Is Calculus a must have? I am looking at University of South Alabama, and

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadMD1day

Cat Scan
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
it states its "recommended". I am in Precal now and Math is my worst of worst subjects... if I can avoid having to have Calculus, I would rather not take it?
Any opinions?

On USA's web site:

Admission Requirements
Since the medical profession needs individuals with a wide range of talents and academic backgrounds, both science and nonscience majors will be considered. Ninety (90) semester hours from an accredited four-year college or university and a Baccalaureate degree is preferred. Regardless of major, the science courses selected to fulfill the minimum requirements should be designated for science or premed students.

Minimum requirements include:

General Chemistry with Lab: Two semesters or three quarters.
General Biology with Lab: Two semesters or three quarters.
Mathematics (Calculus is recommended): Two semesters or three quarters.
Organic Chemistry with Lab: Two semesters or three quarters.
General Physics with Lab: Two semesters or three quarters.
Humanities: Two semesters or three quarters.
English Composition or Literature: Two semesters or three quarters.

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's required for some schools, and recommended for some. If it's recommended, then it's not a requirement. I really have no idea if you'll be asked why you didn't take calculus, but I don't think that they'd hold it against you. Anyone else?

rickthetwinkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If its not required, its not a must have. You might just want to just take a semester of calc, but that's my opinion. If anything, at least take a statistics course.

JDovers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
have you already had physics? if not, the calc. helped in my experience.

I'm with the poster above---I'd totally take it. Why give them a reason, you know?

D

deleted103730

for the most part it's not required, but on the other hand most have at least 1 semester of calculus, so it might be best to take it to be on the same level as everyone else.