Is anyone thinking about cancelling and writing in January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aranza

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am scheduled to write the MCAT on Sept 7th but now I'm thinking about rescheduling to Jan 2013 as I don't think I will have enough time to study and put in practice tests. So I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am scheduled to write the MCAT on Sept 7th but now I'm thinking about rescheduling to Jan 2013 as I don't think I will have enough time to study and put in practice tests. So I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Depends on where you are right now in your study schedule. How much content review have you done? Have you taken any practice test and if so, what was your scores? I think you have enough time to study and do well if you are committed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where you are right now in your study schedule. How much content review have you done? Have you taken any practice test and if so, what was your scores? I think you have enough time to study and do well if you are committed.

I've only completed BR chem but I have to review everything again and I'm done about half of EK Bio. I haven't taken orgo chem so I would have to learn all of it by myself which is one of the main reasons for deferring it.

i'm in the same boat as you. in fact, I've only gotten through half of my physics review so far. I realize that having to study throughout fall semester will suck, but imo it'll be worth it if you're not taking too many credits. you'll have the opportunity to really master the science and it'll give you plenty of time for practice passages and AAMCs.

Ya but now that I actually started studying for it I realized how important time is and I for sure won't be wasting it during the fall. Let me know what you decide!

You don't "write" the MCAT. You "take" it. The MCAT is already written. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Ok..

Canadians say "write". I normally would say write the mcat.

Ya I'm Canadian lol

I really think it's far too early to tell if you need to reschedule to january. There's still 2 months until the september test date... I think having two months of solid study leading right up to the MCAT would be far better than 2 months of study, followed by fall semester (which lets face it, studying during the semester is essentially impossible if you have any friends at all), and then a few random weeks to study right before your january MCAT. Just my $.02, although I have been contemplating the exact same thing as you.

fffffuuuuuuuuu guys I just realized that there are no test dates October thru December!! LOLOL wow what am I supposed to do? I'm on Day 6 of Sn2ed's schedule.

fffffuuuuuuuuu guys I just realized that there are no test dates October thru December!! LOLOL wow what am I supposed to do? I'm on Day 6 of Sn2ed's schedule.

Just take the latest possible date? Don't rely so heavily on those things and instead plan out a more intensive personal review schedule. Heck I crammed MCAT in 5 days and got a 36.

You don't "write" the MCAT. You "take" it. The MCAT is already written. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

A lot of the rest of the world (aka not America- Canada, India, etc.) says "write" when referring to exams.

You're not really "taking" your exam anywhere. The exam is still at the testing certain, or wherever. So the same could be said to you.

Critiques of lexicon, after a certain point, are unneeded. After all, these are the slight changes that can accumulate to create a language.

On a different note, the keys are great.

You have a lot to do, but you have a lot of time. You should wait until the final day you can reschedule and if you are not ready then reschedule to January.

A lot of the rest of the world (aka not America- Canada, India, etc.) says "write" when referring to exams.

You're not really "taking" your exam anywhere. The exam is still at the testing certain, or wherever. So the same could be said to you.

Critiques of lexicon, after a certain point, are unneeded. After all, these are the slight changes that can accumulate to create a language.

On a different note, the keys are great.

I'm a "do" guy myself.

"Did you do the MCAT?" "Yeah I did it and it was ok."

Hey Bpatient!!

OP: my advice = study for now. don't decide now. decide when you have to as the date approaches. study well until then,.

Members don't see this ad :)
Troll, that's how.

Not trolling, brosky.

8o5Zj.jpg

I can't prove to you that I only had under a week to cram but hey it was the case, and it wasn't pleasant.

Not trolling, brosky.

8o5Zj.jpg

I can't prove to you that I only had under a week to cram but hey it was the case, and it wasn't pleasant.

Now that I think about it, here's a clearer explanation of how this was pulled off.

