Is applying to both DO and MD look bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nasem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im curious.... don't the adcoms get unhappy when they find out an applicant applied to both DO and MD schools equally (say 5 MD and 5 DO schools)

what would you say if (during the DO interview) they asked you why you applied to MD schools? is it fair to answer the truth and say that I applied to all the schools I found myself to being a good fit (GPA / MCAT wise)

based on my undergrad / post-bacc course work, I am more tempted to apply to both schools

Members don't see this ad.

Just say you looked at the programs that you thought you would fit in at.

I applied to both, and when I asked, i answered truthfully and said my decision will be based on which school I liked better, no matter what degree they gave. I don't htink they minded, I got into all the DO schoools I interviewed at. I even applied the year before only to MD schools, although I did have a very good reason, one of the required transcripts took way to long to arrive, and then I needed to get it verified for American equivalency, and by that time, it was already February, so I figured I'd hold off and apply the next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hope it didn't impact your application/interview negatively; if it did, I think that is a school you shouldn't be interested in.

There are certainly good reasons one might be only interested in DO schools (like OMT, maybe like their perspective better, have DO's in the family, a good experience with a DO in the past, etc.), but they shouldn't look down on applicants that were interested in a good medical education from the schools that offered one. The fact is that many MD schools are "waking up" to the whole body paradigm, and handle cultural competency, body as a unit, and similar issues equally well as their DO counterparts. Unless the school is hellbent that every physician has to know OMT to be a good physician (which I disagree with, hence I wouldn't want to go to that school), it shouldn't be a negative.

In fact, I had a couple of MD's sit on the interview panel at various DO schools, so you'd better be careful how respectful you are of the MD side of things if asked about this topic. You might not know in advance the backgrounds of everyone in the room.

The radiologist who interviewed me at A&M gave me :thumbup: for applying to both. He thought it showed desire to become a physician and less concern with how I was viewed.

The radiologist who interviewed me at A&M gave me :thumbup: for applying to both. He thought it showed desire to become a physician and less concern with how I was viewed.

That is an excellent way to look at it!!

Of the schools I applied to, I think only NSU asked where I applied, both MD and DO. I just had my interview there and they did bring it up... so prepare yourself just in case.

I wouldn't worry about applying to both, just have some response prepared if they ask you about it and which one you'd prefer.

I think I said something about how becoming a doctor was what was most important to me, no matter MD or DO....it worked.

Good luck!

Question guys, MSU has both an MD and DO school, are you able to apply to both of them ? or you have to pick only 1 ?

I wouldn't worry about applying to both, just have some response prepared if they ask you about it and which one you'd prefer.

I think I said something about how becoming a doctor was what was most important to me, no matter MD or DO....it worked.

Good luck!
AMCAS has no access to AACOMAS and vice versa. I'm not even sure why this question would be asked. If you think it will hurt your chances, just say you only applied osteopathic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would they even care? You might even interview with an MD at a DO school. There isn't some rivalry or anything.

Question guys, MSU has both an MD and DO school, are you able to apply to both of them ? or you have to pick only 1 ?

I don't think MSUCOM and MSUCHM talk about applicants.

no, just apply to both.....i did.... adcoms will respect you and if DO schools ask you why you applied to MD, just answer them honestly....they would know if u r lying or telling the truth...good luck with ur application

VCOM MSI

One other question I have,
I know similar topics have been beaten to death but I couldn't exactly find an answer for this...

I haven't been to medical school yet, but I think I got my mind already set on Internal Medicine and I HIGHLY doubt I'll change my decision (If I change, i'll probebly choose family practice but I still value internal medicine the most)....I know DOs have the ability to apply to MD residencies, but how competitive is Internal medicine for a DO?

good question Nasem, Internal Medicine is open alot more for DO...You have a greater chance of being in FP or IM residency being a DO and then you can subspecialize if you want to. There are many unfilled FP and IM residencies each year according to the AOA match results, so you will have doors open to you...dont worry...go ahead and apply with confidence..

