Is Baptism-by-fire still an option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylept88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 27-year-old non traditional student. My academic history has had its major ups and downs and I have taken time off here and there due to simply not knowing what I want to do with my life. I have many many interests in life (due to my INFP personality type) and have pursued some of them and have been ultimately turned off by them. Case and point, a year and a half ago, I quit college studying as a Computer Information Systems major and began working for our local NBC affiliated news station. I quickly climbed the ranks and became their evening news producer for a while. Then the company was sold right around the same time I was realizing this is not how I want to spend the rest of my life, and 2/3 of the station was laid off, including myself. So between this past spring and now, I have been undergoing some serious soul searching. I want to help people. I want to work my ass off. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to become a doctor. I happen to come from a family of medical professionals as well. Grandfather is a doc, father is a doc, step mother is an RN and my oldest brother works with a stem cell clinic. I have been accepted back into school this fall and am planning on majoring in biology, pre med. I have a good 2-3 years ahead of me of undergrad, which is fine with me. Plenty of time to show a super-stellar upward trend and hopefully partially rebuild my destroyed gpa. My question is, in my situation, is there a possibility here? Am i barking up the wrong tree? I am willing to go above and beyond and devote my life to this cause, but only if I know there is a chance. I am getting married this fall and I am finally ready to take my life into my own hands and be great and attempt to make the world a better place.

Members don't see this ad.

am a 27-year-old non traditional student. My academic history has had its major ups and downs and I have taken time off here and there due to simply not knowing what I want to do with my life. I have many many interests in life (due to my INFP personality type) and have pursued some of them and have been ultimately turned off by them. Case and point, a year and a half ago, I quit college studying as a Computer Information Systems major and began working for our local NBC affiliated news station. I quickly climbed the ranks and became their evening news producer for a while. Then the company was sold right around the same time I was realizing this is not how I want to spend the rest of my life, and 2/3 of the station was laid off, including myself. So between this past spring and now, I have been undergoing some serious soul searching. I want to help people. I want to work my ass off. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to become a doctor. I happen to come from a family of medical professionals as well. Grandfather is a doc, father is a doc, step mother is an RN and my oldest brother works with a stem cell clinic. I have been accepted back into school this fall and am planning on majoring in biology, pre med. I have a good 2-3 years ahead of me of undergrad, which is fine with me. Plenty of time to show a super-stellar upward trend and hopefully partially rebuild my destroyed gpa. My question is, in my situation, is there a possibility here? Am i barking up the wrong tree? I am willing to go above and beyond and devote my life to this cause, but only if I know there is a chance. I am getting married this fall and I am finally ready to take my life into my own hands and be great and attempt to make the world a better place.

QFP

There is always a chance, but don't conflate this with how great of a chance. We'll need some more descriptive info from you (i.e. cGPA, sGPA, etc.) to opine on what odds you'll be facing doing a non-trad/post-baccalaureate route.

Also, helping people is a good thing, but in my opinion is not a reason to base going to medical school off of. Virtually every job on earth involves helping people to one degree or another; you need to identify concrete reasons as to why medicine is the only thing you want to do. There's a reason why so many on this site have said "If you can be happy doing anything else, do it."