Is calculus or pre-calculus required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

So should I bother taking these courses? How many schools require them?

Members don't see this ad.

The only one I know for sure is Harvard Medical School (1yr of Calculus). Other than that, I'm not sure. I had to take it because it was mandatory for my undergrad. If you do have to take it, keep in mind that it is not that hard. Differential Calculus is the opposite of Integral Calculus, and once you master the first one, the second becomes a lot easier. You just have to dedicate some time to it.
Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
i would just take it if I were you. The schools will like to see it, and you will leave yourself the option to apply to many other schools if you take it.

Check with the schools you are interested in. About a dozen schools explicitly require calculus (not just harvard); most schools just require a year of math.

Right....I think there are 3 that require a full year of Calculus, but there are others that require 1 semester (and another semester of another math course, but it doesn't have to be calculus)....and then others which "strongly recommend" but do not require calculus. And, as my premed pointed out, Calc II is defintiely tougher than intro stats, so a year of calc will usually satisfy the schools that don't require a full year since it's clear you're capable of math.

Get a copy of MSAR (or your premed advisor likely has one) and look at the schools you might be interested in to see what their prereqs are...some have additional biochem/social sciences/etc. requirements too.

Calculus or not, you're at least going to need the mathematical acumen at a pre-calc level for physics and general chemistry. Get through that course first and then start seeing whether calc is even possible. Remember to take things one course and one semester at a time (with a plan flexible enough to incorporate multiple possibilities).

I would take cal I and II.