Is CARS on the actual exam really longer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposas905

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing people complaining about how long the CARS passages are on the actual test. But the AAMC MCAT site says the CARS passages are from 500-600 words only; it seems weird that they wouldn't follow this....So are they really longer compared to the practice exams? Or are people exaggerating? I can't figure out which one it is :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the exact word count, but CARS was much longer than the practices. It was along the line of the 2nd score practice from AAMC.

Larger font and spacing with less of the passage in view => illusion that passages are longer => testers freak out and CARS score drops

Members don't see this ad :)
I (n=1), tried to adjust it to no avail. Also I practiced on an extremely bright/clear retina display with a wide screen that permitted me to view the entire passage. Compare this to a dim and grimy monitor with visible pixels.

I (n=1), tried to adjust it to no avail. Also I practiced on an extremely bright/clear retina display with a wide screen that permitted me to view the entire passage. Compare this to a dim and grimy monitor with visible pixels.

Okay so it felt longer, but you're saying it should still be within the 500-600 word range? Did it take you the same amount of time to read each passage on the real mcat as it did on your practices?

I would say most of them are closer to 600, and they felt longer. I had 3 art passages which is probably why I scored lower than usual and had difficulty finishing on time.

I would say most of them are closer to 600, and they felt longer. I had 3 art passages which is probably why I scored lower than usual and had difficulty finishing on time.

Oh I see...you said you changed your CARS strategy after 2.5 months of studying for it inefficiently. What did you do to change that helped you in CARS?

I think it was the same length passages but I will say I nearly ran out of time. (Usually finish with 6-8 mins to spare)