Is applying only to four DO schools risking it?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by NUgirl, Jun 14, 2002.

1. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

I submitted my application a week ago, but I only designated 4 schools: CCOM, PCOM, NYCOM, and NOVA. Is that risking it?

If you feel I need to designate more, do you know if there's a way to designate more schools after submission?

Thank you!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life

too-sweet-phat-cool 4-life Way too Sweet for you!!!!

I applied to 8 DO schools, so I would have applied to more if I were you. It depends on what your stats are!! In a few weeks, AACOMAS will send you your completed file and there will be a option on it to send out to more schools. You are still very early in the game, so just relax and wait for the form. If I were you I would apply to as many schools as you could afford. That way you are not left doubting yourself come interview time.
    Luke

4. njdesi

njdesi Senior Member

I just got my MCAT scores, a 23 Q, and with that I wasnt going to risk only applying to a handful. I will take the August MCAT, but I want to maximize my chances so I applied to 11 DO schools : NJSOM, PCOM, UNECOM, LECOM, DMU, UHS, KCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, TUCOM, and OSUCOM. I submitted AACOMAS on Monday. I would reccomend seeing if you can apply to more. GOOD LUCK!

5. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    NUGirl

I applied to 5 DO schools.

The schools you applied to : NYCOM, PCOM, CCOM, and NSUCOM are some of the more competitive DO schools.

As long as your application is competitive for the statistics posted by all the schools (GPA 3.2+ and MCAT 24+) than you should be in good shape for an interview at least.

My advisor told me don't apply to any school that you wouldn't want to travel to for an interview or end up attending.

If I had taken that advice in the beginning, I would have only applied to 2 schools.

Good luck.

6. mddo2b

mddo2b STOP PAGING ME....PLEASE!

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree that you should apply to schools u want to go to. I applied to just NYCOM and I got in. Honestly, if you have the money and you are nervous, apply to more.

7. JonDO

JonDO Member

Attending Physician
    I definitely agree that you should apply to more schools. remember that no matter how good your credentials are, there are bound to be a good amount of sudents with the same, if not better credentials. So play it safe. :)

8. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I applied to 4 D.O. schools, and only sent back the secondary for 3 of them. (One was OUCOM, and I didn't want to sign something promising to practice in Ohio for five years). I went with the advice given above in that there were only 4 D.O. schools in areas that I would want to live anyway.

Doc Oc
    UNECOM 2005

9. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JPHazelton:
    [QB]

As long as your application is competitive for the statistics posted by all the schools (GPA 3.2+ and MCAT 24+) than you should be in good shape for an interview at least.

My advisor told me don't apply to any school that you wouldn't want to travel to for an interview or end up attending.

QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My stats are above those you posted. I have a higher MCAT than 24, it's not a 30 though, and my GPA is 3.60. That's why I thought I can risk it by applying to just four. But I also know that stats arent everything. So I dont know if I did the right thing or not. I simply chose the schools that I could see myself attending if I get in.

Thanks also to everyone who replied. I may add on AZCOM, KCOM, and UHSCOM. Those are the three that I had originally designated and then removed after some thinking.

What is the average number that most apply to?

10. bigfkd22

bigfkd22 Member

If this forum teaches anything it's that medical school admissions are anything but predictable. Apply to more schools. THE MONEY SAVED IS NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE.

11. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    NUGirl

I know more than anybody that stats aren't the most important thing.

What do you know about Osteopathic medicine?

What do you know about the schools you are applying to?

What kind of medical experience do you have?

What kind of letters of recommendation do you have?

Have you shadowed a DO? Did you get a letter from him/her?

What type of volunteer work or extracurricular activities have you participated in?

All of these things are important.

If your MCAT is between 24 and 30 and you certainly have a great GPA, then I would make sure the other things are in place.

Read up about osteopathy. I recommend "The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America" by Norman Gevitz.

After that, there is nothing more you can do except wait for secondaries. Start on your essays for the secondaries now. You can do this by making a list of reasons you want to attend each school...that's basically what they ask anyway. Also, what traits will make you a good osteopathic physician?

If you have any questions, pease feel free to email or post here.

Good luck.

12. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JPHazelton:
    <strong>NUGirl

I know more than anybody that stats aren't the most important thing.

What do you know about Osteopathic medicine?

What do you know about the schools you are applying to?

What kind of medical experience do you have?

What kind of letters of recommendation do you have?

Have you shadowed a DO? Did you get a letter from him/her?

What type of volunteer work or extracurricular activities have you participated in?

All of these things are important.

If your MCAT is between 24 and 30 and you certainly have a great GPA, then I would make sure the other things are in place.

Read up about osteopathy. I recommend "The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America" by Norman Gevitz.

After that, there is nothing more you can do except wait for secondaries. Start on your essays for the secondaries now. You can do this by making a list of reasons you want to attend each school...that's basically what they ask anyway. Also, what traits will make you a good osteopathic physician?

If you have any questions, pease feel free to email or post here.

Good luck.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for all your suggestions. I will definately try to get a hold of that book. You are the second person who has recommended it! :)

Good luck to you too next year at PCOM!

13. titan

titan Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by NUgirl:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JPHazelton:
    [QB]

QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My stats are above those you posted. I have a higher MCAT than 24, it's not a 30 though, and my GPA is 3.60. That's why I thought I can risk it by applying to just four. But I also know that stats arent everything. So I dont know if I did the right thing or not. I simply chose the schools that I could see myself attending if I get in.

