Is dats in August ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrndawg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking the DATs in August, but my pre-med advisor keeps on telling me that, that's too late to take them. People have told me before that it's ok to take them in August, but was that in the ol' days, or is it still true today?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on taking the DATs in August, but my pre-med advisor keeps on telling me that, that's too late to take them. People have told me before that it's ok to take them in August, but was that in the ol' days, or is it still true today?

August was fine for me. No problem here. Too many people took it in Aug and got into top schools this cycle. But submit your AADSAS a week before you take the DAT.

Better to wait and do really well than to rush and score low.

I was looking on one school's website, and they said it was best to submit by August because early application is encouraged. So some schools must view August as plenty early!

Members don't see this ad :)
August was fine for me. No problem here. Too many people took it in Aug and got into top schools this cycle. But submit your AADSAS a week before you take the DAT.

more than a week...at least a month. AADSAS takes a month to calculate the GPA and process your application, so it's better to be safe and submit AADSAS much earlier. DAT scores take at most 2~3 weeks to reach the schools.

be careful about this. if you take the DAT in August and dont do well, its 90 days until you can retake it which would be pretty late. some schools may have rejected your application by that point based on your first set of scores so the retake would be irrelevant as far as admissions for the cycle. my advice would be to take it in may or june. get started studying right now, dont wait until summer.

be careful about this. if you take the DAT in August and dont do well, its 90 days until you can retake it which would be pretty late. some schools may have rejected your application by that point based on your first set of scores so the retake would be irrelevant as far as admissions for the cycle. my advice would be to take it in may or june. get started studying right now, dont wait until summer.

I was going to type pretty much the same as dmd2011. Be sure to submit your application in May and take your DAT in August. If you don't do well, you won't be competitive anymore for this cycle. So do make use of the time and study. Stay off SDN, no matter how addictive it may be! Good luck.

DAT in August is fine especially if you have good gpa. make sure you submit apps early though and rock the dat.