Is Business, Derm, or both right for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsguy560

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman undergrad, but I'm in a program where I am accepted into Med School already.

Although medicine is nice, I've been reading up on the harsh realities of being a doctor now-a-days. I would like to be a derm or plastic surgeon if possible which would allow me to avoid HMOs. I feel like I might be going into medicine for the wrong reasons.

If I like engineering and business, should I just skip medicine and pursue a B.S/MBA? or since I am in a med program should I get an MD/MBA? What are the careers like for a MD derm or a MD/MBA derm. Is being in business better than an MD now?

Thanks all in advance if you could help me answer this question that has been on my mind a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is $$$, then I would skip med school with all the tuition and "wasted" income years where you make a resident's salary. You can no doubt do well and be compensated decently as an MD/MBA, but you can be compensated equally well as an MBA, without the debt and lost years, depending on where you work, how hard you work, etc.

Medicine is the WRONG field if you aren't committed to it. You can't really just slide by and hope you get through things. You'll be miserable.

I agree with what yaah said above. If your love is money, and not medicine then you'll be miserable learning all this science and taking care of people.

If you want mad chedder, think hedge fund manager. In 2005 one of the top managers took home 1.5 billion(he has a PhD in mathematics from berkeley), go here: http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10005996.shtml
So I guess you have to be a rocket scientist to make that kind of cheese.

The top derms I know of only took home 500 mil last year and had to split it (the proactiv derms). So you're better off in bussiness if your bottom line is $$$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure some people make billions in business, but let me ask you this, how many percent of doctors make at least six figures? 100 %

Now how many people who grad. with an MBA will make that much? I dont know, but its no where near 100%, and you will definetly have to have like 5-10 years of working experience to work your way up and and make really good money. Unless of course you start your own business (which might not work) or play the stock market (which might leave you homeless)

If you want mad chedder, think hedge fund manager. In 2005 one of the top managers took home 1.5 billion(he has a PhD in mathematics from berkeley), go here:

What are you joking? You think they just hand those positions out to whoever wants them? :laugh:

Anyone can become a doctor if they do X, Y, and Z, and they are almost guaranteed a 6 figure salary. In business, you could have top grades, family connections, and still end up with nothing.

I went to an Ivy League school and I tried to get an *entry level* position on Wall Street, without success. There were maybe 40 spots altogether in Investment Banking, Fixed Income, etc. and maybe 400-600 people competed for them. These were all temporary jobs by the way, 2 year stints on Wall Street after which maybe one third would get a higher (but still low level) position within the company, and the rest would be told to get lost.

But I executed my plan B of medical school without problems though. :smuggrin:

Sure it's true that all doctors make a decent living. BUT it is still much better not to go into medicine if your primary concern is money. If you go to an ivy league school and do well enough to go to med school, you can also go to a top 15 law school. After 3 years you are almost guaranteed 140k which will increase to 300k if you don't make partner, 500-1 mill if you do. MBA is certainly less assured but all my friends 4-6 years outta college are close to 100k now, AND they have less debt. If you go to a lower tier undergrad then med school may be financially better for you, but if you go to a top undergrad or you have a great CV choosing med school does not pay.

Medicine= job security (just so long as socialized med. doesnt rear its ugly head) Business= maybe you make good money, maybe you dont. maybe you do well and keep your job, maybe not.

I would like to be a derm or plastic surgeon if possible which would allow me to avoid HMOs

I'd look elsewhere for a career if those are the only two options you think you'd be happy with.