Is BU a good school? What does everyone think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

konovsi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During my tour the school didn't impress me much , but so far its the only acceptance. So if I dont get in anywhere else. I would like to know some feedback on this school because I will prob be going there.

Members don't see this ad.

konovsi said:
During my tour the school didn't impress me much , but so far its the only acceptance. So if I dont get in anywhere else. I would like to know some feedback on this school because I will prob be going there.

i dotn think that any school in the US or Canada is a bad school. its just that some are better than others and some are better at certain aspects of dentistry (research vs clinical, etc.) Not to belittle you or others going to BU, but I have heard froma couple of dentists that it is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to comparisons of other dental schools. they said the school is run like a business, not an educational institution. i do have a friend that is going there right now ( a first year) and he likes it. so if you get in somehwere else and its not a problem going there (financial or logistical) then go for it (as long as its not Nova). Congrats on ur acceptance. dont worry youll be fine wherever you go, just remmeber its the student that makes the education not the school. no one will teach you any more than they have to, the rest is up to you.

egpndoc said:
... so if you get in somehwere else and its not a problem going there (financial or logistical) then go for it (as long as its not Nova)...

it begs the question, why not nova? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
i've only had acceptances from nyu and bu, and i really dont want to go to nyu, so i guess my only choice is bu. also, its close to home...massachusetts doesnt have any public schools so we dont really have a choice (other than uconn). i wasnt extremely impressed by bu, but i wasnt very disappointed either. i dont think it shud be too bad. see u there if u decide bu!

AnnaF said:
it begs the question, why not nova? :confused:

they were having trouble gewtting accredited for a number of years (not sure exactly how long). i know a dentist that teaches there, and he told me to not even turn in my secondary application.

egpndoc said:
they were having trouble gewtting accredited for a number of years (not sure exactly how long). i know a dentist that teaches there, and he told me to not even turn in my secondary application.

If Nova is so terrible, then why is there such a high pass rate for the florida licensure exam?

Bwinokur1 said:
If Nova is so terrible, then why is there such a high pass rate for the florida licensure exam?
i have no idea. i am just telling you what one of their faculty members told me. maybe it is good, but other schools are better. i dont know. i am not hating on NOVA, just passing my 2 cents on. maybe the FL boards are easy. and passing the board doesnt mean u r a good dentist, otherwise all dentists would be good.

I have an interview in one week, so would like to hear some negatives and positives about the school.

Hd

hockeydentist said:
I have an interview in one week, so would like to hear some negatives and positives about the school.

Hd

I really liked the school when I interviewed. The facilities seem great, the students were joking and laughing (maybe at us?), the atmosphere just seemed great. I had two cons about the school: price and that its out of state. Otherwise, BU is a progressive school with their apex and externship programs. And I know people are going to say "boo-urns" to apex, but it gives you an oppurtunity to be in a real dental setting (outside clinic). Its better than having school during summer (and you can study for the boards part 1). Im getting excited to go, except I def. need to buy some clothes for the winters there, burrrr

nothen2do said:
Its better than having school during summer (and you can study for the boards part 1).

School during summer? Last time I checked, Im gonna be backpacking around Asia during my SUMMER VACATION.....have fun with APEX :D

Dr.BadVibes said:
School during summer? Last time I checked, Im gonna be backpacking around Asia during my SUMMER VACATION.....have fun with APEX :D

Ya ya, everyone on this forum knows you don't like BU

Dr.BadVibes said:

Yeah Dr. Badvibes....sorry we're not all as fortunate as you to go to Temple :smuggrin: .....LOL!

egpndoc said:
i have no idea. i am just telling you what one of their faculty members told me. maybe it is good, but other schools are better. i dont know. i am not hating on NOVA, just passing my 2 cents on. maybe the FL boards are easy. and passing the board doesnt mean u r a good dentist, otherwise all dentists would be good.

u obviously dont know what ur talking about. nova just recently got a 7 yr accrediation. plus the FL boards are probably the HARDEST licensure exams out there. everybody wants to practice here. from everybody i've spoken too, nova is a great school

omar

omaralt said:
u obviously dont know what ur talking about. nova just recently got a 7 yr accrediation. plus the FL boards are probably the HARDEST licensure exams out there. everybody wants to practice here. from everybody i've spoken too, nova is a great school

omar
No Need to get nasty just because you are going there, I REPEAT, I am just telling you what a faculty member at NOVA told me. If you think its great, than go there. Dont tell me I dont know what I am talking about just because you dont want to feel like youre going to a mediocre school. And you prove my pint about the 7 year accreditation. Yea, they just got it, and they went through hell to get it too. By the way, the CA boards are the hardest. Not here to argue, just passing info, dont be insulted, I didnt insult you.

egpndoc said:
...I am just telling you what a faculty member at NOVA told me...

who doesn't LOVE a blind quote? :laugh: