Is applying twice worth the price?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabound

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a thread yesterday (thanks to those of you who gave me advice), and most people said, which I already thought, that it's too late in this app cycle for August matriculation. My question is.... is it worth it to apply to the schools I REALLY wanna go to (i.e. CA schools) and try for this year, just so I'd at least be a reapplicant next year?? Basically, how much does it seem to help if you have at least applied before?? I know it's spending some money, but I've heard that the second time around (esp. if you're early in the game) it helps that you've been continually trying??? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied once - to allo schools in Canada, and didn't get in. I applied the second time, to DO schools in the states, and got four acceptances. It was certainly worth it for me.

As others have already mentioned, you are applying very late in the cycle, and your chances of admission at this stage of the game are low, especially for the more established schools.

Take it from me, I think it would be a waste of money, unless you don't mind going to one of the newer DO schools, which may still be taking in applications (which I would advise against, if you have good stats).

You've got three months till the next application cycle begins. Work on your PS now, get your reference letters in order, and have them sent to interfolio (if you want to use that option). This way, as soon as AACOMAS opens the application for '08, you'd be way ahead of the game (by already having PS and reference letters ready), and have your application finalized in less then a week. You could even re-take the MCAT if you so wish.

Well I have all my reference letters ready.. and I'm still working on my PS... what exactly is interfolio?? Also.. my stats aren't that good, so I know my chances are even more slim now... My first choice is Western, and second choice is Touro-CA, but when exactly does the next application cycle begin??

I'll find out my new MCAT score at the end of this month.. so I'll see then if I should retake it or not...

I was thinking maybe I'll still apply to my first and second choice.. just so I can say "hey I applied before??" i guess it would only be a couple hundred more... but maybe worth it if it helps in the long run???

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply now the odds of acceptance are lower than for a rejection, obvisously. More importantly, they may not accept the same LORs from a committe, DO, and/or from other sources. Secondly, the school may ask you "What have you done differently since you last applied" and answering with "I applied early this time", will not suffice.

Save your money and file for the early part of 2008 cycle. You can begin filling out the primary for 2008 admission around May 1st or 15th I can't remember.

Ok, I see your point. But here's my dilemma... as far as I know, my LORs have already been sent to the schools...

What should I do? I'm really confused... And you're right.. there's nothing much more I can do between now and May... I'm starting to work as a nurse aide next week... but that type of experience isn't really too qualifying..

I posted a thread yesterday (thanks to those of you who gave me advice), and most people said, which I already thought, that it's too late in this app cycle for August matriculation. My question is.... is it worth it to apply to the schools I REALLY wanna go to (i.e. CA schools) and try for this year, just so I'd at least be a reapplicant next year?? Basically, how much does it seem to help if you have at least applied before?? I know it's spending some money, but I've heard that the second time around (esp. if you're early in the game) it helps that you've been continually trying??? Thanks!

applying twice is definitely worth it.
whether you want to apply NOW...I'd think about finances and particular circumstances (i.e. your family/age situation/ do you absolutely want to start in the fall, if you wait for next year and apply early, ie this summer, yes, i think chances are overall better in any circumstance).
OK, as far as CA schools go...
In my personal experience (i.e. not speaking in general), Western COMP is numbers heavy and will want higher numbers for the most part before looking at the rest of your application...If your MCAT is close to a 9 on each section and your sci gpa is solid (3.3 ish is good, but not a must), you have a great shot. keep in mind they're in SoCal and get a lot of applicants, so they can be numbers heavy if they want to be.

As for Mare Island (Touro), I interviewed there in Dec and they are definitely more apt to looking for unique applicants who have a solid background overall rather than making you get past the numbers barrier first, or exclusively. During my interview, they DID draw out a timeline of application points to let us know that if you apply later in january or february, it gives them a greater window of opportunity to waitlist or reject you (that they may even interview JUST for waitlist positions), whereas for those of us interviewing in Dec, we had JUST made the cutoff point where they would encourage the commitee NOT to waitlist or reject.
Hope that helps.

If you apply now the odds of acceptance are lower than for a rejection, obvisously. More importantly, they may not accept the same LORs from a committe, DO, and/or from other sources. Secondly, the school may ask you "What have you done differently since you last applied" and answering with "I applied early this time", will not suffice.

Save your money and file for the early part of 2008 cycle. You can begin filling out the primary for 2008 admission around May 1st or 15th I can't remember.

Very good points to consider. :thumbup:

If the deadlines haven't passed for the CA schools, and your application is strong, apply now. Right now. I saw a few people get in to COMP late last year. Very late.

If your application is just okay, wait and apply as early as possible in June.

I say apply asap. It can't hurt. This way you won't keep tellin yourself what if.