is columbia really that good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And the beat[ing] goes on.....+pity+

Members don't see this ad.

And the beat[ing] goes on.....

Is that a reference to The Kings? They are Canadian by the way! :D

Originally posted by avingupta

35% is above average, but compared to Tufts at 20% or Temple at 15%...is it really a big difference? It is when talking about clinical where 2.6% of Columbia grads goto private practice and 60% of Tufts grads and 70% of Temple grads goto private practice. Now thats a big difference!

So, if these %'s are true... then it would mean:

Tufts: 20% going to postgrads from a class of 150 = 30 students.

Temple: 15% going to postgrads from a class of (I don't know their class size) = # students.

Now, for Columbia!: 35% going to postgrads from a class of 80 = 28 students.

I dont see how Columbia produces more students going to post-grads than Tufts. It's about the same (correct me if I am wrong), about 30 students from each school head to postgrads.

Do you guys concur?

Members don't see this ad :)
BEAT IT BEAT IT! Avin likes to beat it!:hardy:

Originally posted by Mo007
So, if these %'s are true... then it would mean:

Tufts: 20% going to postgrads from a class of 150 = 30 students.

Temple: 15% going to postgrads from a class of (I don't know their class size) = # students.

Now, for Columbia!: 35% going to postgrads from a class of 80 = 28 students.

I dont see how Columbia produces more students going to post-grads than Tufts. It's about the same (correct me if I am wrong), about 30 students from each school head to postgrads.

Do you guys concur?

well think of it this way, if columbia had 150 students they would get 52.5 of those students into a speciality... as opposed to tuft's 30's students

a lot of CU students decide to specialize after 1 yr of GPR as well... i know some mid-90's board score and very good grades type of people going to GPR by choice next yr...

you guys might be thinking way too advance... what i wanted to do predental school til now has changed quite a bit... keep your options open...

StarGirl said:
well think of it this way, if columbia had 150 students they would get 52.5 of those students into a speciality... as opposed to tuft's 30's students

But... Columbia doesn't have 150 students... and doesn't even come close to Tuft's facilities. :oops:

P.S. By th way - what do you make out of the new SDN looks?

Avin, did you apply to Columbia? Why did you? Why did you spend all that money applying and going to the interview?

Mo007 said:
But... Columbia doesn't have 150 students... and doesn't even come close to Tuft's facilities. :oops:

P.S. By th way - what do you make out of the new SDN looks?

Actually, I got accepted to Columbia and Tufts and I chose Columbia partly because of their facilities. It is a little tight, but it's Manhattan, and most schools waste alot of chair space that doesn't get used.

Avin, did you apply to Columbia? Why did you? Why did you spend all that money applying and going to the interview?

Well if you must ask.......like most predents when first applying, I was somewhat clueless about the realities of each school. For example, I would have not applied to UConn knowing that their class is only 45 people......so its my fault for not looking at the specifics. Comign from Canada, I always heard about Columbia and the Ivy League blah blah blah, so I just blindly applied not knowing anything about the school. Upon researching it on SDN, I found out that its dental school is not that great.

So when I got the interview, Yes, I was considering it, but ONLY because I want to get involved in health policy and COlumbia's MPH is ranked one of the best in the world. THIS IS THE ONLY REASON. If it was just for dental, yes, I would have not gone to my interview for sure.

But after the interview, I wasnt impressed at all. Having been to 5 previous interviews, COlumbia REALLY dissapointed me.....and seeing everyone after the interview cream their pants over a rundown building with average facilities who are obviously blinded by the Ivy League name didnt impress me at all. This made me realize that this school is gonna be filled with superficial people who think the name on their diploma makes them better than others (not all of course, but most).......

ANyways, the lure of the MPH was tempting, but Im interested in International Health Policy and COlumbia offers no such thing within their MPH.......but Temple on the other hand offers the chance to do my MPH practicum in Costa Rica, so that was the selling point for me.

So to all the predents applying now, learn from my mistakes regarding Columbia:

MPH: Good
Dental: Not as good as you would expect.

Actually, I got accepted to Columbia and Tufts and I chose Columbia partly because of their facilities. It is a little tight, but it's Manhattan, and most schools waste alot of chair space that doesn't get used

ARE YOU SERIOUS??? :laugh: Tufts facilities were 100000000X better than Columbia's, and Temple (the school im going to). Im not even going to Tufts, and I can admit that.

alioops said:
Actually, I got accepted to Columbia and Tufts and I chose Columbia partly because of their facilities. It is a little tight, but it's Manhattan, and most schools waste alot of chair space that doesn't get used.

