is anyone NOT a member of their school's pre-pharmacy club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ca05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to pharmacy school this Fall and so far I have yet to attend any pre-pharm club meetings because I usually have to work in the evenings when the meetings are held. Someone in one of my labs (who happens to be an officer in the club) says it will look bad on my application if I'm not in the pre-pharm club or any of the other pre-health clubs on campus. I have a part time job, volunteer at an independent pharmacy and have several other ECs including research, so does it really matter if I'm not in this club?
Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to pharmacy school this Fall and so far I have yet to attend any pre-pharm club meetings because I usually have to work in the evenings when the meetings are held. Someone in one of my labs (who happens to be an officer in the club) says it will look bad on my application if I'm not in the pre-pharm club or any of the other pre-health clubs on campus. I have a part time job, volunteer at an independent pharmacy and have several other ECs including research, so does it really matter if I'm not in this club?

I wasn't in the pre-pharm club during undergrad (or any other club, association, etc.)

i am not in any pre-health clubs either...tho i am applying now~ i hope it doesnt matter...i volunteer at hospital and have research too...lets cross our fingers then =]

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in a pre-pharmacy club either...but I don't really have a choice, considering there is no such club at my university. I think as long as you can show your interest in and commitment to pharmacy in some way, such as with volunteering or working in a pharmacy, that is good enough. Makes sense to me that adcoms looking at two students alike in every other way would look more favorably upon the student who actually had some experience in a pharmacy setting, rather than the student who is just in a pre-pharmacy club.

I recently got accepted to a pharm school. I wasnt a part of pre-pharm club either. Was a honor society member which had only 1 manditory meeting per semester. Admission committe also takes into account that if you have a job, volunteer work etc etc. So nothing negative about it , you have plenty of other stuff to put on your resume. You ll be fine.

There is no point in joining a pre-pharm club. It doesn't give you any advantage on your application unless you take a leadership role in the club (really leadership in any club would also do). The only reason you would join the club is because their may be people who can give you advice on classes to take, hints for PCAT, or application process help.

It's not going to keep you out of school. I would say that the officer you talked to thinks that being an officer is going to greatly improve the chances of getting in. The reality is, it does help but only so much. I have seen officers from my year and the year after mine not get accepted. It ultimately comes down to what you bring to the table come admissions time (PCAT, GPA, pre-req GPA, LOR, interview, personal statement, etc). It does look good that you hold an officer position in a student org, regardless of what it's focus is or a leadership position in some other aspect of the university. We have positions called ambassadors and they give campus tours to prospective new students and that sort of thing looks good on apps.

I'm not a member of the Pre-Pharm club, or any club for that matter.

I was going to join the LIU Radio Station, but all they play is rap, r&b, hip hop, exactly all of the music that I HATE. They don't let you play whatever you want. Most of my type of music is heavy metal, death metal, hard rock, black metal, thrash metal, etc.

got into 2 of 3. wasn't a part of a prepharm club or any club for that matter

No, I don't believe it will hurt your chances. I wasn't in any clubs at all and still got into 3 schools.

definitely not necessary. unless u were an officer in the club it might not even be worth mentioning over other ec's that were much more involving.

I don't have a prepharm club at my school, but I plan on starting one up this fall. President/founder sounds good on applications!

I don't have a prepharm club at my school, but I plan on starting one up this fall. President/founder sounds good on applications!

I'm thinking about starting one at my school too. How do you go about doing that? I know you have to talk to student affairs and all that.

And is this person on an admissions committee, that s/he is suddenly an expert on what looks good or bad on an application?

And is this person on an admissions committee, that s/he is suddenly an expert on what looks good or bad on an application?

Seriously, good point.

meh, the age-old argument over to be, or not to be (in a pre-health club)...

Never worry about padding your application with pre-pharm activities, instead, worry and speculate whether there's anything else you can do to make the campus life and community around you better. Don't worry - you'll get into Pharm schools based on the special merits that make you unique. :thumbup:

I wasn't in pre-pharm club or any other club in undergrad. Quite frankly I don't think that it really matters if you're in this particular club or not. It's my understanding that the point of the club is to give you more info about the profession. It doesn't improve or worsen your chances of admission.

LOL I know, I know.. I figured it wouldn't matter too much, I'm just getting ready to apply soon and stressing over all the little details! So I appreciate the reassurance and input from everyone here :)

Applied two schools; accepted two school. Not a member of any organization on campus. But I did work full-time while attending school part-time and volunteered at a local free clinic.

I would think that being the founding member/president wouldn't look be a bad thing. Just don't let it hurt your grades.

i was not a part of my undergrad's pre pharm club... made it to pharm school w/ options of a few schools.. :) Good luck to all!!