Is college experience important as a non-traditional applicant?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

jdspring

5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2012
Status (Visible)
From my post on the general forum, realized this was a better place for it:

I've been thinking about this for a while. I will ideally enter med school when I'm 26. I graduated when I was 22. While at college, I was very involved in leadership roles on campus (team captain, interviewer in admissions, self-directed research). However, that was then. Since that time, I've gotten my masters and am holding down a full time research position, trying to pay off loans. I am active on multiple teams, and am involved in the hospital community in a volunteer capacity. How do admissions committees consider collegiate experiences and roles for applicants who are several years out? Does a top 20 school expect me to go out and start a non profit, captain a club team, or start a volunteer program to demonstrate that I'm still a leader? Either way, what are some ways to demonstrate you are a "leader" outside of your 9-5 work hours?

Thoughts?

DrHoffy

15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Detroit!
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Since your experiences are still rather "new" as in the last few years, I think it will help your application. More importantly is that you got your masters, con't doing research, and volunteering.

I volunteered in a ER, a local clinic for underserved, and did Big Brothers Big Sisters. However my college experience was at least 7-8 years from when I started making my applicaiton competitive.

Marcia

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.