I am leaning more toward IM as my primary choice as well :) Hope this helps

thank you simpleman & navrad

good question Nasem, Internal Medicine is open alot more for DO...You have a greater chance of being in FP or IM residency being a DO and then you can subspecialize if you want to. There are many unfilled FP and IM residencies each year according to the AOA match results, so you will have doors open to you...dont worry...go ahead and apply with confidence..

I am leaning more toward IM as my primary choice as well :) Hope this helps

what about pediatrics?

I applied to both and had no issues. Didn't get the question about whether I applied to both MD and DO. If you do, just answer honestly and say you are more concerned about keeping options open. DO schools aren't going to hate you for applying to MD schools as long as you maintain that you understand the DO philosophy.

I applied to both and had no issues. Didn't get the question about whether I applied to both MD and DO. If you do, just answer honestly and say you are more concerned about keeping options open. DO schools aren't going to hate you for applying to MD schools as long as you maintain that you understand the DO philosophy.

I got this question at an interview: "Are you TOTALLY committed to the osteopathic profession" (as opposed to allopathic). It kinda threw me off guard. I answered as honestly as I could and told them I'm committed to a career as a physician and believe that I identify more closely with the osteopathic philosophy. For whatever that's worth. It was actually a bit of a stressful interview.:( I guess you win some and lose some. Ugh.

I got this question at an interview: "Are you TOTALLY committed to the osteopathic profession" (as opposed to allopathic). It kinda threw me off guard. I answered as honestly as I could and told them I'm committed to a career as a physician and believe that I identify more closely with the osteopathic philosophy. For whatever that's worth. It was actually a bit of a stressful interview.:( I guess you win some and lose some. Ugh.

I think that's a wierd question designed to mess with you. How can you be totally committed if you haven't been accepted anywhere? I would say, "If you accept me, than I will prove my committment." I'm applying to allo and osteo. I feel like at this point, one path or the other will be choosing me.

I think that's a wierd question designed to mess with you. How can you be totally committed if you haven't been accepted anywhere? I would say, "If you accept me, than I will prove my committment." I'm applying to allo and osteo. I feel like at this point, one path or the other will be choosing me.

Weird, right? I mean, I'm committed to medicine for sure, and I do believe that my potential medical approach as a physician is more in line with the osteopathic philosophy, but I think this was an extreme question. I suppose it's best to just be honest. Anyway, I was "messed with" throughout much of the interview. This was just one of a slew of awkward questions. Well, I suppose that's how some interviews go, and it's over now so what can I do? Onward and upward!:thumbup:

Oh no! Was this where I think it was? :(

Friday will be much better, I can feel it!

If it matters, I applied to both because of the numbers. There are so many more MD schools out there, and not all of the DO schools appealed to me. I don't think it should matter anyway.

Weird, right? I mean, I'm committed to medicine for sure, and I do believe that my potential medical approach as a physician is more in line with the osteopathic philosophy, but I think this was an extreme question. I suppose it's best to just be honest. Anyway, I was "messed with" throughout much of the interview. This was just one of a slew of awkward questions. Well, I suppose that's how some interviews go, and it's over now so what can I do? Onward and upward!:thumbup:

I've only had one interview (last year, apparently it didn't go so well) and I remember feeling on the defensive with the first person. He was asking questions in which I thought I had to prove something. I felt like I was being interviewed by my Dad (authorative, judgemental, and traditional as much as I love him).

I had a better conversation with the second person and I felt I could show my best self rather than playing catch up. I think the schools like to see how you interact with different people. Also, I think some of it is to test you and see how you handle pressure.

I'm going to bring some bottled water next time. I hate getting all nervous and trying to talk with a dry mouth.

what did u all write on the unecom secondary??they ask what allo and osteo school you applied to: "list each school on each line"

what did u all write on the unecom secondary??they ask what allo and osteo school you applied to: "list each school on each line"

So does Nova's. I listed everything and they granted me an interview. You do have to sign saying everything was truthful, so I personally wouldn't "lie". I think schools can deny acceptance if they find out you didn't tell the truth. I believe they can also kick you out and revoke your license for the same reason....right? I thought I read about this several years ago somewhere on SDN.