Is Dental School even possible for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ninoa21

Reaction score
Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 3.25 (will finish with over 3.45)
Science GPA: N/A (Please Read Body) (will finish in the 3.8 area)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: N/A
DAT score (include AA and all sections): N/A
State of Residence:
Florida

Undergrad Attended:
Florida Atlantic University
Major: Political Science (considering Post-Bacc)
Minor: If double minor, list both here
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, previous business owner

Shadowing Experience: Will have over 1000 hours between shadowing and assisting
Volunteering Experience: 500 Leadership on campus
Employment: Former business owner 75 hours a week (ten years)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:
1) University of Florida 2) Nova 3) LECOM 4) Anyone who will take me in the USA (I'll go to hell and back if I have to)

Hello All,

I am a non-traditional student as I am turning 30 this month and this is my second go around with school. When I turned 20, I was lucky enough to own a successful business where about 30 - 50 people worked for me (non-medical business). I went to school intermittently from 20 - 25 until I decided that my company needed my full attention. My grades were terrible I don't remember my exact GPA, but I was at about a 2.5 (back then). I have a ton of Withdrawals on my record from that period also, I didn't want to accept that I did not have the time to be an excellent student this hurt my GPA. Eventually, I sold my business I and went back to school (full time, no job). I tried to switch my Major from Political Science to Biology with the intention of setting myself up for dental school, but my University told me that I had too many credits in my major, so I was forced to finish my Political Science Major.

Since I returned to school, I have maintained a 4.0 GPA, and I am about to graduate. I will end up graduating with 3.3ish (I took a ton of credits). At this moment I am taking Bio 1 and Chem 1 with the intention of going back for a Post-Bacc (that I may not complete because I want to go to Dental School ASAP) to complete my prerequisites for Dental school. I know its easier said than done, but fully expect to finish all of my upcoming science courses with a 4.0 and my GPA should spike to a 3.4 - 3.5 ish (maybe).

My questions are these: does a candidate like me with such a low GPA at the beginning of my academic career and questionable decision making ten years ago even have a shot? I know nothing is guaranteed and the DAT is important but will I be able to take just the required courses or should I consider completing the Post-Bacc? Does that matter? I have a ton of leadership experience on campus and I shadow (hopefully assisting soon) at my cousin's Dental Office, so I feel that my softs are ok. I just worried about my grade situation. Also, will my Post-Bacc grades be counted to help improve my overall GPA?

P.s. I've taken very few science classes over the course of my college career so I am expecting to finish with a very high Science GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission:
Overall GPA: 3.25 (will finish with over 3.45)
Science GPA: N/A (Please Read Body) (will finish in the 3.8 area)
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: N/A
DAT score (include AA and all sections): N/A
State of Residence:
Florida

Undergrad Attended:
Florida Atlantic University
Major: Political Science (considering Post-Bacc)
Minor: If double minor, list both here
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes, previous business owner

Shadowing Experience: Will have over 1000 hours between shadowing and assisting
Volunteering Experience: 500 Leadership on campus
Employment: Former business owner 75 hours a week (ten years)
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Leadership
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:
School list:
1) University of Florida 2) Nova 3) LECOM 4) Anyone who will take me in the USA (I'll go to hell and back if I have to)

Hello All,

I am a non-traditional student as I am turning 30 this month and this is my second go around with school. When I turned 20, I was lucky enough to own a successful business where about 30 - 50 people worked for me (non-medical business). I went to school intermittently from 20 - 25 until I decided that my company needed my full attention. My grades were terrible I don't remember my exact GPA, but I was at about a 2.5 (back then). I have a ton of Withdrawals on my record from that period also, I didn't want to accept that I did not have the time to be an excellent student this hurt my GPA. Eventually, I sold my business I and went back to school (full time, no job). I tried to switch my Major from Political Science to Biology with the intention of setting myself up for dental school, but my University told me that I had too many credits in my major, so I was forced to finish my Political Science Major.

Since I returned to school, I have maintained a 4.0 GPA, and I am about to graduate. I will end up graduating with 3.3ish (I took a ton of credits). At this moment I am taking Bio 1 and Chem 1 with the intention of going back for a Post-Bacc (that I may not complete because I want to go to Dental School ASAP) to complete my prerequisites for Dental school. I know its easier said than done, but fully expect to finish all of my upcoming science courses with a 4.0 and my GPA should spike to a 3.4 - 3.5 ish (maybe).

My questions are these: does a candidate like me with such a low GPA at the beginning of my academic career and questionable decision making ten years ago even have a shot? I know nothing is guaranteed and the DAT is important but will I be able to take just the required courses or should I consider completing the Post-Bacc? Does that matter? I have a ton of leadership experience on campus and I shadow (hopefully assisting soon) at my cousin's Dental Office, so I feel that my softs are ok. I just worried about my grade situation. Also, will my Post-Bacc grades be counted to help improve my overall GPA?

P.s. I've taken very few science classes over the course of my college career so I am expecting to finish with a very high Science GPA
As a fellow non-trad, I can say that most schools do take every aspect of your application into account. If you're able to explain your state of mind 10 years ago, I'm sure they will understand. Honestly, it's impressive that you were even able to run a business that young, and you will be able to carry over those skills to potentially owning a practice one day. The important thing is not to beat yourself up about past mistakes. Think about what you learned and be able to talk about that in the personal statement, secondary applications, and interview, and you should be okay.

As far as your overall grades, you can do informal post-bacc work by taking just required courses (and maybe a few additional upper-level sciences) to boost your GPA. A formal post-bacc is definitely not a requirement. Post-bacc grades are factored in to overall and science GPAs. You will have separate GPAs for undergraduate with breakdowns of freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior GPAs. AADSAS also calculates separate biology, chemistry, physics, etc. GPAs, and mine were all over the place.

Make sure you study seriously for the DAT as well.

You definitely have a shot. Just keep working hard, and I think you'll be set.

Reactions: 1 user