1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Is cost of living influencing your residency choice?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by calichi, Dec 14, 2005.

1. calichi

calichi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey all,

I'm currently applying for pediatrics residency programs. Like my username implies, I'm originally from California, now in the midwest. When I first started the application process, my motto was california or bust, but as I've gone through a couple midwestern interviews, I gotta say the cost of living difference has begun to matter for me. I have 200k+ worth of debt, and I found it very attractive that I could buy a house as a resident in say Cleveland, compared to say a not so nice studio or one bedroom in the Bay Area. I do worry about having so much debt, not-so great resident salary in a high cost place. I was wondering if the cost of living differences has been affecting other people's residency decisions as well. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cyanocobalamin

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes.
    It is multi-factorial of course.
    Though the cost of housing in Rochester MN is cheap, I will not be going there for an interview.
    Though the cost of housing in NJ is expensive I will be interviewing there.
    It is very attractive to buy a little place you can all your own though.
    But it's harder when the communit you train in has an average house price near $1mn.

4. jerseygirl22

jerseygirl22 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ugg...finances is totally and unbelievably affecting my decisions when it comes to ranking. Residency is another word for indentured servitude. :mad:

There are so many programs I would love to be able to afford to go to... :eek: