Is applying to medical school and grad school at the same time a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheShaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been contemplating applying to PhD granting programs in the winter while I'm applying to MD right now. I feel like I love both research and medicine and if I get denied one I will still have the other and I will still be happy with my career. Ideally I would like to combine them if I get an MD acceptance but you can't always get what you want. I don't think I have the money or energy left to go through another application cycle so I'd like to get into something by the end of the cycle. Just a note, this is not the product of the stress of the application cycle, this is something that I have contemplated for a long time under a somewhat rational mindset.

I just have a few questions.

1. As this is somewhat of an unconventional approach, does anyone know of any problems that might arise? Is it breaching any ethical guidelines?

2. Are there any SDN-like websites for grad school applications?

3. What are my chances? I hear getting into a PhD program is easier and more certain than MD. Or should I go for a Master's first? The relevant info is in my MDApps.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well... PhD programs do pay you to come out for an interview, so cost wouldn't be too much of an issue...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was originally planning on applying MD/PhD, but I was advised against it. As was said, the lack of publications was somewhat of an issue but it was mainly that I was afraid that I couldn't stand up to the more qualified applicants (keep in mind I was still waiting for my MCAT score) and I really didn't want to reapply. The other reason is that I don't want to do the 80/20 ratio as a physician, I want more of a 50/50 so I felt like doing MD/PhD is a bad idea and somewhat of a waste of NIH funding and 4 years of my life.

Perhaps it was the wrong decision, but I can't really go back on it now.

:eek: They pay for your flight and room?

It probably depends on the program you apply to, and your stats. But if you're invited for interview then your stats are probably good enough. I know engineering and health/bio PhD programs are known to pay for the trip/hotel.

PhD programs in the sciences pay for travel expenses. Their interviews aren't really interviews in the medical school sense. Once you get an interview you are pretty much in. It's more of a chance for you to see the school, talk faculty, and make a decision on where you want to go.

Hmm, I see. It looks like the applicant has more control in the process compared to medical school applications.

Do you guys think I have enough to make it in to a PhD program? Assuming I have a halfway decent GRE score.

I'd ask around in your lab about the PhD option, since it depends on a lot of factors.

I can't help with anything else, but you might want to check out Grad Cafe for SDN-like grad forums.

Hmm, I see. It looks like the applicant has more control in the process compared to medical school applications.

Do you guys think I have enough to make it in to a PhD program? Assuming I have a halfway decent GRE score.

Based on what you've written, I think the PhD should be your second option. By itself, the PhD could take 6-7 years, especially if you go to a top program. Also don't underestimate the amount of work it will take for you to get out.

My advice: go to medical school.

I can't help with anything else, but you might want to check out Grad Cafe for SDN-like grad forums.

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Based on what you've written, I think the PhD should be your second option. By itself, the PhD could take 6-7 years, especially if you go to a top program. Also don't underestimate the amount of work it will take for you to get out.

My advice: go to medical school.

Yeah, if I am blessed with a situation where I can get into both this cycle, then I'll choose MD. I guess it's the better choice because of the versatility. I was just worried that there were technical problems that I haven't foreseen with applying both at the same time. I understand the difficulties of PhD programs though, they are crazy hard to finish.

One worry on my mind is that if I were to go PhD, I would pursue a subject that is outside of medicine that I feel passionate about (possibly more than medicine). It's really a dilemma, I don't know which one to pick. :(

Also, I know you don't feel like reapplying if you don't get in, but I really think that's a short-term view to take. You might be exhausted right now, but it sounds like you definitely want medicine supplemented with research and you might wind up miserable in a PhD program alone, especially if it's, as you said, outside your area of interest. If for some reason you don't get in, I'd consider trying one more cycle. You're making a pretty big decision about your future and owe it to yourself to take the time to do it right.

Look at some of the MD/MS programs as well. Those might be a really good fit for your goals. Also, spend more time trying to figure out what kind of PhD program might interest you. Depending on your interests, there are programs outside of your typical basic science programs that might fit. I've seen programs like epidemiology, clinical and translational science, tropical medicine, pathology, emerging infectious disease, etc. I just know of a lot of people who chose PhD because medicine didn't pan out and they loved research as an undergrad, but felt the PhD was a mistake when all was said and done. Don't forget to look into the PhD job market issues as well.

Last edited:
As someone who did this, Don't. Ask yourself which of the two branches you truly enjoy and go for it. It becomes a mess later if you decide you want to switch.