Is committee letter a must for dental application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard a mixture of comments on committee letter. My pre-health adviser said a committee letter is mora a medical school, you dont have to have it for dental school. However, the students in the pre-dental clubs said a committee is really important to your dental application? So I am kinda confused right now.
How important is a committee letter to my dental application? In what ways does it harm my chances if I dont have it? I would really appreciate your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Most dental schools (including mine) highly prefer it when available. If you do not have an advisor or committee that conducts evaluations, we would understand, but not having an advisor/committee letter when one is available to you will raise questions for some schools.

My program offers a committee letter. Had I used the service my application would have been submitted as late as mid-september. I certainly didn't want to wait that long, so I went out on my own. I used interfolio and had all four of my letters prepared well ahead of June 1st. My application was submitted in the first batch. So far, I've had four interviews and no raised eyebrows from schools..as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program offers a committee letter. Had I used the service my application would have been submitted as late as mid-september. I certainly didn't want to wait that long, so I went out on my own. I used interfolio and had all four of my letters prepared well ahead of June 1st. My application was submitted in the first batch. So far, I've had four interviews and no raised eyebrows from schools..as far as I know.

+1

Depends on the school. I have a committee that could have written my letters but it would have been sent in mid October. In my opinion, that was too late. I decided to go with individual letters instead.

My school has a committee letter and my advisor said we HAD to go through it in order to get interviews and I was told schools will call my advisor and ask why the student didn't use committee. I called BS and I have 6 interviews, I did everything in my own and I so so so happy I did

Reactions: 2 users
Get it only if your app won't be held due to letter.

All depends if you want to go down that road or not.. My stats were below average so I felt I needed all the help I could get. If your app looks good as is I don't think it would be an issue not going through your committee. However, the benefits of a committee letter are pretty good if you ask me. The director of my pre-health program hand chose 4 other letters to be included with the one he wrote. Of the two schools I've interviewed at so far, both have been praised me on my letters. Take it for what it's worth.

I have heard a mixture of comments on committee letter. My pre-health adviser said a committee letter is mora a medical school, you dont have to have it for dental school. However, the students in the pre-dental clubs said a committee is really important to your dental application? So I am kinda confused right now.
How important is a committee letter to my dental application? In what ways does it harm my chances if I dont have it? I would really appreciate your help!
The dental school I applied to stated they wanted a committee letter but would take letters from two science professors if there was no committee. I chose not to seek the committee letter because I heard stories of the interviews being overly harsh almost to the point where they where intentionally trying to stress you. I had no problems with not having a committee letter. I received interview invites both years and no one ever mentioned the letters at all. I did not get in the first time but loe's played no part in that decision. I will find out dec 2 if I got in this year. Just to be safe get the committee letter unless there are reasons not to. If you don't want a committee letter talk directly with the dental schools and get as much information as possible.