Is Being a Little Shy the Kiss of Death During an Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gabujabu

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. I'm just talking about being a little shy, not excessively so. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

as long as you answer truthfully and dont stutter your answers like you're lying or trying to cover up, you should be fine. Just be confident. odds are, theyll ask you questions you've asked yourself dozens of times before and during the med school application process.

As long as you're articulate, you'll be fine.

Arrogance is the kiss of death durng interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
that or whipping out your little general (if you're a guy) to show to the interviewer. I heard that hurts your chances too.

Glad I could help.

Who did you hear this from? :laugh:

braluk said:
that or whipping out your little general (if you're a guy) to show to the interviewer. I heard that hurts your chances too.

Glad I could help.

Gabujabu said:
Just wondering. I'm just talking about being a little shy, not excessively so. Thanks.

Depends. The best interviews tend to be conversational. Being able to steer a conversation to things you want to highlight is a strong interviewing skill. Interviewers often indicate that they consider an interview bad when the interviewee only answers questions asked, has not much to say, doesn't seem that excited to be there, and that getting information was like pulling teeth. This is your chance to sell yourself over everyone else in the application pool. Don't be too passive or lukewarm. This is not a formality, to weed out crazies -- people get in on the strength of their interviews, and can get waitlisted on the weakness of them too..

Law2Doc said:
Depends. The best interviews tend to be conversational. Being able to steer a conversation to things you want to highlight is a strong interviewing skill. Interviewers often indicate that they consider an interview bad when the interviewee only answers questions asked, has not much to say, doesn't seem that excited to be there, and that getting information was like pulling teeth. This is your chance to sell yourself over everyone else in the application pool. Don't be too passive or lukewarm. This is not a formality, to weed out crazies -- people get in on the strength of their interviews, and can get waitlisted on the weakness of them too..
good point. not to mention people with less then stellar or competitive stats get in on the basis of their ability to market themselves in an interview.

braluk said:
good point. not to mention people with less then stellar or competitive stats get in on the basis of their ability to market themselves in an interview.

Exactly. This could be your chance to pull a rabbit out of a hat. (don't do that literally BTW).