Is Basic science lecture important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How do YOU learn in medical school?

• I attend every lecture since they are absolutely invaluable to my education.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I go to class most of the time, but can learn just as much from studying at home

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Lectures are a waste of time, they test from the books anyway.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Learn? I am too drunk to learn!!

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

bts4202

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you attend class or do you just study at home (except for labs)?

Members don't see this ad.

thanks to all who have voted, but come on guys, I know this is not the flashiest thread, but lets get some more votes. I am trying to win a bet here!! LMAO :laugh:

I don't go to lecture most of the time but I do read transcripts and go thru the powerpoint slides online. They test from the lectures, not from the books, but I learn better at home going through the material at my own pace rather than at lecture at 9AM when I'm barely awake anyway and/or distracted by the person next to me tapping or whispering. Plus at home I can go back if I miss something, in lecture I can't. I haven't noticed any difference in my grades since I stopped going to class, and I know half my classmates are doing the same thing. It just depends on how YOU learn best...some people benefit from the way going to class gets them up and helps structure their day, or are auditory learners...I'm more visual and do better reading the transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
it totally depends on how you learn. Im starting med school in august and i plan on attending most if not all of the lectures. I just learn better that way and always have.

unless of course i find that it's a waste of time

I went to most of my lectures. I'd start out with every lecturer, but if I felt that my hour would be better spent alone, I'd skip class & study for that hour.