You make it sound as if extra chair space is a bad thing. :rolleyes:

If I'm double-booked for a typical 3-hour clinical session, I always have TWO chairs already set up and ready to go so I don't have to fumble around for 15 minutes between patients cleaning up, disinfecting, re-stocking the bracket table and re-layout my instruments. This way, right after I finish with the first patient and dismiss him/her, the second patient can just come right in and sit right down and we can get going. If there is one thing that really pisses off the instructors and get you a bad grade, it's when instructors have to wait for you to finish a procedure 15 minutes past the end of the clinic session.

There is no such thing as too much chair space. :D

avingupta said:
........blinded by the Ivy League name didnt impress me at all. This made me realize that this school is gonna be filled with superficial people who think the name on their diploma makes them better than others (not all of course, but most).......

Dont let me catch you driving a mercedes because you think they make good quality cars. :laugh: Columbia does have its problems.......but i guarantee you that it's far from the less than average facility that you mention of.

aint it amazing how predents know more about my school than me. :eek:

Avin,

What are you trying to prove exactly? Sounds like your trying to justify your decision to goto temple? Like doggie said no school is perfect and every school has its pros and cons. Ivy's have a prestigous reputation for a reason. They are truely great schools.

You know we are all superficial to some extent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont let me catch you driving a mercedes because you think they make good quality cars. Columbia does have its problems.......but i guarantee you that it's far from the less than average facility that you mention of.

aint it amazing how predents know more about my school than me.

actually......I visited 5 dental schools, so I could easily compare facilities. OF course, Im just a predent and I dont know how adequate these facilities are for actual practices, so I asked my tour guides this question, and when I asked my Columbia tour guides regarding the deal with their facilities, they said the facilities are not bad, but not that great.....

I personally got the same impression about their facilities as I did at Temple....not that great, not that bad.....average....everything you would find at an average dental office.....nothing less, nothing more....and I didnt come out of Temple's interview saying WOWWWW.....BUT, many people came out of Columbia's interview saying WOW, and I couldnt understand why......oh yah, that Tommy Hilfiger degree was doing all the talking.

And I like how you brought up the whole Mercedes issue Doggie, cause Columbia is a lot like the Mercedes of dental school.....name looks good, but expensive, quality is overrated and doesnt deliver.....but who cares right?....ITS A MERCEDES!!!!!!......gimme a break. :rolleyes:

Avin,

What are you trying to prove exactly? Sounds like your trying to justify your decision to goto temple? Like doggie said no school is perfect and every school has its pros and cons. Ivy's have a prestigous reputation for a reason. They are truely great schools.

You know we are all superficial to some extent.

Im not trying to justify anything. I just use Temple and Tufts as my examples because out of all the schools I interviewed at, those were the most clinically oriented schools that I actually went to. It would be ignorant for me to talk about schools I never visited.

And yes you are right....every school has its pros and cons....Im goign to Temple and I know their many pros and cons, and actually they are well known to everybody.

My point was to show the pros and cons regarding Columbia, because people who are applying right now will assume that Ivy League = quality and in the case of Columbia's dental school, IT DOES NOT! I made the mistake of making that assumption and I just want others to learn from my mistake.

Of course I agree with you that the Ivy League has a prestigous reputation for a reason, but the common misconception about this is that this reputation is extended to all faculties within the school, and this is not the case. Like I mentioned before, Columbia's MPH program warrants the prestigous praise, but its dental program DOES NOT! I cannot comment about Columbia's other programs.

So gunit, this is what Im trying to prove.

Avin,

What I don't get is why are you trying to prove something bout a school that your not even attending. Its kinda disturbing that you're forming this super negative view bout a school you spent just one day interviewin at. And give me a break with you're I'm trying to help future applicants. If I were a future applicant I wouldn't put much faith in what anyone has to say bout a school they visited for one day. For all you applicants thinking bout applying to columbia, talk to people like Doggie or stargirl who have been there for a few years.

Honestly I do agree the facilities at columbia is not so great compared to say a Tufts, but the calibur of students and the education that you'll recieve there is top notch. :thumbup:

Freedy,

Do we need to explain all this? Do we need to explain why there're 50 states in the US? Do we need to explain why there are 7 days in a week? Do I need to explain to my friends why I'm visiting SDN?

aileen said:
Freedy,

Do we need to explain all this? Do we need to explain why there're 50 states in the US? Do we need to explain why there are 7 days in a week? Do I need to explain to my friends why I'm visiting SDN?

