Is asking for a letter of recommendation from a nurse a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Scotty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Over the course of a year and a half I volunteered at my local hospital, working closely with the nursing staff. One particular I have worked frequently with and offered to write me a letter of recommondation. (I am assuming it'd be pretty good). Is this a good or bad idea to have in my arsenal of LORs?

Members don't see this ad.

A nurse you worked closely with as a volunteer for 18 months and who offered to write you a letter is likely to write a "nice" letter; it will be better than a letter from the director of volunteer services who is likely to say, "John Scotty volunteered at Best Inland Hospital for a total of 180 hours between September 1, 2015 and January 30, 2017. He received a 150 hour service pin on October 1, 2016."

It wouldn't be a bad idea but most letters from health care providers are flabby. They tend to describe candidates like Boy Scouts: trustworthy, helpful, friendly... whereas adcoms seem to more highly value letters from labs that describe candidates as creative, resourceful, tenacious, collaborative, dexterous ("good hands").

Reactions: 3 users
Any letter from somebody who knows you well is always appreciated. Of course, this letter would be better if it were coming from a physician, since that's the program you're applying to (med school). But I think if coupled with a couple more traditional letters, this could be a nice addition to your letter roster. If you're going to choose anyone from your volunteer experience to write a letter for you, I would certainly choose this nurse who knows you well and can directly speak to your talents and qualifications over some administrator in the volunteer department--or a random physician that you spent five minutes with. If he or she seems well spoken and likely a good writer, then all the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the good responses guys! I see all of your comments on many different threads and I just gotta say thanks for helping us pre meds out so much.

Good to know about what adcoms look for in the letters. I think I am going to go ahead and ask for the letter, and couple it with some traditional letters I have as well, then pick and choose once I get them all together. Appreciate the advice!

A nurse you worked closely with as a volunteer for 18 months and who offered to write you a letter is likely to write a "nice" letter; it will be better than a letter from the director of volunteer services who is likely to say, "John Scotty volunteered at Best Inland Hospital for a total of 180 hours between September 1, 2015 and January 30, 2017. He received a 150 hour service pin on October 1, 2016."

It wouldn't be a bad idea but most letters from health care providers are flabby. They tend to describe candidates like Boy Scouts: trustworthy, helpful, friendly... whereas adcoms seem to more highly value letters from labs that describe candidates as creative, resourceful, tenacious, collaborative, dexterous ("good hands").
I didn't know dexterity was a sought after quality. I should have listed guitar playing on my amcas.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't know dexterity was a sought after quality. I should have listed guitar playing on my amcas.

It is if you want to be a surgeon! I've known two people who thought they were going to be surgeons, got into surgical residencies, and learned quickly that they didn't have the dexterity for it and changed specialties with the hearty and relieved support of their programs. No one wants to graduate a klutzy surgical resident, but there aren't really a lot of opportunities in medical school to find out if you have "good hands" or not. People tend to follow interests which usually align well with aptitudes, but surgery isn't something you get to really do until you are well into it. Having some reasons to believe yourself likely to be adequately dexterous (guitar playing is a good one) greatly diminishes the risk of finding out that you're all thumbs at the field.

It is if you want to be a surgeon! I've known two people who thought they were going to be surgeons, got into surgical residencies, and learned quickly that they didn't have the dexterity for it and changed specialties with the hearty and relieved support of their programs. No one wants to graduate a klutzy surgical resident, but there aren't really a lot of opportunities in medical school to find out if you have "good hands" or not. People tend to follow interests which usually align well with aptitudes, but surgery isn't something you get to really do until you are well into it. Having some reasons to believe yourself likely to be adequately dexterous (guitar playing is a good one) greatly diminishes the risk of finding out that you're all thumbs at the field.
What is interesting is that in my interactions with surgeons I always told them I am unsure if I have the dexterity to become one, and they almost all say don't worry we will train you. My small bladder probably disqualifies me anyway.

What is interesting is that in my interactions with surgeons I always told them I am unsure if I have the dexterity to become one, and they almost all say don't worry we will train you. My small bladder probably disqualifies me anyway.

For the vast majority of people, this is true. Most anyone has the necessary manual skills to become an adequate or even a very good surgeon. But just as there are a few outliers who are just gifted, there are an unfortunate scant few who can't reliably tie their own shoes, let alone suture. When one of those has exceedingly more drive than self-awareness, there can be tears ahead.