The intrinsic edge I have is that I'm majoring in biochemistry, so pretty much I've mastered all the tested bio / ochem / genchem content even before starting the MCAT reviewing process. I ended up only spending about 2 days going through those three sections from my kaplan textbook, just skimming all the general concepts and refreshing them from my memory.

For physics, same except I read a bit more indepth since though most of the tested phys stuff is elementary, it's still a very broad spectrum of material so I had all but forgotten them since learning them 3 years ago.

I had more or less no time to practice verbal / writing, so I ended up just spending 1 day on them reading up the kaplan strategy guide on HOW to handle them in general, and kind of imagine using those strategies in practice in my head. Other than that I only skimmed a few answered examples to see how they are like.

So in the end, getting a 36 after only 5 days of cramming was a combination of having prior knowledge from my curriculum, and sheer luck, oh and a bit of extra motivation (my friend only crammed MCAT for 3 weeks, also without any practice, back in April, and got a 35 - I'll be sure to brag at him once he gets back from his summer vacation heh).

The above post proves the MCAT isn't testing how much you know but if you are able to critical think and apply basic knowledge you know.

Now that I think about it, here's a clearer explanation of how this was pulled off.

The intrinsic edge I have is that I'm majoring in biochemistry, so pretty much I've mastered all the tested bio / ochem / genchem content even before starting the MCAT reviewing process. I ended up only spending about 2 days going through those three sections from my kaplan textbook, just skimming all the general concepts and refreshing them from my memory.

For physics, same except I read a bit more indepth since though most of the tested phys stuff is elementary, it's still a very broad spectrum of material so I had all but forgotten them since learning them 3 years ago.

I had more or less no time to practice verbal / writing, so I ended up just spending 1 day on them reading up the kaplan strategy guide on HOW to handle them in general, and kind of imagine using those strategies in practice in my head. Other than that I only skimmed a few answered examples to see how they are like.

So in the end, getting a 36 after only 5 days of cramming was a combination of having prior knowledge from my curriculum, and sheer luck, oh and a bit of extra motivation (my friend only crammed MCAT for 3 weeks, also without any practice, back in April, and got a 35 - I'll be sure to brag at him once he gets back from his summer vacation heh).

Holy crap!! I'm aiming for a 32 and finished content review 1 week ago, with 2.5 weeks until my exam. Did you just study, or did you also practice?

Holy crap!! I'm aiming for a 32 and finished content review 1 week ago, with 2.5 weeks until my exam. Did you just study, or did you also practice?

Just studied. That's the whole point of cramming heheh, to bypass the "practice" part and rely solely on the short-term memory.

The above post proves the MCAT isn't testing how much you know but if you are able to critical think and apply basic knowledge you know.

I agree with this less and less after every full length I take. A lot of times the knowledge you have to apply isn't basic. It's knowledge acquired from a very solid content base.

Just studied. That's the whole point of cramming heheh, to bypass the "practice" part and rely solely on the short-term memory.

Maybemed, if you think the above post proves that, the one I just quoted certainly disproves it.

I agree with this less and less after every full length I take. A lot of times the knowledge you have to apply isn't basic. It's knowledge acquired from a very solid content base.

Maybemed, if you think the above post proves that, the one I just quoted certainly disproves it.

To be fair, I am enrolled in a very intensive biochemistry program that covers all the bio/chem/ochem stuff in so much detail that MCAT material is a cakewalk. If you subtract those advantages then my score would probably have been closer to 30.

In a way my curriculum "primes" me to be able to handle questions in these subjects with minimal reviewing prep, hence I only needed to skim and refresh my memory in the majority of the cases, effectively cutting down the studying time from months down to 5 days.

Planning on retaking in January if I scored low on the June MCAT. I'm already getting old (abt to turn 24 in Nov), but I want to make sure I improve the second time around even if I'll have to apply next cycle.

Because of people like this, I am forever convinced that there are people out there that are naturally more gifted than I am.

Biology Major here who is struggling to pull even an 8 in verbal after months and months of practice.