SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

is applying in october considered late?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Reyna, May 31, 2008.

1. Reyna

Reyna 2+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I am retaking my mcats in August and wont be getting my scores back until would applying late september/early october decrease my chances of getting in?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. TexasTriathlete

TexasTriathlete HTFU 5+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2007
    The ATL
    That depends on what your application looks like right now, but probably yes, applying that late will hurt your chances.

Fill the **** out now and put down that you're re-taking the MCAT in september. That way, at least you don't have to wait for like a month to get verified when you're finally complete.
  4. quenton cassidy

quenton cassidy 5+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2008
    I would say its on the later side, but just make sure everything else is complete before hand like TT said
  5. scdocusc

scdocusc 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2006
    a simple answer is no. However, if you lack in either MCAT or GPA your chances are going to start dwindling. I applied in december one year and still got an interview but usually you need steller stats to get a serious look.
  6. PokerDoc

PokerDoc 2+ Year Member

Feb 7, 2008
    if youre all done in october thats not the worst thing in the world but if ur only talking primary app then yeah ur too late
  7. stmclovin

stmclovin 2+ Year Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Nah, I applied to several schools during that time, had my interviews in February-March and was accepted to all of them. The school that I was interviewed early at actually waitlisted me and ranked me kind of low in the waitlist.
  8. Doctor4Life1769

Doctor4Life1769 **tr0llin, ridin dirty** 7+ Year Member

I applied around the time the AMCAS was due -- so super late for MD schools but not that late for DO schools. I got secondaries at every school except 1 MD program (apparently, I missed the memo on their being the only priv school to take only instaters, whoops) ... anyways, I filled 'em out the enxt day and submitted them. Got interview invites within a few weeks later. I elected not to attend the OOS MD interviews b/c of cost and the likelihood of being put on the WL. So, I attended my instate MD programs and 2 DO program interviews (which ranged from Jan to March). Got into 2 DO and WL'ed at the instate programs.

So, if you're going strictly DO -- not gonna hurt you as much (unless you are also looking to apply at TCOM, at which case the deadlines have already passed). If you are also applying MD, it will hurt you ... no doubt about it.