Thanks also to everyone who replied. I may add on AZCOM, KCOM, and UHSCOM. Those are the three that I had originally designated and then removed after some thinking.

What is the average number that most apply to?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">NUgirl,

My stats are similar to yours and I applied to 6 schools (AZCOM, CCOM, DMU, KCOM, OSUCOM, and PCOM). I got interviews at each of them, but only accepted three of my interviews. I interviewed adn was accepted at AZCOM, DMU, and KCOM. If it wasn't for my experiences at AZCOM I would have gone to my interviews at PCOM and CCOM, but I was WAY too inmpressed with AZCOM and I didn't want to spend the extra $$$. AZCOM is definitely the right school for me and I would highly encourage you to apply there. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. Good luck to you in all of the decisions you will be making!

14. apgar7

apgar7 Member

NUgirl,

To be on the safe side it is probably a good idea to add a few more schools to your list. Given your stats, I think applying to any more than 9 or 10 schools would be a waste of money. Now, if money is truly a huge issue for you, you may still be able to only apply to 4 schools while still maximizing your chances of getting interviews. For example, I live in California and I know that Western U and Touro U tend to take california residents. Not only that, they tend to take students who graduated from UC schools. This put me in a strong position already to get interviews at these schools because I'm from Cali and graduated from UCSD. Are you from the east coast? If you are, then you probably got a pretty good chance of getting an interview at PCOM, NOVA and NYCOM given that you have some interesting background experiences in your file. Anyway, research the conditions that make it easier to get accepted to certain schools and then determine how much money you are willing to spend.

15. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by apgar7:
    <strong>NUgirl,

To be on the safe side it is probably a good idea to add a few more schools to your list. Given your stats, I think applying to any more than 9 or 10 schools would be a waste of money. Now, if money is truly a huge issue for you, you may still be able to only apply to 4 schools while still maximizing your chances of getting interviews. For example, I live in California and I know that Western U and Touro U tend to take california residents. Not only that, they tend to take students who graduated from UC schools. This put me in a strong position already to get interviews at these schools because I'm from Cali and graduated from UCSD. Are you from the east coast? If you are, then you probably got a pretty good chance of getting an interview at PCOM, NOVA and NYCOM given that you have some interesting background experiences in your file. Anyway, research the conditions that make it easier to get accepted to certain schools and then determine how much money you are willing to spend.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Money isnt an issue. I just picked the four schools that I KNOW that I would attend. Im from the midwest, by the way, so I know that it might be a problem with PCOM and NYCOM, especially with NYCOM (since its' class is made up of only 20% out of staters.) Im really hoping for CCOM. Thanks for the reply! :)

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

I emailed AACOM about possibly designating two more schools. Their response was $50 for one and $90 for two. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!! :mad: If I had designated 2 more on my app, it would have only cost $25 dollars for each! I know not applying to all at once was my fault, and I expected a late fee maybe $20 dollars TOTAL, but I didnt expect a $25 dollars more per school one! And I just submitted like a week ago. Why teh heck are they charging SO MUCH more for? Even the money grubbing AAMC allows you to designate more without an extra late charge. I am so mad at them!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

18. LynnGweeny

LynnGweeny Member

Hey NU girl,
    I personally think that you stand a pretty good chance, especially coming from Northwestern University. What I would focus on now (if you haven't already) is shadowing DO's, esp. since you need a rec letter for CCOM. Try contacting the IL osteopathic society (1-800-621-1773 ext. 8174 or [email protected]) and requesting a list of their members and contact info. From there, you can select docs with specialties that interest you and write to them about shadowing opportunities. Best o' luck to you!
    Fellow NU'er,
    LynnGweeny :)

19. NUgirl

NUgirl Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LynnGweeny:
    <strong>Hey NU girl,
    I personally think that you stand a pretty good chance, especially coming from Northwestern University. What I would focus on now (if you haven't already) is shadowing DO's, esp. since you need a rec letter for CCOM. Try contacting the IL osteopathic society (1-800-621-1773 ext. 8174 or [email protected]) and requesting a list of their members and contact info. From there, you can select docs with specialties that interest you and write to them about shadowing opportunities. Best o' luck to you!
    Fellow NU'er,
    LynnGweeny :) </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I really appreciate the suggestion of calling the osteopathic society. I never thought about that! I might just call to shadow another doctor. Thanks! :)

I already shadowed a DO (an OB/GYN), who graduated from CCOM. And she is willing to write me a letter of recommendation. I hope the fact that she is a CCOM graduate will help me with CCOM, since that is my first choice. I have heard some GREAT things about that school, but i dont want to visit the medical school yet because I dont want to fall in love with it and then get disappointed if I dont get an interview.

Lynn, do you know where you are going next year? Best of luck to you too!!!!! :)

20. jimdo

jimdo Senior Member

We can all give you our advice, but the best advice would probably to go with what your gut tells you. After all, in the end its only you who will feel comfortable with where and to how many schools you apply.

21. bluebird

bluebird Junior Member

Hi there,

It is up to you what you make of it.
    My stats were 3.5 undergrad, 3.8 grad
    23 MCAT and I only applied to NSUCOM and PCOM
    I was accepted by both schools partly because of my personal statement.
    I did not list my accomplishments since they are on the application anyway, but rather I let them know more about myself, how I see myself as an Osteopathic doctor, basically I gave them a glimpse into my future.

good luck!

22. cp00739

cp00739 Member

applying to four schools is not risking it....if anything its playing it safe on your wallet...dont sweat it..if you are confident with your application applying to four schools is perfect..its a hell of alot better than blowing hundreds of dollars