Is Content Review or Practice Exams more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayHawks1983

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

With the new MCAT 2015, do you think spending more time on practice passages rather than content review will be beneficial?

For example, sociology/psychology are both considered "soft" sciences. Would it be possible to gather enough information from the passages to the MCAT questions without having taking a former course in those subjects? I would like to maximize the efficiency of my time. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't one answer that suits everyone. Someone that has taken all of the suggested courses recently and worked diligently in class could be expected to need lews content review than someone

If you know nothing about psychology or sociology, you're going to be in for a lot of hurt if you try to take an exam related to this material. At least that is what I'd expect.

Content review where you're weak, practice after.

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree with Ulgarmoose on the order of how to go about this. Practice as many tests and questions that you can get your hands on, and while you are reviewing the ones you got wrong, do content review as he said in the areas you are weak in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree with Ulgarmoose on the order of how to go about this. Practice as many tests and questions that you can get your hands on, and while you are reviewing the ones you got wrong, do content review as he said in the areas you are weak in.

I was only suggesting that order for material that OP has no experience with.

Apologies if that wasn't clear, I do think practice questions should be done throughout

Reactions: 1 user
"Practice makes perfect" - Is something you should not take to heart here lol
Practice IS important but is nothing without proper content review. Why do you think so many people find the exam so hard and outlandish even after taking hundreds upon hundreds of practice questions?
A simple concept can be tested in a virtually infinite number of ways, and so it's unwise to purely rely on practice questions.
Find a balance, reinforce your content review with practice questions but do NOT rely on practice alone.
That's my opinion at least.

where can we find practice exams for the new MCAT!??
AAMC has one practice exam for like $25. Next Step has 5 FLs, TPR has a bunch and Kaplan has a few. If you purchase one of the Kaplan and TPR books, you will have access to at least 3 practice exams for each company.

AAMC has one practice exam for like $25. Next Step has 5 FLs, TPR has a bunch and Kaplan has a few. If you purchase one of the Kaplan and TPR books, you will have access to at least 3 practice exams for each company.

Not quite true--the only solo Kaplan book that gives you full-lengths is the Advanced 528 book, and that only comes with one. You have to purchase the entire set to get 3 FLs.