If someone is going to bad mouth something you care bout, woudln't you want them to backup what they say? I'm not asking him to "explain why there's 50 states in the US," I'm just wondering why he feels its his duty to knock on columbia. Thats all. Just alittle school pride, you got to defend what you believe in. :) Its like if someone said your momma was ugly, wouldn't you want to tell them they are wrong???

Totally... But would it change his view? His bad mouthing Columbia would NOT stop anybody from applying to the school. Save your energy for Columbia. See you in August.

Aileen,

You know when you got that big test on monday and you're sitting at your desk totally bored out of your mind studying the same material over and over again, your mind beings to wonder and you begin to randomly surf the web, check your friends' AIM profiles, and post on SDN.:D I'm not going out of my way to post these replies, I'm just wasting time and having some fun having this friendly conversation with Avin. If I wasn't posting on SDN, I'd actually be studying! :eek:

Fred

Freedy full respect buddy. :clap: Aileen, Alioops, Avin, you guys deserve it as well for defending your ground.

Fight for what you believe in! hehe... Wow this is nuts, all this over a school... Columbia does well on the boards...so who cares...the students and the curriculum make all the difference. Columbia accepts great students in general. It has a good reputation. No school is perfect....Columbia has always produced good stats and have been able to maintain its reputation. GPR or not.. These are the facts. If a name sells, well then a name sells. A brand name only flourishes if it is well endorsed by a strong reputation and people who are well respected. Columbia has a strong reptuation and you know its students are usually those with very good stats. Ego boost or not, those are the facts. And when someone graduates with that degree, regardless of that person's ability, on the most superficial level they will get respect. Sure this is superficial, but honestly, in this world, most things are.
Better looking people are always favoured than less with equal stats...Richer people seem to be more influential than those who are not...Everyone wants to be the best or to be better. No matter how much you want to deny that Avin, everyone wants to show that they are better. If not, you wouldn't bad mouth Columbia for so long. (I'll leave the explanation for yourselves to interpret) ;)

Amen brother! :clap:

Ok I REALLY need to stop posting and get back to studying.

I am amazed how stupid this thread has become. You guys got to understand that the only things that matter if you want to specialize are your class rank and board scores. Where you go to school doesn't really matter. There's no such thing as a best or better dental school it's all a matter of preference. A student ranking in top 10% of the class in NYU with better board scores than a student in only in top 30% of the class at Columbia will have a better chance to specialize. If you don't plan to specialize nobody will care what school you went to. That's why people tell you go to a school that fits you better, because that's the only thing that will matter. If the environment at a school fits you than that's where you should go. You guys need to stop thinking like pre-meds. I think that pre-med mentality is getting in the way of your rationality.

Its kinda disturbing that you're forming this super negative view bout a school you spent just one day interviewin at. And give me a break with you're I'm trying to help future applicants. If I were a future applicant I wouldn't put much faith in what anyone has to say bout a school they visited for one day.

Im not forming a super negative view. All I am doing is negating all the assumptions you and other COlumbia predents are saying regarding your school. You, yourself said earlier that Columbia opens more doors of opportunities for people, and I have proven that this is an obviously incorrect statement. Also, people think that going to Columbia is a guarantee spot in a postgrad, and although statistics show a SLIGHT advantage, it is at the cost of a strong clinical education.

So yes, I am trying to help future predents, because all you Columbia predents are coming on here and saying Columbia this and Columbia that, and forming some false impression of your school, and all Im doing it giving people the hardcore facts that what you are saying is false.

Honestly I do agree the facilities at columbia is not so great compared to say a Tufts, but the calibur of students and the education that you'll recieve there is top notch.

What, are you talking about the same calibre of students that say stuff like this:

Ego boost or not, those are the facts. And when someone graduates with that degree, regardless of that person's ability, on the most superficial level they will get respect. Sure this is superficial, but honestly, in this world, most things are. Better looking people are always favoured than less with equal stats...Richer people seem to be more influential than those who are not...Everyone wants to be the best or to be better. No matter how much you want to deny that Avin, everyone wants to show that they are better.

If a name sells, well then a name sells. A brand name only flourishes if it is well endorsed by a strong reputation and people who are well respected.

