General Is being a Division I student-athlete an advantage or disadvantage when applying to medical school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a pre-med Division I student-athlete that is having a hard time understanding how to achieve all of the hours and extracurriculars needed to be a successful traditional medical school applicant. I was wondering if medical schools will take into consideration the time commitment necessary for being a student-athlete when looking at my clinical hours and/or extracurriculars. Does anyone have experience with how student-athletes are viewed during medical school admissions?

Thank you in advance.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

It’s certainly a positive, but you still need to make all the other hours. Many student athletes wind up taking a gap year (or two) for this reason.

That said, at application time being a division 1 athlete will definitely make you stand out in a positive way

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a plus if your application is otherwise similar to your peers. If shows one is disciplined if they can compete at that level and still perform well academically and in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.