Is applying with an MCAT score, but retaking in the summer a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

freshprinceMD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not a good idea. Most people would think it strange to retake an MCAT that is already perfectly acceptable. Your scores are good enough to get into an MD program so I wouldn't worry about the MCAT anymore...just make sure the schools you apply to are realistic!

Reactions: 1 user
If you do worse (or the same), the second score will automatically update in your AMCAS file and be visible to reviewers at the schools where you have already applied. This will hurt you.

If you do better, it will have essentially no effect on receipt of interviews since it will not become available until October.
If you are determined to re-take the test, wait until you know the results so that the information (whether helpful or not) will be known as you devise your strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do worse (or the same), the second score will automatically update in your AMCAS file and be visible to reviewers at the schools where you have already applied. This will hurt you.

If you do better, it will have essentially no effect on receipt of interviews since it will not become available until October.
If you are determined to re-take the test, wait until you know the results so that the information (whether helpful or not) will be known as you devise your strategy.

Would a late July MCAT retake be alright for the application timeline? This would still ensure complete status by labor day..

Would a late July MCAT retake be alright for the application timeline? This would still ensure complete status by labor day..
A single strong MCAT and completed application by the end of August would be ok.
You still don't know where to apply until the score is back, though.

Hi everyone

I was just curious on what is the consensus regarding this

I got a 510 on MCAT and I'm going to go ahead and apply with this score as early as I can this cycle.
However, I do think I could've done better, and I believe if I spent all summer long re-studying and doing more practice and took it in September, I might be able to get a better score.
I know 510 is not a bad score, and I'm relatively satisfied with it, I just wanted to hear thoughts about this.
My GPA is around 3.7

Would my application be considered complete and will be look at since I'm submitting with an MCAT score or would adcoms hold off until I take it in the summer if I said stated that I'm going to retake?
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Adcoms tend to be allergic to this type of thinking. A 510 is a good score. Retaking a good score is a sign of hubris. We're allergic to that, and perfectionism too.

Reactions: 1 users
A single strong MCAT and completed application by the end of August would be ok.
You still don't know where to apply until the score is back, though.

It wouldn't be a single strong score though since it would be a retake :/ but I'm guessing you meant a retake in July would be okay time-wise as long as all others parts of the application are completed?

It wouldn't be a single strong score though since it would be a retake :/ but I'm guessing you meant a retake in July would be okay time-wise as long as all others parts of the application are completed?
A pressured re-take is not recommended.
The additional pressure of time rarely adds to good decisions.
I've seen folks fail to void (the test, not the bladder) or take the test sick or dazed with grief, all because they felt that there was too much invested not to take the risk.

If everything is going well and you estimate getting at least the desired score, it can work (especially in good states).