Is being a Clerical Assistant count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masterplayer1000

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a stretch or not, but I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone (clinical experience+ my federal work-study). The job description is:

This is a unique work-study position through the Psychology Department. The Psychology Services Center (PSC) is a service, training, and research facility of the Psychology Department at the (university name). The work-study will interact with psychology graduate student therapists as well as psychology faculty who supervise student therapists. This position will allow you to see how a clinical setting operates and give you exposure to important issues in psychology, such as organizational management and maintaining client confidentiality. There might be time for personal study and homework in this position. We are looking for hours M&W between 8:30 am-3:00 pm and possible backup for evening hours occasionally. This is a work-study position. Please check (Univeristy website) to find out if you have an award

Would this count as clinical experience? I'm not saying that I will not volunteer at a hospital but more experience never hurt anyone right? At this point, I'm still deciding if I just want to take the 1,500$ in debt per year or just work a work-study. If I could count it as clinical experience I would just go ahead and work for them as it is a 5-10 hr a week job at 10$ an hour

Any answers help and thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this is a stretch or not, but I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone (clinical experience+ my federal work-study). The job description is:

This is a unique work-study position through the Psychology Department. The Psychology Services Center (PSC) is a service, training, and research facility of the Psychology Department at the (university name). The work-study will interact with psychology graduate student therapists as well as psychology faculty who supervise student therapists. This position will allow you to see how a clinical setting operates and give you exposure to important issues in psychology, such as organizational management and maintaining client confidentiality. There might be time for personal study and homework in this position. We are looking for hours M&W between 8:30 am-3:00 pm and possible backup for evening hours occasionally. This is a work-study position. Please check (Univeristy website) to find out if you have an award

Would this count as clinical experience? I'm not saying that I will not volunteer at a hospital but more experience never hurt anyone right? At this point, I'm still deciding if I just want to take the 1,500$ in debt per year or just work a work-study. If I could count it as clinical experience I would just go ahead and work for them as it is a 5-10 hr a week job at 10$ an hour

Any answers help and thank you very much.
The ad doesn’t mention that you will interact with current patients in a helpful way. That the job is located inside a clinic facility does not mean it provides the sort of “clinical experience” med school adcomms will be looking for.

The ad doesn’t mention that you will interact with current patients in a helpful way. That the job is located inside a clinic facility does not mean it provides the sort of “clinical experience” med school adcomms will be looking for.
Thank you for your advice. I'll try to go for the research assistant job, I know that will at least give me some research experience and earn some cash at the same time. Thank you very much.

Reactions: 1 user