• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Aug 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a 27-year-old non traditional student. My academic history has had its major ups and downs and I have taken time off here and there due to simply not knowing what I want to do with my life. I have many many interests in life (due to my INFP personality type) and have pursued some of them and have been ultimately turned off by them. Case and point, a year and a half ago, I quit college studying as a Computer Information Systems major and began working for our local NBC affiliated news station. I quickly climbed the ranks and became their evening news producer for a while. Then the company was sold right around the same time I was realizing this is not how I want to spend the rest of my life, and 2/3 of the station was laid off, including myself. So between this past spring and now, I have been undergoing some serious soul searching. I want to help people. I want to work my ass off. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to become a doctor. I happen to come from a family of medical professionals as well. Grandfather is a doc, father is a doc, step mother is an RN and my oldest brother works with a stem cell clinic. I have been accepted back into school this fall and am planning on majoring in biology, pre med. I have a good 2-3 years ahead of me of undergrad, which is fine with me. Plenty of time to show a super-stellar upward trend and hopefully partially rebuild my destroyed gpa. My question is, in my situation, is there a possibility here? Am i barking up the wrong tree? I am willing to go above and beyond and devote my life to this cause, but only if I know there is a chance. I am getting married this fall and I am finally ready to take my life into my own hands and be great and attempt to make the world a better place.

Apollo1

Deciding between MD/DO and PA
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
am a 27-year-old non traditional student. My academic history has had its major ups and downs and I have taken time off here and there due to simply not knowing what I want to do with my life. I have many many interests in life (due to my INFP personality type) and have pursued some of them and have been ultimately turned off by them. Case and point, a year and a half ago, I quit college studying as a Computer Information Systems major and began working for our local NBC affiliated news station. I quickly climbed the ranks and became their evening news producer for a while. Then the company was sold right around the same time I was realizing this is not how I want to spend the rest of my life, and 2/3 of the station was laid off, including myself. So between this past spring and now, I have been undergoing some serious soul searching. I want to help people. I want to work my ass off. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to become a doctor. I happen to come from a family of medical professionals as well. Grandfather is a doc, father is a doc, step mother is an RN and my oldest brother works with a stem cell clinic. I have been accepted back into school this fall and am planning on majoring in biology, pre med. I have a good 2-3 years ahead of me of undergrad, which is fine with me. Plenty of time to show a super-stellar upward trend and hopefully partially rebuild my destroyed gpa. My question is, in my situation, is there a possibility here? Am i barking up the wrong tree? I am willing to go above and beyond and devote my life to this cause, but only if I know there is a chance. I am getting married this fall and I am finally ready to take my life into my own hands and be great and attempt to make the world a better place.
QFP

There is always a chance, but don't conflate this with how great of a chance. We'll need some more descriptive info from you (i.e. cGPA, sGPA, etc.) to opine on what odds you'll be facing doing a non-trad/post-baccalaureate route.

Also, helping people is a good thing, but in my opinion is not a reason to base going to medical school off of. Virtually every job on earth involves helping people to one degree or another; you need to identify concrete reasons as to why medicine is the only thing you want to do. There's a reason why so many on this site have said "If you can be happy doing anything else, do it."

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with the above, and would also add that there's no reason to be a bio major or "premed" to go to med school. Just take the prereqs.

Reactions: Goro
About the Ads