Is anyone out there still studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my step one in 5 weeks and I'm starting to lose it a little. I can't sleep at night and whenever I do sleep I dream about multiple choice questions. It's scary, my heart is racing and I have a constant headache.

I don't know if it's burnout or what.

Part of the problem is that I don't know anyone who's also taking the test. Most probably there aren't any this year. Stress is so easy if you can share it with others.

So, anyone, please tell me you're freaking out just as bad. That It's not just me.

Also, if you have any advice I would really appreciate it. On how to calm down, that is. I shouldn't be this nervous 5 weeks out.

Members don't see this ad.

Bell, if you are this nervous 5 weeks out from the test, then it may be wise to go talk with your school counselor or student affairs dean. You may need medication to help control your anxiety. A little bit of anxiety can be a great help in boosting your score, but too much can be detrimental!

Some general things to do to control anxiety are to go to bed at the same time every night, wake up at the same morning, get a lot of exercise, and do some form of meditation or yoga. I usually start getting really spastic a week before the exam, but I rarely have nightmares or dream about multiple choice questions.

If you are spastic because of poor Kaplan qbank performance like a lot of people initially are, then you should know that 50-55% on qbank usually translates to a passing score on the real thing. 65% is usually above the national mean. Of course this can't be written in stone, but it certainly was true in my case and a lot of other posters have had similar experiences.

Just don't wait until it's too late to seek help.

Hi, I am in the same situation as you. I am schedule to take it in about 4 weeks, and I am getting very nervous! I haven't been having dreams about the exam, but my dreams have been very vivid lately!!! I have been practically locked up in my house! Anyway, I am trying to get reassurance from others who have taken the exam and just trying to do my best. If I really am not scoring well on QBank by the time I will take it, then, I will postpone it a little.
By the way, I found this on another website...I don't know how accurate it is, but it seems to be more true than not.
Keep posting on here about your experiences studying, etc., bec. like you, the rest of us who will be taking it soon need support!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

Here is the Truth: This is what the Kaplan Staff Says:

If you do a diagnostic Kaplan CD (350 q), the QBank, or the QBook regularly:

Whatever your score is as an aggregate, composite score, you add 15% and that will give you a good estimate of what you can expect on the REAL exam.

Aim for a 65% and you will get an 80. This method is almost guaranteed to be withing 13-17% of your final USMLE score. If you are consistently scoring in the 65-70 range, you will get between an 80 and 85 on the real USMLE.

They have been right on target on guessing future scores.

Originally posted by BellKicker
I can't sleep at night and whenever I do sleep I dream about multiple choice questions.

This used to happen to me before the MCATs....it may be due to studying late at night. Make sure you do something relaxing before you go to sleep....read a book, watch TV, or just veg out. And I also agree with Geek Medic....maybe you need some medication for anxiety. Be careful! And good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thanks for the replies all of you.

Geek Medic: I don't know about medication. I actually thought about metoprolol or something like that but it seems kind of freaky to have to rely on drugs to function. Part of the problem is that there just isn't anyone to talk to. We have no councellors who know anything about the USMLE. One teacher I talked to was really hostile (or jealous) when he heard about it. Don't even get me started on that guy ("ha, multiple choice tests are so easy; you can always figure out the answers". what a *****).

As for exercise...... I clocked a 15:10 for the 5000 just one hour ago which is a PR for me out of competition. Ok, that could mean absolutely nothing to you but it was a good feeling.

Peeshee, glad, I'm not alone. You keep posting too. I haven't started qBank yet. I'm just getting the one month subscription. I'm a little anxious to find out where I stand. I am doing irevu right now (which is a sucky program if you ask me but I really like questions). I'm scoring all right on physio, micro and pharma (around 70%) but the pathology on there is just nuts. They give you this teeny tiny picture of some kind of lymph node or something and you have to diagnose the kind of cancer. I'm probably averaging 40-50% there. On one set of 20 (all path) I got a 25%!! That's just a little better than random choices. All the questions were hematology with little smudgy pictures.

Later. Feeling calm.

Relax. You will do fine!

Beta blockers are used primarily for on-the-spot relaxation. Anxiolytics are primarily used for long-term treatment of anxiety.

Is irevu the same thing as medrevu? If so, then I thought medrevu sucked big time. I did about 200 questions then called it quits. I signed up for Kaplan's qbank and I'm really glad that I did!!

Keep the studying up and you'll do fine. It's amazing how much stuff comes together and makes sense in the final days of studying!

:clap:

Whoa, Geek Medic, you thought medRevu was that bad? I guess I can look forward to qBank then.

And I realize I have to review my anxiolytics, too:) .