calichi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Status
Hey all,

I'm currently applying for pediatrics residency programs. Like my username implies, I'm originally from California, now in the midwest. When I first started the application process, my motto was california or bust, but as I've gone through a couple midwestern interviews, I gotta say the cost of living difference has begun to matter for me. I have 200k+ worth of debt, and I found it very attractive that I could buy a house as a resident in say Cleveland, compared to say a not so nice studio or one bedroom in the Bay Area. I do worry about having so much debt, not-so great resident salary in a high cost place. I was wondering if the cost of living differences has been affecting other people's residency decisions as well. Thanks!

cyanocobalamin

M4
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2005
somewhere between Jackman and Spartanburg
Status
Medical Student
calichi said:
Hey all,

I'm currently applying for pediatrics residency programs. Like my username implies, I'm originally from California, now in the midwest. When I first started the application process, my motto was california or bust, but as I've gone through a couple midwestern interviews, I gotta say the cost of living difference has begun to matter for me. I have 200k+ worth of debt, and I found it very attractive that I could buy a house as a resident in say Cleveland, compared to say a not so nice studio or one bedroom in the Bay Area. I do worry about having so much debt, not-so great resident salary in a high cost place. I was wondering if the cost of living differences has been affecting other people's residency decisions as well. Thanks!
Yes.
It is multi-factorial of course.
Though the cost of housing in Rochester MN is cheap, I will not be going there for an interview.
Though the cost of housing in NJ is expensive I will be interviewing there.
It is very attractive to buy a little place you can all your own though.
But it's harder when the communit you train in has an average house price near $1mn.

jerseygirl22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Medical Student
ugg...finances is totally and unbelievably affecting my decisions when it comes to ranking. Residency is another word for indentured servitude. :mad:

There are so many programs I would love to be able to afford to go to... :eek:

About the Ads