I think you missed my point here Woodsy, and I hate to repeat myself once again. Just because Columbia's reputation is strong, doesnt mean its universal throughout the school. Perhaps Columbia's history department might be the best in the world, but that doesnt make its dental school warrant the same reputation....and unfortunately, many people such as yourself think it does.

No matter how much you want to deny that Avin, everyone wants to show that they are better. If not, you wouldn't bad mouth Columbia for so long.

I understand what you are trying to get at. You think that I think I am better than you by proving your school is inferior to mine. Im not doing that at all. Its just that Columbia people are always coming on this board and boasting blah blah blah, but the truth tells us otherwise. Im sure if I went on this board and started to say that Temple's area is the best, and there is nothing wrong with it and its all peachy, there would be many people telling me otherwise and trying to prove me wrong. If Columbia people were not so arrogant over superficial claims, than perhaps this argument would never have existed. However, you seem to think that I would never choose Columbia cause I detest it so much, and this is not true. For example, if my only choices were Columbia and BU, I would pick Columbia hands down.

avingupta said:
I think you missed my point here Woodsy, and I hate to repeat myself once again. Just because Columbia's reputation is strong, doesnt mean its universal throughout the school. Perhaps Columbia's history department might be the best in the world, but that doesnt make its dental school warrant the same reputation....and unfortunately, many people such as yourself think it does.

No i understood your point from DAY 1. I am aware of what you were saying. You see I never said that Columbia's dental school is #1, even though I am defending my potential future school, I never really sided on that one. However, I am speaking in general, the Columbia name is like the Harvard name, even if their dental program isn't well known, the name of the school somehow will supercede that. It's like brands of creatine and protein powders. Cell-Tech is perhaps one of the best creatines I've ever tried, as a result its company, muscle-tech is associated with high quality products and they charge a lot. Nitro-tech, the muscle-tech protein powder is CRAP! It is overpriced and not the best protein powder out there, but lots of people will still regard it as a good brand just because it carries the muscle-tech name.
That was what I was trying to say.

avingupta said:

No i understood your point from DAY 1. I am aware of what you were saying. You see I never said that Columbia's dental school is #1, even though I am defending my potential future school, I never really sided on that one. However, I am speaking in general, the Columbia name is like the Harvard name, even if their dental program isn't well known, the name of the school somehow will supercede that. It's like brands of creatine and protein powders. Cell-Tech is perhaps one of the best creatines I've ever tried, as a result its company, muscle-tech is associated with high quality products and they charge a lot. Nitro-tech, the muscle-tech protein powder is CRAP! It is overpriced and not the best protein powder out there, but lots of people will still regard it as a good brand just because it carries the muscle-tech name.
That was what I was trying to say.

Still I have to say, I feel that COlumbia is the best fit for my liking.

I think what woody said is the truth. He just had the guts to say it instead of pretending we all live in some magical idealistic world. He's a competitor, and thats the type of people that I want to be around. I'm really glad that I'll have classmates like woody next year.

avingupta said:
For example, if my only choices were Columbia and BU, I would pick Columbia hands down.

i'm just curious...but why would you choose columbia over BU?

not everyone at columbia came cause it's an ivy league school... if that was what i wanted, i would have applied to harvard... or i would have applied to ivy league schools for undergrad...

i'm glad some of you guys aren't coming to school here, i'll love to see more postitive and optimistic people at SDOS... :)
:sleep: *tired of this topic*
go wherever fits you best, no school was made for everyone.

avingupta said:
............ Columbia opens more doors of opportunities for people, and I have proven that this is an obviously incorrect statement. Also, people think that going to Columbia is a guarantee spot in a postgrad, and although statistics show a SLIGHT advantage, it is at the cost of a strong clinical education.......

And how did you prove it? You think a mere 6 hours spent at columbia and a 10 minute tour of the clinic floors gave you all the insights to one of the oldest dental schools in america? You think your google research about PG speciality stats gave you all the info you needed to begin your thesis on how bad the columbia dental program is? Give me, stargirl, fredy, woodsy, all other future columbia predents, and all the future predents of other schools a break! You dont know jack about any dental schools at this point in your career. It's fine that columbia didnt impress you all that much.........more power to you.

