Is Calling Professors weird?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CommyO

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my second year of college and I've been trying to get my GPA up so all my time went to studying these past 2 years. Because of my time constraints and poor decision making, I have zero extra curriculars worth noting about and I am freaking out because I feel like a bum.

So I recently emailed a professor about researching in her lab to which I haven't received a reply for 3 days. The semester has been over for 2 weeks already and I have summer school starting June 20 so I would very much like to secure some sort of research or scribe job soon so I can enter my gap years with at least something instead of nothing. Would it be weird to cold-call professors because their numbers are listed on the faculty directories and I am going to start going down the list and email about lab/research inquiries. I feel like [associate] professors who mostly do research instead of teach don't check their emails this time of year.

Another thing, I am beginning to feel passionate about research and although it's not volunteering or clinical experience which would probably be better to have, I feel I will really enjoy it and genuinely learn from it.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just go there in person and talk to someone who is doing research that interests you? Or try to contact a professor who actually knows you, either to work with them or to help you network into another lab.....

Reactions: 1 user
Why don't you just go there in person and talk to someone who is doing research that interests you? Or try to contact a professor who actually knows you, either to work with them or to help you network into another lab.....
Unfortunately, I haven't made connections with professors who research but I've made decent relationships with professors in my chemistry professor who I doubt can get me into research or my molecular Bio prof either

I regret not doing this during school session because people are actually available at that time. At this point, the campus is likely a ghost town besides people doing research and summer school. I would imagine it be considerably difficult to show up to school and expect to find professors in their offices

I wish I would at least get an email saying something like "No, you're not needed, thanks" or something generic to know that communication is being made. I had a friend who did what I'm doing with no luck either

Members don't see this ad :)
One professor wouldn't really do it imo. My freshman year, I emailed like seven professors, and only three replied back to me. One was a polite refusal. One was a tentative acceptance, but he wanted me to secure some recommendations as it was a competitive lab. The third professor was very enthusiastic about having me join. So find a bunch of professors whose research align with your interest and spam emails. Be careful not to copy and paste an email without writing the correct professor's name lol.

Attach your resume, prior research experience (if any), and a particular aspect of their research focus that you find intriguing. Don't admit to being pre-med or anything, because some professors don't like pre-meds that only come in to lab to check off the research "box" for med school applications.

And you need clinical and nonclinical experiences too. So while you are waiting for a reply to your email find something to do that will enhance your application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I just finished my second year of college and I've been trying to get my GPA up so all my time went to studying these past 2 years. Because of my time constraints and poor decision making, I have zero extra curriculars worth noting about and I am freaking out because I feel like a bum.

So I recently emailed a professor about researching in her lab to which I haven't received a reply for 3 days. The semester has been over for 2 weeks already and I have summer school starting June 20 so I would very much like to secure some sort of research or scribe job soon so I can enter my gap years with at least something instead of nothing. Would it be weird to cold-call professors because their numbers are listed on the faculty directories and I am going to start going down the list and email about lab/research inquiries. I feel like [associate] professors who mostly do research instead of teach don't check their emails this time of year.

Another thing, I am beginning to feel passionate about research and although it's not volunteering or clinical experience which would probably be better to have, I feel I will really enjoy it and genuinely learn from it.
I agree with the poster above. If you check out what medical schools view the most important, it involves clinical and non-clinical volunteering. Until you get a response from a professor via email, I would volunteer.

I'd recommend sending e-mails. That way you can read over it before it is sent. Also I do believe professors often prefer to receive e-mails especially regarding things like this. Also, e-mail more professors. I'd email maybe 15-20 to start with.

First, don't call. Calling professors in any context is really weird. From what you're saying (going down the directory), it doesn't sound like you'll have much success there.

Which brings me to point two: imagine yourself in the professor's shoes. Somebody calls you up.

"Hello, is this Professor X?"

"Uhhh, yes. Who is this?"

"Oh, I'm a student at University X and I found your number from a directory. I was wondering if you have space in your lab for an undergraduate?"

What is your immediate impression? Isn't it very simple for you to just say no and move on with your day? The student in this fictitious scenario has shown very little initiative in learning about the work done in that lab and conveying what exactly interests him or her about the research. Even if you were to list every little thing you like about their research after doing your homework about the lab, the phone would still be an awkward place to state it.

That's not to say you should pour out your heart in a ten-page essay via email. The best thing to do would be to look at professors who conduct research in the areas that interest you and do a little reading of their research, either on their lab websites and/or the recent literature from their lab. You don't have to read it in detail and understand everything but you need to understand the general gist of it and the broader impacts. Then email them telling them a bit about yourself, your previous experience if any, and why you are interested in working in their lab. Then at the end, ask them if they have time to set up a meeting with you to discuss it. Keep the email concise and to the point - professors are very busy people and their attention wavers quickly if they have to read word vomit off an email.

Reactions: 1 users