Is average GPA more important than individual grade?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AJAAJA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received C+ in General Chemistry 1 and B in lab. If I have 3.6-3.7 science GPA by first semester of junior year, would bad grade in Gen Chem 1 recovered?

Do dental schools look at individual grades or just average GPA?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

One C+ won’t really deter you. Just do better in GC 2 and/or ace the GC portion of the DAT and you’ll be fine.

I withdrew from gen chem 2, got Cs in both orgo labs, and finished undergrad with a 3.4 GPA and also got 6 acceptances yesterday. You’re absolutely fine lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I withdrew from gen chem 2, got Cs in both orgo labs, and finished undergrad with a 3.4 GPA and also got 6 acceptances yesterday. You’re absolutely fine lol
Congratulations! May I ask you where you got acceptances? and How did you do on DAT?

Thank you!

Congratulations! May I ask you where you got acceptances? and How did you do on DAT?

Thank you!

Yeah I got into VCU, Touro, LECOM, New England, Midwestern-AZ, and Detroit Mercy! And my DAT was 22 AA and 21 TS

Yeah I got into VCU, Touro, LECOM, New England, Midwestern-AZ, and Detroit Mercy! And my DAT was 22 AA and 21 TS
So glad I found this thread! I was literally stressing out. May I ask what you think helped you stand out?

So glad I found this thread! I was literally stressing out. May I ask what you think helped you stand out?

By the time I decided I wanted to pursue dental school, I was about halfway through undergrad and had a 3.0 GPA. From that point on, I worked really hard in my upper level science classes and pulled it up to a 3.4 (4.0 my senior year taking 15+ credits), so I have a pretty good upward trend. In one of my interviews, I was asked about what happened in orgo labs and I just answered honestly without trying to make any excuses. Also, I made sure the rest of my app (DAT, ECs/leadership, volunteering, shadowing, LORs, and PS) were as strong as possible. Hope this helps!