There's no need to make it a crusade to berate the Columbia dental school. After all.......we're not berating canada...eh? :laugh:

And how did you prove it? You think a mere 6 hours spent at columbia and a 10 minute tour of the clinic floors gave you all the insights to one of the oldest dental schools in america? You think your google research about PG speciality stats gave you all the info you needed to begin your thesis on how bad the columbia dental program is?

How did I prove it? Well those stats were pretty convincing. And I didnt get them by doing a google search...they were from the schools/ADEA themselves....so go ahead and keep on undermining them.

And yes, I did only spent 6 hours in the school.....but I did ask my Columbia tour guides questions like I mentioned, and they were very honest with me, and I read past forums on this website regarding Columbia.

Also, when I was having my Columbia Vs. Temple dilemma, I called my aunt in Ohio who is VERY superficial......all her kids goto Ivy League schools and she even told me that the name of the school is the most important for her...as you can tell, she is very blunt about things....anyways, she knows a senior member on the Ohio Dental Board and she called him on my behalf for advice. He said out of Columbia and Temple, he would choose Temple because of its solid clinical curriculm, whereas he acknowledged that Columbia's dental school is not the best and he didnt recommend it. Of course this was coming from him and I didnt base my decision on him, but I did write it down and it played a minor factor in my overall decision. Please dont think that Im trying to convey the message that this guy's word should be used as gospel......Although this is not some guy on the street and he probably knows his $hit, it is only one person's opinion......anyways, I would rather use statistics to prove my point, and that I have.

So from visiting the school, gathering statistics, talking to Columbia students, and reading SDN, Im pretty confident that I have a sound argument, and by you guys solely rebutting me and saying "dont talk bad about my school" further proves my argument that Im right and you have nothing to say.

Nitro-tech, the muscle-tech protein powder is CRAP! It is overpriced and not the best protein powder out there, but lots of people will still regard it as a good brand just because it carries the muscle-tech name.

I think what woody said is the truth.

Yes, Columbia is like Nitro-tech......Im glad we are finally on the same wavelength now boys! :clap:

i'm just curious...but why would you choose columbia over BU?

This is an easy one. Both schools lack a solid clinical curriculm (which should be one of the most deciding factors.....cmon people, this is dental school....dentistry is all about the hands), so most likely you will be doing a GPR/AEGD coming from both schools. However, the combination of Columbia having cheaper tuition, and better speciality placement rates (minor reason), I would choose Columbia for sure. And plus, I would like to live in NYC rather than Boston.

I really should just let this pointless thread die but its too much fun,

So apparently Avin believes that he is the know it all bout columbia from "visiting the school (for a whole 6 hours), gathering statistics (what stats are you talkin bout??), talking to Columbia students (what students, it seems most if not all columbia students love it there), and reading SDN (oh wow SDN really proves alot, most predents on SDN don't know jack bout the realities of a dental school, and that includes myself)."

You know it wasn't long ago when a certan SDNer said that he picked Upenn over Temple cause when he interviewed there, many temple students told him that he'd be stupid not to pick penn over temple. Oh and my friend's brother's girlfriend's friend's aunt told me that Temple's facilities are the dumps, and that their admission officer tries to sell the school to applicants like a used car salesman. :laugh:

avingupta,
i dont know why columbia bothers you so much but its really annoying that you keep on ranting on about how much columbia sucks. you state how the only reason people should pick columbia is if they want to specialize. how can any student decide they want to specialize before they have even learned about procedures? the majority of us who chose columbia, made our decision on multiple factors, not just the "ivy league" name. for me, my decision was based on their excellent reputation, amazing board scores, welcoming atmosphere, friendly students and even friendlier staff. although columbia doesnt have 100s of simulation labs and the best technology clinics, they have a solid education. you argued why one should learn about the whole body when we're focusing on the mouth...well if you look at the top schools that do well on their board scores part I and II (U conn, harvard, columbia) they all follow the same trend of teaching a medical based curriculum, not just dental. your opinions on columbia are your opinions, i dont know if you're bitter that maybe you didnt get in or what not....additionally, if columbia's clinical teaching sucks so bad then how come they have the top board scores for part II every year also? i agree that many people do specialize that attend columbia but its wrong to say that thats the only positive factor about columbia. its funny how you use your ignorant comments about talking w/ one aunt and spending one day at an interview to hate on columbia... :mad:

avingupta,

How old are you? Thirteen years old?

Please just study well at the best dental school in your world, Temple.

Even though I declined Temple's offer over Columbia, I personally think Temple is a great school. Good people who I know go to Temple.

