Is augmentation of the mandibullar bone common?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have facial assymetry (uneven jaw). I went to an oral surgeon for consultation today. He said that my case is not severe. Instead of having an orthognathic surgery, I can just do an augmentation on my right side of the face which appears smaller. Is this common? Is it safe? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know the name of the procedure?
'cause augmentation sounds very generalized

He said he will be adding a small piece of implant to the mandible to make the face appear fuller. He didn't give me the name of the procedure tho.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as i know ,Augumentation with an autogenous transplant is safe and
successful in most of the cases

There are many ways to augment your mandible:

1) osteogenesis distraction
2) bone grafts (hip, rib, tibia, etc)

are some examples.

It's done daily and success rate is very high and most time with no complications.

Thank you for the reponses. :) Can you please explain what are "autogenous transplant" and "osteogenesis distraction"?

hi autogenous transplant is the graft taken from the same host.i.e you.probably bone is grafted from yout rib,illiac crest or other parts depending on the amount of bone needed. Generally chances of rejection are
very less as the graft is taken from the same host

Hi Smilee:

Thanks for the information. I believe that oral surgeon said that he will use polyethylene implant (Medpore). I don't know how compatible it is with our bones and tissues.

hi
that means he is grafting an ""alloplastic''material i.e an inert material that is used to fill the space .Alloplastic materials are inert and do not induce any ''host'' reaction so.. they are safe and compatable !!!But, they do not induce osteogenesis i.e new bone formation .