Is changing major a good idea?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jeffy, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Jeffy

Would it be a good idea to change my major in order to help "stand out" in the crowd, especially when I have heard that neuroscience majors typically do not have good luck when it comes to med school acceptances? I am currently a sophomore neuroscience major who plans on applying to med school soon. I know that med schools want diverse classes representing different backgrounds, regions, majors, etc. Moreover, science majors represent a huge number of applicants. One of the majors offered at my school is Public Policy Analysis-Biology, which is basically 2/3 of a regular biology major mixed with politics and economics classes. Its kind of a social science within a natural science. In an attempt to not major in neuroscience and look like every other science major applying to med school, does becoming a PPA-Bio major sound like a good idea? Or does it still make me seem like another science major? I wouldn't mind switching because I enjoy both the same and I could do it no problem. Any advice would be great.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vyc

vyc Senior Member

you should major in what you love the most.
    try not to predict what admissions committees will want. just concentrate on being yourself and hopefully your individuality will be enough to catch the committee's attention.

personally, i would go for the other major bc as doctors, we'll be studying science, in some form or another, for the rest of our lives. if i could go back in time, i'd change my biochem major to a humanities one, probably english.

4. deva

deva Senior Member

You should pick a major that you enjoy. Don't base your major on what you think will impress the adcoms. They will want to see that you have studied something that you love. If you study PPA-Bio and actually have little interest in it, it will be obvious, and that will look very bad. This is the same for ECs; adcoms want to see that you have chosen activities and majors for which you show enthusiasm.

Also, I really don't think that changing your major will make a difference in whether you are accepted.