Is Anyone Using the Old TPR Hyperlearning Workbook for the 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoljansRightBicep

Call Me Poppie
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched around but couldn't find a good answer to this question.

Is anyone using the old (2012, I think) The Princeton Review Hyperlearning Workbook to study for the new MCAT? Specifically, I was just going to use the bio section.

What are your thoughts? Is it a waste of time? Good practice for content review?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an outdated one from 2008 (got it from a friend whose actually a resident now but had their MCAT books left over) and didn't use it. Seemed a few passages were taken out in comparison to the new one released this year. Don't know much about the 2012 one though.

I had an outdated one from 2008 (got it from a friend whose actually a resident now but had their MCAT books left over) and didn't use it. Seemed a few passages were taken out in comparison to the new one released this year. Don't know much about the 2012 one though.

Thanks for the info. So besides the addition of the psych/soc section for the 2015 TPR Science Workbook, you didn't see much change (as compared to the 2008)?

Have you taken the MCAT yet, or are you still studying?

I was wondering about this too. With the new MCAT shift towards more experimental passages & data analysis, I'm not sure if I should spend time using this book or the newer 2015 books such as EK's 30 minute exams which have more experimental passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about this too. With the new MCAT shift towards more experimental passages & data analysis, I'm not sure if I should spend time using this book or the newer 2015 books such as EK's 30 minute exams which have more experimental passages.

I actually have the latest EK package (9th ed), and I really like their 30-min exams. I saw one user on SDN who took the MCAT say that they were the most representative of the MCAT out of all the practice material he took, besides the AAMC FL. If there was more EK material like this, I'd use it. I'm just looking for the next best thing (I have all the AAMC Q'packs).

I actually have the latest EK package (9th ed), and I really like their 30-min exams. I saw one user on SDN who took the MCAT say that they were the most representative of the MCAT out of all the practice material he took, besides the AAMC FL. If there was more EK material like this, I'd use it. I'm just looking for the next best thing (I have all the AAMC Q'packs).

I like them too - they're challenging and seem to match the experimental thinking you need for the real MCAT. I would guess the next best thing would be the TPR Science Workbook - however, I'm not sure if the old one is that relevant now (I know it was super helpful for the MCAT a few years ago). I'd think their 2015 workbook would be very valuable but it's expensive unless you take a prep course with TPR

The old TPR Science Workshop Hyperlearning is not helpful at all for the new MCAT. I would not waste your time if you have the old book. I don't know about the new TPR. The new MCAT is experimental research-based with a totally different emphasis.

The old TPR Science Workshop Hyperlearning is not helpful at all for the new MCAT. I would not waste your time if you have the old book. I don't know about the new TPR. The new MCAT is experimental research-based with a totally different emphasis.

Thanks for the input! Just so I can get a little perspective, have you taken the new MCAT?

Thanks for the input! Just so I can get a little perspective, have you taken the new MCAT?
Would you recommend the EK 30 min exams instead then,as they are more experimental? I haven't seen many people comment on the EK 30 min exams tho, so i have been doubting their effectiveness.. (havent tried them yet).

Would you recommend the EK 30 min exams instead then,as they are more experimental? I haven't seen many people comment on the EK 30 min exams tho, so i have been doubting their effectiveness.. (havent tried them yet).

I can't say I'd recommend them instead of TPRHL, since I've only glanced at the latter, but I can recommend them generally. I think that they are very true to how the MCAT asks questions (and so do many others who have actually taken the new MCAT, based on their comments here on SDN). They're great practice - I especially have found their biology exams to be good training for experimental interpretation.

My impression is that the material from the AAMC is the best (duh), followed by the EK material (for now). My question is, once I've done both, what next?

I can't say I'd recommend them instead of TPRHL, since I've only glanced at the latter, but I can recommend them generally. I think that they are very true to how the MCAT asks questions (and so do many others who have actually taken the new MCAT, based on their comments here on SDN). They're great practice - I especially have found their biology exams to be good training for experimental interpretation.

