Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I would like to know which school is harder to get in for a NJ resident..
Columbia or Upenn?
I've checked out Predents.com website.. and the average GPA for columbia was lower than Upenn's by 0.2
Also, the DAT score for columbia was about the same as Upenn
I am not sure if this is right.. but It really seemed like columbia and Tufts had pretty much similar difficulty of getting accepted in terms of GPA and DAT.

Columbia:
DAT-22.16 PAT-19.06 GPA overall-3.49 GPA Science-3.44

Upenn:
DAT-21 PAT-19 GPA overall-3.68 GPA Science-3.63

Also, my GPA is 3.5 overall.. and expecting to get 19-20's for DAT...
do I have any chance at columbia?

May 22, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I would like to know which school is harder to get in for a NJ resident..
Columbia or Upenn?
I've checked out Predents.com website.. and the average GPA for columbia was lower than Upenn's by 0.2
Also, the DAT score for columbia was about the same as Upenn
I am not sure if this is right.. but It really seemed like columbia and Tufts had pretty much similar difficulty of getting accepted in terms of GPA and DAT.

Columbia:
DAT-22.16 PAT-19.06 GPA overall-3.49 GPA Science-3.44

Upenn:
DAT-21 PAT-19 GPA overall-3.68 GPA Science-3.63

Also, my GPA is 3.5 overall.. and expecting to get 19-20's for DAT...
do I have any chance for columbia?

Yeah. Columbia is harder to get into than Columbia. These 2 schools are not even comparable.

Not but really, I have no clue.

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
I know Columbia is very DAT focused. I had a 3.01sGPA but still got accepted for a variety of reasons, some of which included research, lots of experience, my LOR's, and my 22AA 30RC. I'm not sure about UPenn though, I guess they might have a more even focus based on those numbers you gave.

sajjy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 25, 2007
Status
Dental Student
UPenn is more GPA focused where as Columbia is DAT focused.
The only school that rejected me was Columbia (w/o even an interview:confused:). I am heading to Harvard this fall. Go figure...:laugh:

Jongho Yoon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Data on predents is pretty accurate, and according to that, I think your chance is slim to very slim.

nydds25

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status
the data on predents is a few years old. The latest penn gpa was 3.75 overall, 3.71 science. Good luck.

Dentgirl09

10+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I think you should try to do better than 19 or 20 on the DAT if you haven't taken it yet..... if you don't feel you can get at least a 20 then maybe take a few more prac tests. It seems as 20 or higher is the only "safe" way to go.....I say that because it seems like more and more people are able to pull "at least" an 18....

Things get more competitive every year so for those of us who applied this past year it could be one step up from what we were against. If you haven't taken the DAT yet that is good in a way because you still have a chance to make your application great!

Jongho Yoon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
(To the poster above me). You do realize pre-dents is only a sample size of the entire applicant pool. It tends to be skewed slightly upwards because we are all over achievers.
To answer the OP. You have a good shot at both if you do well on the DAT.
Really? I thought predents was based on ADEA Official Guide Data 44th Ed., as noted on the pull-down menu of "Sort Schools By."

Does he have a good shot at Columbia if he gets 20 on DAT? I am not so sure.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks. So I do have some chances for both schools. Great!
well, those 2 would be my dream schools.. I probably need at least 20-22's on DATs.
I am also very interested in Tufts.