Is biochemistry a big component of dental basic science education?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
about many % of your basic science consist of learning biochemistry? I also heard it's also a big component on the board exam. Is it true?

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry is a major course, and it does appear on the board exams. I am sure that others on the forum can attest to biochem's importance. Take care and GOD bless.

we had almost none during the 1st year here at IUSD. not sure how much we will in 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
grant555 said:
Biochemistry is a major course, and it does appear on the board exams. I am sure that others on the forum can attest to biochem's importance. Take care and GOD bless.
Is it really? Gosh, I thought it was probably the most useless class we took freshman year.

there are plenty useless classes in my curriculum. biochem is not at the top. ya, just learn it and re-learn it for the board. it will help in pharm and other courses later on.

psiyung said:
Is it really? Gosh, I thought it was probably the most useless class we took freshman year.

psiyung said:

If Biochem is on the board exams, then it is important. Take care and GOD bless.

I think the statement that "biochem is on the boards" is a bit of a overstatement, in this case.

Biochem is certainly a section of the boards, but it is coupled with physiology. MOST biochem questions on the boards are not simply straight biochem questions, but are coupled with physiology questions. In other words, from my exam, and exams from previous years, the questions were geared towards testing physiology subjects, with some of those questions concerning biochemistry.

Biochem played little or no part in my basic science education, and it is a minor part of the board exam, in my opinion. It is NOTHING like a biochemistry course you've had in undergrad, or in dental school. Those are light-years ahead of what board exams ask you.

I think the statement that "biochem is on the boards" is a bit of a overstatement, in this case.

Biochem was a fairly large part of my first year course work. Our courses are all mixed with the medical students so it was fairly in-depth. Is it the most important course, no. But learn as much as possible - you'll be a hit at parties with all your biochem knowledge.

As for the boards, as usual, they asked the really unimportant and clinically irrelevant biochem questions that you have to learn from the decks anyway.

Maybe, but the fact is that biochem is a relevant portion of the board exams and basic sciences taken in dental school. As far as the latter, how much or how little my vary with each dental school like everything else. Personally, I wouldn't underestimate any course being presented. Take care and GOD bless.

I actually have a choice to learn more biochemistry or nutrition/physiology in depth while in undergrad. Which subject do most students in dental school have struggle with? Thanks! :)

I actually have a choice to learn more biochemistry or nutrition/physiology in depth while in undergrad. Which subject do most students in dental school have struggle with? I am just trying to figure which of the two should I focus on during undergrad. Thanks! :)

how much or how little my vary with each dental school

It can be like night and day. Some schools get virtually none and some have to rehash their entire 2 semesters of biochem from undergrad + nutrition in 2 months.

Not looking at better or worse - there is a huge difference in what is covered both in terms of content and depth with predoc curriculums.

Smooth Operater said:
I actually have a choice to learn more biochemistry or nutrition/physiology in depth while in undergrad. Which subject do most students in dental school have struggle with? I am just trying to figure which of the two should I focus on during undergrad. Thanks! :)
Asking us to hold your hand again, while your paranoia continues to plague this forum, ey?

Smooth Operater said:

Biochem and nutrition/physiology are really the same thing. A typical test question for biochem was: you haven't eaten for 3 days. Your an average built male in good general health. One day while looking for food you walk over a hill and a wooly mammoth charges you.
1. Describe in detail your current physiological state with respect to glucose/fats/glycogen metabolism
2. Describe your bodies response (in detail) to the mammoth and how glucose/fat/glycogen metabolism has been altered.
3. You have a rare disorder whereby the rate limiting step of glycolysis is altered to a whatever
4. Now, lets say you're an uncontrolled diabetic, or a controlled diabetic, or this problem or that, etc, etc, etc.

All questions were essay and they had be specific both in terms of biochemistry (ex. had to draw pathways etc) and physiology.

You see, although often taught separately, biochem, nutrition and physiology are all the same topic.