Is Chemistry and Physics harder than Biology? How can I prepare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowhello

Reaction score
I completed my Freshman year with all A's in my Biology courses: Intro to Biology, Anatomy & Physiology 1/2 and Microbiology so I'm thinking about skipping the introduction classes to Chem and Physics and jump right in to Gen Chem and Phys 1 Sophomore year (this fall).

Members don't see this ad.

Great idea! You do not need the intro course and they will not count as pre recs. Just go for it and get A’s like you did last semester

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on finishing up your freshman year with great grades!

Chemistry and Physics can definitely be considered more difficult than Biology but it really depends on what your strengths are as a student. Do you really think you need the introduction Chem classes?

Chemistry is about UNDERSTANDING the material and practicing it. The same goes for Physics. Definitely look up YouTube videos.

Tyler Dewitt is great for Chemistry.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask some advisors at your school or email the professors to ask for the syllabus before registering. It's better to take a class that's too easy than to jump ahead and screw your gpa.
It probably changes from school to school too on whether this is a good idea, or even possible - so I'd reach out to people who have taken those classes at your school for advice.

They are generally regarded as more difficult but it really boils down to what you learn most easily. For me intro biology was far harder than any physics or chem class I had. But then I’m more inclined to math heavy problem solving things .

They are generally regarded as more difficult but it really boils down to what you learn most easily. For me intro biology was far harder than any physics or chem class I had. But then I’m more inclined to math heavy problem solving things .

Same. I mean, Bio for me in general since a lot of the times it's really pure memorization. I found Orgo to be really hard honestly but Physics? I breezed through.

Reactions: 1 user
They're different than bio. I would say that if you can do well in chem/physics, you can probably figure out how to do well in bio but not necessarily the reverse. In order to do well in chemistry and physics, you have to really understand the fundamental concepts, principles, and where the equations come from. Memorizing the equations isn't going to be enough to get you a stellar grade. You have to be able to recall the correct concept/principle to apply in a new situation and then successfully apply that principle, which requires critical analysis. That doesn't always happen in biology, where it's more memorization heavy, i.e. if you don't know that the mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, it's really hard to reason your way there.

Reactions: 3 users
From my experience, gen bio was a whole lot of concepts and factoids. Chem/Phys you need to know the concepts, but your biggest grades will literally come from plug and chug. Your Chem/phys grades are more likely to correlate positively with your mathematics courses as opposed to biology.

Congrats on rounding out freshmen year with good grades!

When I started off a DIY post-bacc I hadn't taken a math class in probably 8 years. The first two classes I signed up for were chemistry and physics. Like other posters said above, there is a strong math foundation in both courses. I reviewed a whole lot of math before starting the courses and it served me well. Make sure you understand and are quick with manipulating equations, including exponential and logarithmic equations, and make sure you have dimensional analysis completely down. They'll teach you how to apply it to chemistry but the concept is more algebraic. Also make sure you're good with whatever calculator you own. It'll save you time on tests and I've seen people get calculations wrong many times because they used their calculator incorrectly.

I completed my Freshman year with all A's in my Biology courses: Intro to Biology, Anatomy & Physiology 1/2 and Microbiology so I'm thinking about skipping the introduction classes to Chem and Physics and jump right in to Gen Chem and Phys 1 Sophomore year (this fall).

This depends *a lot* on your school and the class you take (algebra or calculus based physics, engineering level physics, physics major physics etc). Generally speaking, yes those subjects are more challenging, but at the typical pre-med level most people feel they are more difficult than biology, but manageably so.

Some people have an impossible time with physics especially, but it is a practicable skill.

Like others have said, before you go racing thru the curriculum and skipping around it’s best to talk with advisors to make sure you won’t have any gaps in background understanding

Did you take physics and chem in high school? And, if so, how many years ago was that?

I ask because I've TAed gen chem and we typically recommended that students who hadn't received a B or better grade in high school chemistry within the prior 5 years to take the intro/prep course before the first semester of gen chem. The prep course strongly correlated with high grades for people with a weak or distant chemistry background.

Just something to think about.

Did you take physics and chem in high school? And, if so, how many years ago was that?

I ask because I've TAed gen chem and we typically recommended that students who hadn't received a B or better grade in high school chemistry within the prior 5 years to take the intro/prep course before the first semester of gen chem. The prep course strongly correlated with high grades for people with a weak or distant chemistry background.

Just something to think about.

Definitely agree with You. I think that’s a great idea honestly.