is biochem on nbde 1 hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KentDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

i never took any biochem in undergrad and didn't learn that much biochem at my dental school...i've started studying from the decks and it's damn confusing! do we really need to know this in detail for the boards? what did you guys use to learn biochem? decks are just making me more confused...

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi,

i never took any biochem in undergrad and didn't learn that much biochem at my dental school...i've started studying from the decks and it's damn confusing! do we really need to know this in detail for the boards? what did you guys use to learn biochem? decks are just making me more confused...

thanks!!

i had a similar experience except it was with anatomical science rather than biochem. i took the test and just passed by one point. this i must say was over ten years ago so the test format has changed, since, back then there was no computer test.... lol if your not feeling well about it hold off on the exam, in my case i may have gotten lucky and gussed some correct answer enough to just pass. it could have easily gone the other way. my suggestion is try a different review for biochem section. the decks are a bit detailed so its more of a book written on flash cards. try looking at mosby ndbe and read there biochem section, its easier reading and focuses on topics where about 80 percent of the questions come from, for almost every test will have a rate limiting qur
estion, like what is the rate limiting enzyme i glycolisis... the mosby book will go over these topics and a clue is the highlighted word. if you see one memorize it bc its a high frequncy word and some question wil. probably be derived from it.

i had a similar experience except it was with anatomical science rather than biochem. i took the test and just passed by one point. this i must say was over ten years ago so the test format has changed, since, back then there was no computer test.... lol if your not feeling well about it hold off on the exam, in my case i may have gotten lucky and gussed some correct answer enough to just pass. it could have easily gone the other way. my suggestion is try a different review for biochem section. the decks are a bit detailed so its more of a book written on flash cards. try looking at mosby ndbe and read there biochem section, its easier reading and focuses on topics where about 80 percent of the questions come from, for almost every test will have a rate limiting qur
estion, like what is the rate limiting enzyme i glycolisis... the mosby book will go over these topics and a clue is the highlighted word. if you see one memorize it bc its a high frequncy word and some question wil. probably be derived from it.

i made a mistake. first aid will highlight, but mosby is more concise and an easier read

I really like Lippincott's for Biochem, it is concise & easy to understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have much of a biochem background so I know how you feel! The decks were pretty annoying and impossible to learn from! Lippincott's was good but its just too detailed. I ended up using a workbook called Biochem for the Boards and I really liked it. It's geared toward the NBDE I so it's the right amount of detail and it breaks everything down so its easier to understand. You should def check that out!

I really like Lippincott's for Biochem, it is concise & easy to understand.

i agree SFO , i m reading from lippincott too but plz tell me do we have to study each n every chapter .. i mean like fibrous protien n all in detail

yes its hard, they have pathways and other esoteric stuff on that test, you do need to konw all that detailed stuff, study the decks, old exams and lippincott if you have time.

thanks so much guys! i just ordered lippincotts and biochem for the boards off amazon - hopefully these two will make my life a little easier!

i havr lippincotts and it may be too in depth for the ndbe it is geared for usmle. but everyone is different. hopefully it works out for you

i agree SFO , i m reading from lippincott too but plz tell me do we have to study each n every chapter .. i mean like fibrous protien n all in detail

I haven't taken the exam yet, but what I've been doing is going through the released exam questions & when I get one wrong that has something to do w/ Biochem, I look it up in Lippincott. I am also trying to study at the big pathways (glycolysis, fatty acid synthesis/oxidation, amino acid cata-/anabolism, etc...). I have seen more than a couple released questions on collagen, so I did read that section.

I never use textbooks other than one section at a time, though bc I just don't have a very long attention span & need a question to spur me as to how the info is applied.

I have been improving my knowledge/ability to get biochem Qs right, but this is just what seems to work for me & like I said, I haven't taken the exam. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it worked out :)

I haven't taken the exam yet, but what I've been doing is going through the released exam questions & when I get one wrong that has something to do w/ Biochem, I look it up in Lippincott. I am also trying to study at the big pathways (glycolysis, fatty acid synthesis/oxidation, amino acid cata-/anabolism, etc...). I have seen more than a couple released questions on collagen, so I did read that section.

I never use textbooks other than one section at a time, though bc I just don't have a very long attention span & need a question to spur me as to how the info is applied.

I have been improving my knowledge/ability to get biochem Qs right, but this is just what seems to work for me & like I said, I haven't taken the exam. I'll let you know in a couple weeks how it worked out :)
Thank You SFO
n All the best for ur test ..

to answer the OP, purely based on numbers, the avg for biochem/physio is the lowest compared to other disciplines (61ish/100), highest of course being DA (75ish)

Oh wow...I didn't realize it was equally hard for everyone! It makes me feel a little better lol

Just a quick message to all those who suggested the two study aids - a huge thank you!!! I had Amazon rush the delivery so I've been using them for a few days now (I'm taking the boards in early July). I'm mostly using the Biochem for the Boards workbook since it's NBDE-specific and explains stuff really well, but it's nice just to have Lippincotts as a reference if I want further detail. Definitely recommend both if you don't know/remember biochem! Thanks again everyone!!

SFO: How was your test? Please share your experience, I will take mine in late October, thanks :)