Is community college going to hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeJR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a pre-dental student and I was wondering if taking organic chemistry at a community college during the next two summers would be beneficial or if it would be looked down upon. A little about my background, I took my first year at community college (had to to help my mom after my father passed) where I took gen chem 1 and 2 both with easy A's with a bunch of my gen ed classes. I then transferred to a top 10 school for engineering and after interning over the past summer I found that it just is not for me. I always wanted to be a dentist so I shadowed a couple dentists an orthodontist and an oral surgeon, I love it. So needless to say I am trying to play a little bit of catch up and am now doing finance. Sorry for all the useless information but I thought it would deter some hate for my intentions not being in the right place.

I now am up to organic chem and here at this math and science mad house of a school I go to the grade distribution is 10% A's and 14% B's respectively for both 1 and 2. It is ridiculous and I do not agree with the way that it is set up just to weed out students, I have seen the tests and it is like they intentionally try to trick you on the questions. If I take 1 and 2 at community college and have a pretty good chance of getting A's in both are they just going to look at it as I am trying to take the easy way out (which I am) but I would love to be asked why I did it in an interview because it seems like a no brainer or is it? I know this has been answered before in some way but every time I see it I still can't apply it to myself. For what it's worth, my current science gpa is a 3.67 and my cumulative is a 3.6. Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Those grade distributions seem very normal. If you were to take Orgo in community college while currently enrolled in your university, yes it would look bad, simply because it would look like you are trying to take the easy way out. I would NEVER bring up taking Orgo at a community college because of your explanation, it shows no motivation to try and earn a decent grade.

Those grade distributions seem very normal. If you were to take Orgo in community college while currently enrolled in your university, yes it would look bad, simply because it would look like you are trying to take the easy way out. I would NEVER bring up taking Orgo at a community college because of your explanation, it shows no motivation to try and earn a decent grade.
That's what I was thinking. Going to the school that I'm at was one of the worst decisions I ever made. It is simply too hard. Every kid I meet was at the top of their class and I am simply not as smart as they are. I may end up transferring, I have a friend at a state school that just got a A- in orgo and I used to outperform him in every way academically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd rather take a 3.6 at Harvard than 4.0 at some random college. Even though adcoms say they don't look too much on a students undergrad school, it definitely stands out.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd rather take a 3.6 at Harvard than 4.0 at some random college. Even though adcoms say they don't look too much on a students undergrad school, it definitely stands out.
I think I'll be fine either way. The average gpa for chapel hill (where I hope to go) is around a 3.5 and ECU isn't too far off that. I am all about the in-state tuition. It would be nice to have a little bit easier of a course load, I don't sleep and I have taken a hit in my social life trying to maintain a decent gpa. I personally don't care where I graduate from as long as I get into dental school. The egos at my school and the constant push for their definition of perfection is not me. I like a challenge but if I am going to have to bend over backwards for my grades one more time I am going to flip haha. Oh and those DAT scores are impressive TAS, congrats. Thanks for your help.

That's what I was thinking. Going to the school that I'm at was one of the worst decisions I ever made. It is simply too hard. Every kid I meet was at the top of their class and I am simply not as smart as they are. I may end up transferring, I have a friend at a state school that just got a A- in orgo and I used to outperform him in every way academically.

You can't compare yourself to someone else like that. What if you transfer to that school and Orgo just ins't your cup of tea---you could easily bomb out there too. Chance are he has the same orgo book you have too. Transfer if you want, but that doesn't mean it will be easier.

As for taking this at a CC, I wouldn't. First, some dental schools won't take the credits at all, some will take the credits ONLY if you have upper level classes to back up those grades and since Orgo is the "upper level" that eliminates those schools.

You can't compare yourself to someone else like that. What if you transfer to that school and Orgo just ins't your cup of tea---you could easily bomb out there too. Chance are he has the same orgo book you have too. Transfer if you want, but that doesn't mean it will be easier.

As for taking this at a CC, I wouldn't. First, some dental schools won't take the credits at all, some will take the credits ONLY if you have upper level classes to back up those grades and since Orgo is the "upper level" that eliminates those schools.
I wouldn't transfer just to take orgo. I would transfer to go outside more haha. I'm going to wait to take orgo at a 4 year university but correct me if I am wrong, are there not only a few that will not accept CC credits?

I wouldn't transfer just to take orgo. I would transfer to go outside more haha. I'm going to wait to take orgo at a 4 year university but correct me if I am wrong, are there not only a few that will not accept CC credits?

There are a few that flat out won't accept them, but if you read the small print in the link, some will ONLY take the credits if you have the upper levels at a 4 year to back them up.

This made my day, thank you doc toothache. I will most likely take the rest of my prereqs at a university.
There are a few that flat out won't accept them, but if you read the small print in the link, some will ONLY take the credits if you have the upper levels at a 4 year to back them up.
Yeah I see that. Thankfully I don't want to go to any of those schools anyways. Thanks for bringing it up. Now that I have to start preparing for the DAT I need to also make a list of target and hopefully safe schools.

I would love to be asked why I did it in an interview because it seems like a no brainer

I would love for you to reply, "I side stepped to CC for o-chem because I was too scared to take it at the university level."

If someone graduates from a university and then later decides they want to do dentistry and finish up a few pre-reqs at a CC I think that's fine. Also if a student takes science pre-reqs at a CC and transfers to a university to finish their degree that is also great. The idea of dual enrolling to avoid taking pre-reqs at your main institution, however, looks bad.

I like a challenge but if I am going to have to bend over backwards for my grades one more time I am going to flip haha

I don't know if you're ready for o-chem anywhere or for the academic challenge of dental school.

I would love for you to reply, "I side stepped to CC for o-chem because I was too scared to take it at the university level."

If someone graduates from a university and then later decides they want to do dentistry and finish up a few pre-reqs at a CC I think that's fine. Also if a student takes science pre-reqs at a CC and transfers to a university to finish their degree that is also great. The idea of dual enrolling to avoid taking pre-reqs at your main institution, however, looks bad.

I don't know you're ready for o-chem anywhere... let alone dental school.
Haha easy, I will be fine. I mean my school is ranked way above your beloved bruins. Same state too ;) . Why so hostile though? I will take it here and bust my but for maybe a B+ and be fine. It is that I have busted my butt for the past 8 years of my life so go easy on me. Not to mention you are pre-dental as well so don't act like you know everything.

Haha easy, I will be fine. I mean my school is ranked way above your beloved bruins. Same state too ;) . Why so hostile though? I will take it here and bust my but for maybe a B+ and be fine. It is that I have busted my butt for the past 8 years of my life so go easy on me. Not to mention you are pre-dental as well so don't act like you know everything.

Shoot for an A, I think you can do it. I wasn't being hostile, I was just giving you some perspective.

Also, it doesn't hurt to fire you up for the challenge a bit!

Also, it doesn't hurt to fire you up for the challenge a bit!
Yeah that pissed me off, I wanted to take the class and show you my final grade right then. I should send you my number so you can insult me every morning haha. I apologize, I was a little too aggressive. Thanks for your replies and have a great day!

OP,

you go to caltech right? that is the only "top 10 engineering school madhouse" in CA like you describe.

Sorry to be bringing up this thread again, but now that we've ruled out my pre reqs being completed at cc, what about regular undergrad courses? I have a few fluff classes that I would like to take online during my next semester at a community college. The classes are easy at my current university but they are time consuming. Would I be correct in thinking that dental schools wont care, as long as I have a solid sGPA and good DAT?

Thanks guys