Butt out about the Columbia dental school. It's neither your school nor your business. I'm also glad you didn't or couldn't join the Columbia family. But I feel sorry you'd probably become a dentist someday showing off you went to the best dental school not Columbia to your all patients. How stupid and unprofessional!

Also, pray hard that you would become mature some day 'cause you really need to be. I really mean it, avin boy...

props to dentalchica-couldn't have said it better. :clap:

so much columbia class comraderie in this thread! haha :thumbup:

Us columbians gotta stick togehter!!! i mean come on now...we will be some of the top dentists in the country!!! :clap: :) :thumbup:

aaaaah class bonding at its finest :clap:

I was accepted to Temple and Columbia. I think both schools will give an individual a solid education. I chose Columbia because I personally felt more comfortable there. Also when I interviewed at Temple I didn't get a good impression. All the students could talk about is how unsafe it is. They mentioned repeatedly that people get robbed on the way to class. I also didn't feel as welcome at Temple as I did at Columbia. I also feel that if you are an driven individual who is determined to specialize you will no matter where you go to dental school. So go where you feel comfortable and stop bashing other people's choices.

avingupta said:
35% is above average, but compared to Tufts at 20% or Temple at 15%...is it really a big difference?

Cmon Ivy Leaguers.....you're smart enough to understand these statistics.
...let's see that would be ~75% increase over Tufts and ~132% increase over Temple, YES! i would say that is a big difference, in an extremely competitive environment where any edge can make the difference. I hope you're smart enough to understand my statistics.

avingupta said:
Why would you goto Columbia for this? Every dentist ive talked to about this says its not needed.....I bet if you post this question in dentaltown, they will all say that knowing all that medical stuff is NEVER gonna be needed.....cmon, why would I care about the pancreas? Medical students dont learn about the oral cavity, why would I learn about the pancreas?

While one might not apply all the medical knowledge he or she has to every single dental patient, it is extremely important to realize that "Medical stuff" is a critical component to all dental patients. What do you think the "M" stands for in "DMD"? And for the record, as a future dentist you should care about the pancreas. For example, periodontal status has been shown to be intimately associated with diabetes, and yes, therefore the function of the pancreas, and improper management of a diabetic patient could have serious health consequences. Sorry maybe I only knew that because i go to an Ivy League school

HAHHAHAHA.......Look at this pathetic effort by Columbia students to "stick together" when they are pushed into a corner..HAHAHAH....ok here we go....

So apparently Avin believes that he is the know it all bout columbia from "visiting the school (for a whole 6 hours), gathering statistics (what stats are you talkin bout??), talking to Columbia students (what students, it seems most if not all columbia students love it there), and reading SDN (oh wow SDN really proves alot, most predents on SDN don't know jack bout the realities of a dental school, and that includes myself)."

You know it wasn't long ago when a certan SDNer said that he picked Upenn over Temple cause when he interviewed there, many temple students told him that he'd be stupid not to pick penn over temple. Oh and my friend's brother's girlfriend's friend's aunt told me that Temple's facilities are the dumps, and that their admission officer tries to sell the school to applicants like a used car salesman.

Freddy, the statistics I am talkiing about are from my post about 2 pages back when I gave the ADEA statistics and the statistics from Temple and Tufts.

Also, I specifically stated that the advice I got from my aunt should not be counted cause it was one guy's opinion. Also, if you recall, I was never debating if Columbia students were happy or not, but I was debating on the actual educational component of Columbia, and the students I talked to were not too thrilled about it....and if you search past pages on SDN regarding Columbia, some SDN Columbians also point out misconceptions about Columbia.....However, I did also say that statistics should be the best tool to you and the statistics I used to prove your earlier point that Columbia does NOT give more opportunities should have been the final nail in the coffin.

you state how the only reason people should pick columbia is if they want to specialize.

HAHAHHA.....oh dentalchica....you are either incompetent or you are not reading this thread properly. The whole purpose of my argument is that YOU SHOULDNT PICK COLUMBIA IF YOU WANT TO SPECIALIZE.......most people think this, and although Columbia will give you a slight edge, it aint worth it for the lack of a clinical education......read the previous posts more carefully sweetheart.

well if you look at the top schools that do well on their board scores part I and II (U conn, harvard, columbia) they all follow the same trend of teaching a medical based curriculum, not just dental. your opinions on columbia are your opinions, i dont know if you're bitter that maybe you didnt get in or what not....additionally, if columbia's clinical teaching sucks so bad then how come they have the top board scores for part II every year also?

