1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is anyone out there starting older?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Selinaam, Apr 6, 2000.

1. Selinaam

Selinaam Junior Member

I am 28 years old and currently completing undergrad work. I am interested in DO school and wonder just what kind of demands I can expect and how this may affect my life. I feel some what old for the undertaking, especially since it will be quite some time before I make an income. Any kindred spirits or wise folks out there? I have done a fair amount of research but hearing true accounts would be valuable. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Howdy,

What kind of info are you looking for? I started med school at 33 and one of my classmates started at 48. I am not married nor do I have any kids, so I didn't really have any family problems, but there are plenty in my class that do have families, so it can be done very successfully! [​IMG]

Billie, MS-II
    WVSOM

4. riverweb

riverweb Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, I'm 43 and starting this Fall. And I'm not old yet! How did you get so old at such a young age?

5. Nanon

Nanon An urban myth.
    10+ Year Member

I'm 31 and two years away from completing my undergrad degree. Married, caretaker for my mom, etc... And ya, my energy level ain't what it was when I was 21 (can't pull those all night drinking binges anymore!). But I am far from a dottering old lady. What has helped me keep going is to THINK YOUNG! DO NOT buy age appropriate clothes! DO NOT buy into the idea that you're "supposed" to be a homeowner/parent/whatever at some particular magic age. Life for a lot of us just doesn't work out like that - Thank your favorite diety here!

Happy not to be a pod-

Nanon

6. dolly

dolly Member
    10+ Year Member

Selinaam you are not old. I am just getting into my sciences (I currently have two degrees in a liberal arts field.) I am going to be into my 40's when I begin applying to med schools. Is there a profession that you feel equally drawn to? Do you have family obligations? I've never been married and have no children so I am not financially or emotionally responsible to another individual. But more importantly, after taking my desire to God, with lots of meditation and prayer, I know this is the route I should be on. I have met very old 17 year old students and very young 85 year old students. I no longer place any value on chronological age. If you truly want to be a medical physician you must look at your future logically. The fact is, you will be "x" years old whether or not you become a doctor in "y" years. If you are married, this is an issue that concerns you and your spouse, if you are not, youth is still enveloping you. (P.S. I began college when I was 17 as a pre-med student, but due to having to care for an ailing parent, I took another path -- the desire for med school has not diminished, my parents have since passed, and now life is allowing me to pursue my intended goal).

7. Carbon Klein

Carbon Klein Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm 28 and optimistically will matriculate into a 7 year MD/PhD program in Aug and hopefully in 2007, I will start an 8 year residency training in neurological surgery! [​IMG] Age is not important to me. Only motivation and passion. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised when you start and see that you're actually either normal or young! Lots of "older" students, and married too.

8. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

28 is not, I repeat not considered old as relates to going towards medical school. At 38 you'd better start to hurry. At 48 you will be a rare exception.

9. whynotme?

whynotme? Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am a 29 year old that is going to start my prereqs this summer. I think that older students definitely have more "world" knowledge [​IMG] and I think they have had more time to mature and consider what they really want in life ( this is my situation [​IMG] )
    I don't think that you should think of your age...you should think about all the years that you would be able to something that will really make you happy and be helping others in the process ")