Is clinicla research worthwile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crtfour2

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am in my first year at a D.O. school and a friend is trying to get me to participate in a clinical research project with a small group of students. I have never done any type of research before. He says that if our paper is published, I will be able to pick any residency that I want. Is this really true? For those who have done it, did you feel like it was worthwhile? Thanks for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by crtfour2:
He says that if our paper is published, I will be able to pick any residency that I want. Is this really true? For those who have done it, did you feel like it was worthwhile? Thanks for any responses.

Hmmm...me thinks he is overstating the case a tad bit. Very *few* people, published researchers or no, have their pick of residencies. There are too many other factors which are considered when choosing a residency applicant.

However, with that said, doing research is valuable in helping you gain a perspective on what's involved in the work, training you in the techniques of experimental methods and research design, and well...looking good on your CV. There are also altrustic reasons such as for the good of mankind, etc. and it can be fun and intellectually satisfying.

Some of the more competitive residencies do stress research activities when looking for residents and many university programs require a research term if not year or two during residency. Let's put it this way - unless you let your involvement get in the way of studying, it won't hurt your application. And while it might not allow you to pick and choose your residency, it very well may help - especially if you get published before NRMP apps go in.

[This message has been edited by kimberlicox (edited 01-12-2001).]