Is clinical pharmacist a good area for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was curious if clinical pharmacist seems like a good fit for me.

I basically want to work in an environment where I have a lot of patient interaction and monitor their health as it improves with time. I also want to have weekly/bi-weekly appt's with patients about their medication, overall health, and progress. Especially people who have a serious illness (AID's, cancer, depression, etc) who need to have someone there to answer their questions through out their treatment. Also, salary is not a priority since I would be GLAD to take a pay cut from retail to work in an area more rewarding.

I've had a difficult time defining what a clinical pharmacist does and I hope this description closely describes it.

I am re-applying this year for pharm school and I have an interview in a few weeks. Last year I was gung ho about retail, but after spending the past yr working in retail (banking), I know EXACTLY what I DO NOT want to do. So before go in, I want to have a clear definition. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be interested in hearing what specific areas in clinical work frustrate people. I have heard that although retail is less involvement it is often more enjoyable? Experiances?

Eddie, that description of work sounds great. I would also like to know.

One thing that needs to be differentiated first is that there is basically 3 realms of a clinical pharmacist...

First, clinical at a hospital - here you may (but not always, even with the clinical title) go on rounds and monitor a select number of patients on a certain floor in the hospital. Sometimes there is patient interaction, but usually not, only contact with MDs and RNs

Second, is clincal in a retail setting. this is where you would hold flu shot and other vaccination clinics, lipid clinics, osteoprosis, asthma and diabetes clinics depending on where you work. definitely more patient contact hours, but here you can really only give them their results and talk about it with them, but you cannot usually change any of their meds.

Third would be a clinical postition at an ambulatory care setting. here you have the most patient contact. they usually see you after or before thier MD. these clinics usually only focus on one disease state, like diabetes, CHF, anticoag. the pharmacist here gets the specific lab results they need, goes over the results and can change the patients meds (if they are in aggreement with an MD).

Hope this helps you figure it all out. And remember to get these positions you need at least 1 year of residency, sometimes 2 depending on the clinic :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like a fast paced retail or centralized inpatient pharmacy position does not match your interests. You might be better off in a slower retail store, clinical floor, or ambulatory clinic. Everyone has different preferences so the work that one person really likes another person will dislike. It's really hard to say what you as an individual will like or dislike until you just go observe or participate. Perhaps job shadowing would be a helpful experience for you.

kristakoch said:
Third would be a clinical postition at an ambulatory care setting. here you have the most patient contact. they usually see you after or before thier MD. these clinics usually only focus on one disease state, like diabetes, CHF, anticoag. the pharmacist here gets the specific lab results they need, goes over the results and can change the patients meds (if they are in aggreement with an MD).

Hope this helps you figure it all out. And remember to get these positions you need at least 1 year of residency, sometimes 2 depending on the clinic :)

WOW, now that's a great job description. That's EXACTLY what I want to do.

And Bananaface, thanks for the advice. As with 90% of pre-pharm students, we usually just interned in a retail setting because that's the easiest to get. If I do not get in AGAIN this year, I will definitely intern in a clinical setting while going to school TO BOOST THE DARN GPA! :mad:

A question, guys: Can anyone with time give me a few specifics about residency? I'm sure there are other threads about this and you can point me to them, but I didn't want to start one.

I'm just curious about:

For a clinical residency, in say ambulatory care, what would be the process of getting into this in/after pharmacy school? And are there wages (silly question), or any time to keep work elsewhere while attending?

(I am just starting in pre-pharmacy and I'm not versed yet in that path)