SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is dats in August ok?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by hrndawg, Mar 25, 2007.

1. hrndawg

hrndawg 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2007
    I'm planning on taking the DATs in August, but my pre-med advisor keeps on telling me that, that's too late to take them. People have told me before that it's ok to take them in August, but was that in the ol' days, or is it still true today?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dentstd

dentstd Fena Gonzales 2+ Year Member

Oct 14, 2006
    August was fine for me. No problem here. Too many people took it in Aug and got into top schools this cycle. But submit your AADSAS a week before you take the DAT.

4. diane07

diane07 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Better to wait and do really well than to rush and score low.

I was looking on one school's website, and they said it was best to submit by August because early application is encouraged. So some schools must view August as plenty early!

5. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    Should be fine, just submit your aadsas in may.

6. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut 5+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2005
    NY
    more than a week...at least a month. AADSAS takes a month to calculate the GPA and process your application, so it's better to be safe and submit AADSAS much earlier. DAT scores take at most 2~3 weeks to reach the schools.

7. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    be careful about this. if you take the DAT in August and dont do well, its 90 days until you can retake it which would be pretty late. some schools may have rejected your application by that point based on your first set of scores so the retake would be irrelevant as far as admissions for the cycle. my advice would be to take it in may or june. get started studying right now, dont wait until summer.

8. soswank

soswank 2+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2006
    I was going to type pretty much the same as dmd2011. Be sure to submit your application in May and take your DAT in August. If you don't do well, you won't be competitive anymore for this cycle. So do make use of the time and study. Stay off SDN, no matter how addictive it may be! Good luck.

9. skyisblue

skyisblue 2+ Year Member

Dec 25, 2006
    DAT in August is fine especially if you have good gpa. make sure you submit apps early though and rock the dat.