is australia/Ireland realistic

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Mike, Jul 21, 2001.

1. What kind of chances would someone have for admission to Ireland/Australia schools with a 3.1 GPA. What MCAT score would be required with that GPA.

2. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Not sure is this will help but I remember reading somewhere that MINIMUM MCAT scores for AUSTRALIAN graduate entry programmes were 8 in each section (take this with a grain of salt). You should check each of the Uni's websites for up to date info. Most select students based on various combinations of weighted(?) GPA and MCAT and interview score and take about 30 international students per year.

3. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok just been scoping the University of Queensland website and saw that MINIMUM GPA avg of 2.0 and MCAT 8/8/8/M are required to be considered for interview - these scores will of course go up dependent upon the number and quality of applicants - and only 20 places for international students per year. Not sure about other uni's but will keep my eyes peeled :eek:

Think zinc.

4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Once Flinder's University (Australia) did a presentation at UCDavis and the person presenting said that all you need to do is get all 8's in your MCAT's.... They'll think that the interview is a better judge for the Verbal and writing section, thus they don't put too much emphasis on your W and V sections on the MCAT.... Just thought I'd share that....

5. would the GPA keep me out of the running for an Irish/Australian med school(flinders).

6. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The Australians run on a 6.0 (or is it 7.0) GPA system, so your US GPA's are converted based on individual years. I just found this out too..and it's a little confusing, but they tell you how to do it like on the Graduate Admission Medical group site. I think if you look at Univ. of Sydney, they tell you how. You have to break down your GPA year by year. I don't think a 3.1 is too low, I suppose the interview is more important. MCAT - they say the requirement is the minimum, however...they offer interviews based on your MCAT scores - so you can't pass by just the minimum.

It's like this - getting minimum scores is a prereq. But those who choose to study abroad, except for those who want to go because their scores are too low or because they were refused admission to US schools, are most likely to have good MCATs and grades. So you'll be competing among those people for very limited spots - not too many people apply, but the ones who do are the best and brightest.

The Irish standard is very high, their students are top-notch. I'm sure the same with Australian students, but I'm not familiar with them (except with some of the ones who went to Ireland to study). I myself am planning on going to either Ireland or Australia for med. school, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet.

As long as you have decent MCAT scores and can interview well, I think you're okay! A GPA of 3.1 isn't really bad!

7. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A 3.1 won't necessarily keep you out but it IS lower than the average and therefore, you may very well likely be expected to have higher than average MCAT scores or other achievements to gain admission.

The schools get a fair bit of applications (Flinders gets about 25 per spot for international applicants) - some applicants are obviously not academically qualified but there are others with obscenely high MCAT and/or gpas. If you are interested, please apply because as another has said your gpa is weighted - higher weight given to later years, so perhaps your 3.1 will calculate out to be higher if you have done well your junior and senior years of undergrad.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

8. Hirurg

Hirurg Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    32-35 MCAT...Exellent LOR's...clinical experience....research...lots of luck...and bunch of cash.
    ;)

9. Hirurg

Hirurg Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh yeah...and good friends in high places.

Try SGU instead!

St. Georges Univ, Grenada. :D

10. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I know everyone's probably tired of this plug by now, but you could try Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland. They don't require MCAT, at least that's what it says on the applying program website www.atlanticbridge.com. But you'd probably need good grades (not that 3.1 isn't decent...but your competitors are the top students in Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada and some asian countries). You might bypass that with excellent recommendation letters or if you had good SAT scores and a "well-rounded" transcript/cv

11. Hirurg, would a 3.1 keep me out of SGU.

12. Hirurg

Hirurg Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    NO!
    They look at the whole person with all the good and bad sides.

Low GPA is bad, but 26-28 MCAT will help. And showing a true interest in medicine through research, work, volunt. will help for sure.

SGU has 7-10 people for a spot. So they can pick and choose. But try and you will see.

:D