Is Bell's palsy and root canal treatment related?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willowee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had performed a root canal treatment (RCT) on this patient's maxillary left lateral incisor (22). the patient calls me back 2 days later complaining of deviation of his lips to the left side and tearing from his right eye. We referred him to the medicine department where they diagnosed him to have Bell's palsy.

Could the Bell's palsy have stemmed from the RCT or could the RCT have triggered of the Bell's palsy. I had given the patient a maxillary infiltration during the procedure. Bell's palsy is the paralysis of the facial nerve. Could I have, in any way, injured the nerve? Does anyone have a logical explanation to this condition?

Members don't see this ad.

What anesthetic did you use?

You only gave a localized maxillary infiltration around the apices of the tooth? Did you head superiorly and give an infraorbital block or administer any other injections during the procedure?

I was studying for neurology in gross anatomy when I read this and my notes say, "Bell's Paulsy could be (temporarily) caused by a dentist if anesthesia is incorrectly administered." However, it should have worn off with the anethesia :confused:.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had performed a root canal treatment (RCT) on this patient's maxillary left lateral incisor (22). the patient calls me back 2 days later complaining of deviation of his lips to the left side and tearing from his right eye. We referred him to the medicine department where they diagnosed him to have Bell's palsy.

Could the Bell's palsy have stemmed from the RCT or could the RCT have triggered of the Bell's palsy. I had given the patient a maxillary infiltration during the procedure. Bell's palsy is the paralysis of the facial nerve. Could I have, in any way, injured the nerve? Does anyone have a logical explanation to this condition?

So he has Bell's palsy on the right after having RCT on the left?

During the head and neck exam did you notice enlarged lymph nodes anterior to the ear? If so, that seems a more likely cause.

I was studying for neurology in gross anatomy when I read this and my notes say, "Bell's Paulsy could be (temporarily) caused by a dentist if anesthesia is incorrectly administered." However, it should have worn off with the anethesia :confused:.

I highly doubt that a supraperiosteal injection in the region of the left lateral incisor could cause this. The quote you included is likely referring to the administration of an IANB where the operator injects too far posteriorly while the tip of the needle is inserted in the substance of the parotid gland, where the facial nerve branches off. This usually causes a temporary facial nerve palsy, and like you said, wears off once the anesthetic has been redistributed.

This is a common misunderstanding. You cannot get bell's palsy from local anesthetic.