MUAAAAAAAAA...dentalchica, I could kiss you for further proving Columbia pre-dental misconceptions. The NDBE Part II DOES NOT require any clinical examination.....its purely a science based test.....thats why Columbia does so well on it....because you guys only learn and not practice! And why the big deal over board scores? They mean $hit if you are not gonna specialize. And like you said before, how does one know if they are gonna specialize or not? Going back to my original point, if you goto Columbia and dont specialize, say hello to 2 extra years of dental school.

Please just study well at the best dental school in your world, Temple.

Thats funny......from my past threads, I would assume that I thought Tufts was the best dental school, because I keep on using it as my example.

I was accepted to Temple and Columbia. I think both schools will give an individual a solid education. I chose Columbia because I personally felt more comfortable there. Also when I interviewed at Temple I didn't get a good impression. All the students could talk about is how unsafe it is. They mentioned repeatedly that people get robbed on the way to class.

Hey Nyla....once again this is all hearsay, and like I said before, using someone's advice can be used for an argument, but should not be the foundation of one. If you can get me statistics on this, then yes, I cannot say anything.....but this is simply untrue, because I heard otherwise. Get me some statistics, then we can talk.

While one might not apply all the medical knowledge he or she has to every single dental patient, it is extremely important to realize that "Medical stuff" is a critical component to all dental patients. What do you think the "M" stands for in "DMD"? And for the record, as a future dentist you should care about the pancreas. For example, periodontal status has been shown to be intimately associated with diabetes, and yes, therefore the function of the pancreas, and improper management of a diabetic patient could have serious health consequences. Sorry maybe I only knew that because i go to an Ivy League school

Alright bud......goto DentalTown and tell all those dentists who did not goto a school with a biomedical curriculm that they shouldnt be dentists because they didnt learn about the pancreas.

Also, ask your dentists what is more important. Clinical teachings and constantly using your hands, or biomedical training. From the dentists Ive talked to.....the former.

drillerNfiller said:
What do you think the "M" stands for in "DMD"?

I would just like to add sotto voce that Columbia SDOS awards the DDS degree, not DMD. ;)

And no, there is no difference between the DDS and DMD degrees before anyone asks. :D

And no, taking the same classes with medical students during underclassmen years are not exclusive to Ivy League dental schools.

And before anyone else thinks otherwise, I'm not taking sides on any "my school is better than yours" argument. :p

You guys need to pull the plug on this rivalary thing - not an appropriate way to prepare for Dental School.

UBTom said:
I would just like to add sotto voce that Columbia SDOS awards the DDS degree. ;)

And no, there is no difference between the DDS and DMD degrees before anyone asks. :D

And no, taking the same classes with medical students during underclassmen years are not exclusive to Ivy League dental schools.

And before anyone else thinks otherwise, I'm not taking sides on any "my school is better than yours" argument. :p

Thank you for the input, but I am well aware what degree the school I am attending awards.

avingupta said:
Alright bud......goto DentalTown and tell all those dentists who did not goto a school with a biomedical curriculm that they shouldnt be dentists because they didnt learn about the pancreas.

Please don't put words in mymouth. I NEVER said that dental graduates without biomedical curriculums shouldn't be dentists. In addition to this "Pre-Dental Forum", maybe you should also join a "Reading Comprehension" Forum, to help you better understand this one.

I didn't want to get involved in this, but I really feel some of the comments I'm reading on here are ridiculous. Avin, to determine the # of students who specialize, you have to look at more than the previous years grads. A very high percentage of people in specialties do a GPR first. There are lots of Columbia grads who do a one year GPR, then go on to specialize. Their actual specialization percentages are much higher than you suggest because of this. I was told by a Temple grad, who is actually an OMFS, NOT to go to Temple if I wanted to specialize. He said it would be much more difficult. Granted if you want to be a GP, it's a great choice, and that's why I applied there. You really have to decide for yourself, and if you do well,you can specialize from anywhere. I had the opportunity to go to either Columbia or Temple, and I chose neither, but I would have gone to Columbia. If you think going to a good clinical school is going to make you a great practitioner coming out of school you're crazy. I realize this, and I'm going to one of the top clinical schools in the country. It's the years when you get out of school that make you a good clinician. Damn, I don't know why you care so much, and are trying to convince everyone how bad Columbia is.