Is dental school and option for a student with these grades (COVID-19 p/f)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Underdog147

Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently a sophomore (rising Junior) in college and I've been pre-med the past two years. I've been doing some soul-searching and have come to the decision that I want to seriously consider other fields of clinical care, as I want to be sure I'm pursuing a path I feel best suits me an my interests, as opposed to clinging to one field in particular, and for that I'm considering dentistry! I've actually already done quite a bit of shadowing, (I believe about 60-70 hours my freshman year), I found the career very interesting but I only really did it just so I could see other fields, but never gave it serious consideration. I come to the forum today because I find myself in a pickle, as we know, many schools (including my own) instituted system-wide changes in grading policies for the previous semester, which meant many schools going default P/F grading. My school had gave the option to revert back to letter grading if we so chose, to which, I reluctantly did not. In addition to this, I do have some serious mistakes in my transcript that I do regret, and I wanted to come see if considering dental school was realistic considering my previous mistakes, these include:

1. a C+ in calculus II (semester 1)
2. a "P" in a Spanish class (semester 1), don't think it's too relevant but I thought I'd include it.
2. a C- in Stats (semester 2)
3. a "P" grade in Physics I (done before Covid-19) (I intend on taking calculus-based physics) (semester 3)
4. a "P" grade in both Ochem I and Ochem I lab, these WERE taken in the previous semester, where default grading was P/F due to COVID-19 (semester 4)
- These classes were taken P/F in addition to two other classes, college writing and Arabic language 2, which were also taken P/F, meaning I took four classes last semester, and took four classes P/F last semester.
Note: I have the grades to these classes, which were A's in all of the classes except core Ochem I, which was either a C+ or B-, but I can appeal to have them placed on my transcript in addition to the official "P" letter grade, if I so eventually choose.
I've gone through a lot of trial and tribulation in respect to study habits and handling class difficulty, and I'm getting much better, other than these mishaps I've gotten A's,
A-'s, and two B+'s, with my other pre-req work being A's (except for Gen chem I, I received a B, semester 1). I have a GPA of a 3.250 right now, I'm taking summer classes and should be at a 3.37 by the time they are over. I have two years left, and based upon official GPA calculations, can still get a 3.7-3.77 GPA, for both STEM and Cumulative. Is dental school an option? I know they haven't been as lenient with COVID-19 P/F as medical school has, and I genuinely want to know if dental school is a feasible option, because I know the profession puts more weight on GPA than medical school, however I don't know about this for certain. Please give your absolute honest opinions, as doing so would really help me out right now, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to WAMC thread instead of posting here.
And follow the proper format. Make it concise or give a TLDR.