MD Is being a CA resident going to ruin my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrianym

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an MCAT score of 513, cGPA of 3.84, sGPA of 3.82. I think these stats are pretty solid, though obviously not Ivy League, top tier material. However, looking at in-state percentages for getting interviews, I feel like being a CA resident doesn't really improve my chances because they are mostly under 10%.
Looking at a lot of my target out of state schools, the percentages for interviews for me are still under 10%. However the instate percentages are often 15-35%.

So my question is, do CA students often not get into med schools compared to students from other states? Is it a realistic possibility to get into med school when you only have like a 7% chance to get into just the interview round, even if your numbers seem on target?

(I'm planning on applying to around 30 schools)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No. Believe it or not there are several worse states to be in than CA. Your stats are also quite good, and you might be able to aim for some pretty decent private OOS places (idk about ECs, but assuming those are good too). Don't apply to too many OOS publics, no matter how friendly to CA residents they are you still start out a step below IS applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an MCAT score of 513, cGPA of 3.84, sGPA of 3.82. I think these stats are pretty solid, though obviously not Ivy League, top tier material. However, looking at in-state percentages for getting interviews, I feel like being a CA resident doesn't really improve my chances because they are mostly under 10%.
Looking at a lot of my target out of state schools, the percentages for interviews for me are still under 10%. However the instate percentages are often 15-35%.

So my question is, do CA students often not get into med schools compared to students from other states? Is it a realistic possibility to get into med school when you only have like a 7% chance to get into just the interview round, even if your numbers seem on target?

(I'm planning on applying to around 30 schools)

Thanks!
Your stats are quite competitive, especially for non-CA MD schools. CA is a net exporter of medical students.

Reactions: 1 users