Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is Astronomy course considered as ....?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mr. Eastern Medicine, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Mr. Eastern Medicine

Hi~
    Can anyone tell me if I could add the Astronomy course grade into the Science GPA? Because this person that I know told me only Bio, Chem, Physics and Math are included in Science GPA.
    Thanks~

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bebe

bebe Member

That depends on the material covered. Was it more math based or physics based? If neither..you may want to ask your pre-med advisor. The new AMCAS has other categories for science classes, it may fit into one of those, but probably not your BPCM GPA.

4. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you would be able to include in the BCPM GPA if you wanted. Astronomy courses are often taught by the physics department. Even if they were taught by an Astronomy department I think they would be considered a physical science and therefore included in BCPM. I have heard that AMCAS is pretty lenient in how you classify a course. I have heard of some people classifying psychology courses in BCPM because they either contain biology or statistics/mathematics. I think that is a further streatch than including astronomy under physics.

5. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member

Attending Physician
    My astronomy class was in the astronomy department of my university so I put it under physical science (not BCPM) but AMCAS changed it. Brought my Science GPA down too. :(

6. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member

Astronomy goes into BCPM because it's usually offerred by the Physics department :)

7. none

none 1K Member

Yes, physics.