Is cost of living influencing your residency choice?

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by calichi, Dec 14, 2005.

1. calichi

calichi Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey all,

I'm currently applying for pediatrics residency programs. Like my username implies, I'm originally from California, now in the midwest. When I first started the application process, my motto was california or bust, but as I've gone through a couple midwestern interviews, I gotta say the cost of living difference has begun to matter for me. I have 200k+ worth of debt, and I found it very attractive that I could buy a house as a resident in say Cleveland, compared to say a not so nice studio or one bedroom in the Bay Area. I do worry about having so much debt, not-so great resident salary in a high cost place. I was wondering if the cost of living differences has been affecting other people's residency decisions as well. Thanks!

2. cyanocobalamin

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes.
    It is multi-factorial of course.
    Though the cost of housing in Rochester MN is cheap, I will not be going there for an interview.
    Though the cost of housing in NJ is expensive I will be interviewing there.
    It is very attractive to buy a little place you can all your own though.
    But it's harder when the communit you train in has an average house price near $1mn.

3. jerseygirl22

jerseygirl22 Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ugg...finances is totally and unbelievably affecting my decisions when it comes to ranking. Residency is another word for indentured servitude. :mad:

There are so many programs I would love to be able to afford to go to... :eek: