Is dental assistant a requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to do an internship at a dental office as a dental assistant.
I do not have any experience but the doctor is willing to train me like 3 times a week.
It is not a paid position.
Is working as a dental assistant a requirement for dental schools?
Do you guys think this is a good practice and worth it to spend my entire summer as a dental assistant?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have any experience but the doctor is willing to train me like 3 times a week.
No, most schools require shadowing, but not assisting. However, working as an assistant will fulfill shadowing hours. Make sure you keep track of how many hours you assist/shadow.
Do you guys think this is a good practice and worth it to spend my entire summer as a dental assistant?
Yes, I do think your time will be well spent assisting. You will get a real good idea if dentistry is for you along with great experience.

See my answer above. Good luck!

I wouldn't be an assistant if I wasn't going to be paid. What's that about? He's paying the other assistants... if you're doing the same job, what gives? He's getting a free assistant that he doesn't have to pay $12/hr, sounds like he's taking advantage of you.

If you do get paid I don't think it counts for shadowing, though I could be wrong on that (anyone know that?).

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree you should be paid. I work as an dental assistant, was trained in-house, and am being paid.

It does still count as hours because you are still getting experience. I've checked :)

I think it is different because the dentist is not training this person to work there he/she is training them to be a dental assistant. If you were going to some kind of training program you would be paying to be there. Anyways I would think it would be worth your time for the experience alone.