May 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I already volunteer at a clinic but I'm wondering if scribing or finding some other form of clinical employment will boost my app. I've also never been employed other than working as a camp counselor for a couple of summers for a few weeks.

Lawper

Cat-box cycle
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
forums.studentdoctor.net
I already volunteer at a clinic but I'm wondering if scribing or finding some other form of clinical employment will boost my app. I've also never been employed other than working as a camp counselor for a couple of summers for a few weeks.
The idea is to get clinical experience to show adcoms you know what you're going into for next few decades. Clinical volunteering, clinical jobs or both will help. Having a scribing job that requires you to type fast may help for schools that require the casper test, since casper examines how fast you type.

Also having a job and understanding management/work interactions is nice to have but not a requirement.

Reactions: Sir Alanna Trebond

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
The experience is what is important, not how you got the experience.

That said, volunteering has its advantages in that it shows off your altruism.

Working is good because employment shows responsibility.

About the Ads

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Volunteering and clinical hours are both important. Employed clinical positions tend to carry more weight than volunteer ones, because scopes tend to be wider and responsibility higher. But you still need to volunteer somewhere else if you transition to employment.

Reactions: Doctor-S
OP
L
May 14, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Volunteering and clinical hours are both important. Employed clinical positions tend to carry more weight than volunteer ones, because scopes tend to be wider and responsibility higher. But you still need to volunteer somewhere else if you transition to employment.
Will it affect my app negatively if I don't have clinical employment?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

About the Ads