• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Is being a big brother good for volunteering

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
  1. Post Doc
Well Im still in high school and I thought I want to start some low impact volunteering (I cant spell sorry) and I was wondering if the Big Brothers and Sisters of America is a good place to volunteer. And if anyone knows Im 16 can I even be a big brother now.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Well Im still in high school

And if anyone knows Im 16

facepalm.jpg

About the Ads

copperfrog09

10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2008
  1. Medical Student
Ignore the naysayers... it's GREAT that you want to start volunteering, even if you are only 16. Plenty of high schoolers have really worthwhile volunteering experiences. Big Brothers Big Sisters is a very well-run program that is a very good place to start volunteering, I did it my junior and senior year in high school, and I think it may be possible you can do it at 16.
Sidenote: If you are doing it to help get you into medical school, it won't count. Only things after high school count.

Zyvox

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Well Im still in high school and I thought I want to start some low impact volunteering (I cant spell sorry) and I was wondering if the Big Brothers and Sisters of America is a good place to volunteer. And if anyone knows Im 16 can I even be a big brother now.

nobody lists their highschool experiences. you'll have plenty of chances to volunteer in college.

focus on the opposite sex for now

tardyturtle

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2008
  1. Pre-Medical
Big Brothers, Big Sisters is a great volunteer program which adcoms see as "leadership" experience (highly valued)

While you can start whenever you want, keep in mind that only activities post-graduation count on your med-school app, so don't feel pressured to start right away.

Instead, I'd recommend that you shadow some docs to see if medicine is right for you.

Best

Reactions: 1 user

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
  1. Post Doc
Ignore the naysayers... it's GREAT that you want to start volunteering, even if you are only 16. Plenty of high schoolers have really worthwhile volunteering experiences. Big Brothers Big Sisters is a very well-run program that is a very good place to start volunteering, I did it my junior and senior year in high school, and I think it may be possible you can do it at 16.
Sidenote: If you are doing it to help get you into medical school, it won't count. Only things after high school count.

Thanks for the advice copper thats exactly what I was looking for.

focus on the opposite sex for now

again good advice!

Big Brothers, Big Sisters is a great volunteer program which adcoms see as "leadership" experience (highly valued)

While you can start whenever you want, keep in mind that only activities post-graduation count on your med-school app, so don't feel pressured to start right away.

Instead, I'd recommend that you shadow some docs to see if medicine is right for you.

Best

How would I go about shadowing a physician do I just call the hospital or ask my primary care doctor to refer me?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.