My impression is that the material from the AAMC is the best (duh), followed by the EK material (for now). My question is, once I've done both, what next?
Right, okay. TPRH actually has some good bio experimental passages too, so I guess I would be using that as well. Other than those 2, Im also planning to use Khan (only for bio/biochem) & TBR too

I have one from 2007. It isn't really representative of the new types of passages. Seems super easy compared to the stuff we do now.
I only use it to practice basic calculations and problem types.

Reactions: 1 user

yes I have. I have also taken the AAMC's official full lenght and all of their new released material. The new MCAT is different from the old in many ways based on my studies of their new released material

yes I have. I have also taken the AAMC's official full lenght and all of their new released material. The new MCAT is different from the old in many ways based on my studies of their new released material

Thank you, I won't waste my time with TPRHL then! Besides the AAMC material, do you have any recommendations for what to study with? Anything that you think is particularly helpful in training for MCAT-like questions? I'm good on content review, I just need to learn the test.

This question asked about the workbook in general so I'm assuming its asking about either verbal or science.

TPRH Verbal workbook is still one of the best resources you'll have for CARS(there were actually people for the old MCAT who thought the workbook was more representative of the real MCAT than AAMC material). There is very little difference between CARs and old verbal. So definitely buy it, whatever version you can find.

Contrary to rumors, while the gen chem focus of the science workbook and old MCAT has changed, there is still physics and organic chemistry on this new MCAT(and depending on what version of test you get it might be a fair amount as some have attested to). Yeah, those passages are probably more experimental and passage based than what you'll find in the workbook but it's still decent practice. Physics, despite all the emphasis on how it will deal with the body now, has not changed as much as people think and is still relevant for this new MCAT. And OCHEM is the rare MCAT subject where you don't really need practice passages to effectively practice it and learn it.

Thank you, I won't waste my time with TPRHL then! Besides the AAMC material, do you have any recommendations for what to study with? Anything that you think is particularly helpful in training for MCAT-like questions? I'm good on content review, I just need to learn the test.

AAMC material is the best and I think it's enough. You can do extra studying like reading research articles relevant to the topics of mcat (biochem, cell bio..). If you can understand research articles and how data is presented, then you will do well. MCAT tests reasoning so knowing the material can only guide you to the right answer. Be able to recognize what each question is really asking you and what they are testing. "based on what is said in the passage, is this the amino acid they are describing...?" You will be able to easily recognize this once you study the AAMC material.

I found EK new full lengths to be helpful for the psych/socio section, but not so much for the physical and biological portions of the exam. Khan academy passages are good to help you get more knowledge, but they are really not in the style of the MCAT. MCAT language is dense, but the topics that they test are basic. So if you can see the big picture instead of focusing on the details, you will succeed.

Last edited:
AAMC material is the best and I think it's enough. You can do extra studying like reading research articles relevant to the topics of mcat (biochem, cell bio..). If you can understand research articles and how data is presented, then you will do well. MCAT tests reasoning so knowing the material can only guide you to the right answer. Be able to recognize what each question is really asking you and what they are testing. "based on what is said in the passage, is this amino acid they are describing...?" You will be able to easily recognize this once you study the AAMC material.

I found EK new full lengths to be helpful for the psych/socio section, but not so much for the physical and biological portions of the exam. Khan academy passages are good to help you get more knowledge, but they are really not in the style of the MCAT.

Thanks for your thoughtful response, I appreciate it!

The 2015 workbook doesn't have all those discretes you had in the 2012 version. The psyc passages in 2015 workbook are excellent. Physics and Chemistry passages for the most part are similar to 2012 i.e. most of them are still not "biologically relevant". Bio passages are also similar to the 2012 version, but there might be more of them..2015 version has 95 bio passages..i forgot how many there were in the 2012 version.

The 2015 workbook doesn't have all those discretes you had in the 2012 version. The psyc passages in 2015 workbook are excellent. Physics and Chemistry passages for the most part are similar to 2012 i.e. most of them are still not "biologically relevant". Bio passages are also similar to the 2012 version, but there might be more of them..2015 version has 95 bio passages..i forgot how many there were in the 2012 version.

It's a bummer you can only get the 2015 version from their class. Those psych/soc passages sure would be nice!