Is dental school debt as difficult to pay off as medical school debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh my...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm gong to a private school. Just want to double check though. According to you I'm either 01: not a competitive applicant 02: don't care about money or 03: am financially stupid?

TIL

Sorry bro didnt mean it so harshly. This is why I initially refrained from posting, someone is bound to get hurt. I take back what I said. Besides, I was only talking from the perspective of someone who was interested in solely money. Youre clearly not so good for you!

Sorry bro didnt mean it so harshly. This is why I initially refrained from posting, someone is bound to get hurt. I take back what I said. Besides, I was only talking from the perspective of someone who was interested in solely money. Youre clearly not so good for you!
Hey it's no problem. Sometimes typed words come across differently than how we intend. Best of luck in whenever you are with dental school (not sure if you're applying, matriculating, or currently in)! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
@fellowstudent92 It's nice that you took it back as you almost insulted half of dental professionals in the past and in the future! It's bad that I wrote the longest comment in my head at work to type it when I get home and it's all good now (is it?).

I'm gong to a private school. Just want to double check though. According to you I'm either 01: not a competitive applicant 02: don't care about money or 03: am financially stupid?

TIL
So which one of the three are you?

to quote someone as financially stupid or not competitive enough for the limited slots in public schools that give in state after a year/their state's own instate school is completely ignorant.

each state's in state have like 50 slots (small state) to 200 slots (big state) and each public school that give OOS after 1 year have like 25 OOS slots (Uconn that prefers neighboring states or east side states) or 40 OOS slots (UNLV), etc etc

just banking on these slots to determine the competitiveness of a student is not right.

you just gotta play the card you are dealt with. if you are given the luck to get one of these limited slots at public school/OOS public that give in state after 1 year, you should be grateful and do something good later to return the karma. if you are given the luck of becoming a dentist at all at a private school, you should still be grateful.

Reactions: 1 users
to quote someone as financially stupid or not competitive enough for the limited slots in public schools that give in state after a year/their state's own instate school is completely ignorant.

each state's in state have like 50 slots (small state) to 200 slots (big state) and each public school that give OOS after 1 year have like 25 OOS slots (Uconn that prefers neighboring states or east side states) or 40 OOS slots (UNLV), etc etc

just banking on these slots to determine the competitiveness of a student is not right.

you just gotta play the card you are dealt with. if you are given the luck to get one of these limited slots at public school/OOS public that give in state after 1 year, you should be grateful and do something good later to return the karma. if you are given the luck of becoming a dentist at all at a private school, you should still be grateful.

I am grateful to attend one of those schools, but a 300K+ education is still pretty hard to swallow. :( I can't even imagine how people are coping with 400-500K educations....

Now if only they'd pass this bill giving us subsidized loans..

I am grateful to attend one of those schools, but a 300K+ education is still pretty hard to swallow. :( I can't even imagine how people are coping with 400-500K educations....

Now if only they'd pass this bill giving us subsidized loans..

if the school you attend to cost 300k+ (including interest, tuition and fee, and living cost), it is still the best deal ever, probably just more expensive than your state's in state school. heck, some state's instate school has price similar than that or more expensive.

if you come in with no undergrad debt or little undergrad debt, that is a good deal already. when you graduate, go work some years to pay it off aggressively or let the private bank buy your loan and refinance at lower interest (3%?) then you are set

a nice house will cost like 200k in a okay area or 500k in a nice area so in a grand scheme of thing, it is already so good to be true.

Reactions: 1 user
if the school you attend to cost 300k+ (including interest, tuition and fee, and living cost), it is still the best deal ever, probably just more expensive than your state's in state school. heck, some state's instate school has price similar than that or more expensive.

if you come in with no undergrad debt or little undergrad debt, that is a good deal already. when you graduate, go work some years to pay it off aggressively or let the private bank buy your loan and refinance at lower interest (3%?) then you are set

a nice house will cost like 200k in a okay area or 500k in a nice area so in a grand scheme of thing, it is already so good to be true.

200k for a house?! I'd like to know where this area is! That much doesn't even get you half a house in Denver right now......

200k for a house?! I'd like to know where this area is! That much doesn't even get you half a house in Denver right now......

200k doesnt even get you 1/3 of a house in SoCal now but it does get you a house in Arizona, Nevada, to my current knowledge

200k doesnt even get you 1/3 of a house in SoCal now but it does get you a house in Arizona, Nevada, to my current knowledge
My parents bought a beautiful, big brick home in the middle of nowhere Florida for $174,000 a couple of years ago. We are like an hour north of Tampa and 1.5 hours west of Orlando, but only a couple of miles from the beach.

It's a really nice neighborhood too. Their house is honestly one of the smaller ones.

You can buy a VERY nice house in a nice area here for 500k~

real estate tax in texas is one of the cons, you get a house for 500k, you pay 3% in property tax aka 15k per year aka more than 1k per month for just the tax.

it is kinda funny that some people can afford to buy a big house but can't afford to pay the tax.

real estate tax in texas is one of the cons, you get a house for 500k, you pay 3% in property tax aka 15k per year aka more than 1k per month for just the tax.

it is kinda funny that some people can afford to buy a big house but can't afford to pay the tax.

I guess it's sort of offset by no income tax.

I'm so sorry. That is like the absolute middle of nowhere. I hope to God they're retired and don't have to find a place to work out there in no man's land.
Yep! My father retired and my mother is a manager at a local state park. I'm living with them for this gap year and work for a school district. The drive to Tampa isn't too awful - I do it basically every weekend to hangout with my old friends from undergrad.