SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is dental school hard?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by dddsmack, Apr 15, 2007.

Is dental school hard for you?

1. Yes

54.0%
  2. No

46.0%
  1. dddsmack

dddsmack my baby and I 2+ Year Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Heber City Native
    Well, is it hard for you? Simple question, simple answers please.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show Dentist Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2006
    I don't understand the question. If you mean "Can dental school scratch a diamond" or "Will my dental school break if I drop it off of the table" the answer is yes and no.

4. dddsmack

Sep 21, 2006
    Heber City Native
    I mean is it flaccid or erect?

5. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Canada
    Yes it does get me hard.

6. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    :laugh: :laugh: , topic over here always get off topic.

7. OceanBlue

OceanBlue HA! I knew it. 2+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2007
    South
    Bahahahahah! The "mack" daddy!

8. maksidaa

maksidaa shaniqua 7+ Year Member

Aug 24, 2005
    athens. ga
    in english we don't characterize nouns as feminine or masculine, so you would have to look to other languages to determine if:
    1) dental school is a female or a male
    2) dental school is capable of being hard

in espanol, you would say "la escuela" so it would be feminine so...

9. Sprgrover

Sprgrover Pulped out Moderator Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Let's keep the discussion on topic. Thanks.

10. DDSY

DDSY Bright Lights at Night 7+ Year Member

Sep 1, 2006
    United States
    People's answer to this poll depends on their personality and how well they are doing in dental school.

11. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    it also depends on the dental school.

12. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing 7+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2005
    dental school is hard and easy at the same time. Throw that paradox into your poll.

13. dinesh

Mar 31, 2005
    Canada
    On a serious note, it's alot of work, but I don't think it's hard...yet.
    When clinics start I'll let you know:)

14. shamrock2006

shamrock2006 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    I would say it depends on how well you're trying to do. If you're looking to just skate by and barely pass everything, its probably easier than making the grade to get into dschool. But if you're looking to have the option of possibly specializing, I would imagine it would be pretty difficult. Granted I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but I would assume thats the way it works.

15. I'mFillingFine

I'mFillingFine Pulptastic 5+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Shuffled off....
    Academics = Easier than I thought
    Finding interesting people who will actually go out on weekends = MUCH harder than I thought.

Each class is not bad...very similar to a 500-level bio course in undergrad. However, you may have 10 at a time. :scared: If you're a good planner, you can spread out your studying and do a few hours a night and be fine. Dont' know about preclin/clinic yet since I'm a first year.

btw, excellent poll to the OP...thanks for not being a pansy and offering the gray areas! :bow:

16. BigRedDentist

BigRedDentist Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2005
    Completly agree...flaccidly

17. dddsmack

Sep 21, 2006
    Heber City Native
    I knew it would be a great poll the minute I saw Armor get after me. He doesn't go after just anyone. :laugh:

18. dddsmack

Sep 21, 2006
    Heber City Native
    Thanks. That is exactly what I want.

19. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut 5+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2005
    NY
    not really....there will always be people in my class who choose to go out during weekends whenever there isn't an exam block coming up (in which case, i wouldn't plan on going out either). in fact, some people go out on weekdays, lol (especially now that anatomy is over)

20. utahdentist2be

utahdentist2be Home Skillet 5+ Year Member

The one thing I find interesting about the results is that there are people who voted "No" who have yet to even start dental school? Hmmmmmm

21. Wayne Coronado

Wayne Coronado Edentulistic Savant 2+ Year Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Pinacoladaburg
    Well said...:thumbup:

We got off to a good running start first year with the parties/clubs/bars, but the finish left something to be desired. It might of had something to do with 90% of our class being married by the end of 2nd year, but this is pure speculation :D

22. 1992Corolla

1992Corolla CheerioKing 7+ Year Member

Sep 19, 2005
    hence my vote of NO!:D

23. Jaybe

Jaybe Lazy Tongs 7+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Dental school is inherently easy, which is why all the people who are too dumb for med school go there. Like me.

24. dentheartthrob

dentheartthrob DreamDMDweaver 10+ Year Member

Apr 14, 2005

25. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    :laugh: :laugh: , you always have something funny to say.

26. OceanBlue

Feb 21, 2007
    South
    ooohhhh snap! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

27. 12YearOldKid

12YearOldKid 5+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I don't understand all these people who say dental school isn't hard. Do these people just think it makes them look smart or are there really schools out there that are easy. I can state unequivocally that nobody in my class thinks dental school is easy.

I graduated college in 3 yrs. I got the first A in organic chemistry that my professor had awarded in over 5 yrs. I was the #1 graduating science student in my university class. But dental school has definitely not been easy for me. Actually, it has sucked. :D

28. 12YearOldKid

12YearOldKid 5+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I think maybe it has more to do with what kind of person you are. I never struggled in college. Other people would spend hours and hours studying for physics or organic chemistry. Those subjects came easy for me and I never had to study much. I just "got" it.

But dental school isn't about understanding a concept and applying it. The first two years is about second guessing what answer the professor wants on one poorly written exam after another. It is about memorizing pages and pages of microorganisms, pathology, and obscure anatomical structures. Regurgitate and forget.

The second two years are about wading your way through reams of paperwork and beauracracy. It is about your life being run by an endless parade of secretaries who second guess your treatment decisions but don't even know the difference between a bridge and a partial denture.

I guess what makes it so hard for me isn't so much the material. It is the pointless inefficiency and lack of control that really weighs me down.

29. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show Dentist Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2006
    Looks like someone wasn't a biochem major :laugh:

30. Mustt Mustt

Mustt Mustt Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Great Lakes State
    Tomorrow will be the last day of 2nd semester of D1 year and to tell you the truth it hasn't been hard at all. At times time consuming? yes but not hard. Most part I find time to do anything and whatever I want to do. I spend lots of time watching sports and on some weekends I don't do any studying at all. Passing by is not hard. When it comes to pre clinic it depends on individual. I used to spend lots of outside class time in lab and now I don't spend that much anymore. If you want to just pass by in didactic I say it is easier than undergrad. material is not hard it is just too much.

31. I'mFillingFine

Jul 23, 2005
    Shuffled off....

This sounds like an administrative issue perhaps. I'm sure that faculty support and how signing-off is organized varies a huge amount from school to school.

I have indeed noticed that in dental school, you start clean - undergrad performance doesn't have a huge amount to do with it. The trick in school is being able to memorize FAST, study FAST, and being able to study 4+ subjects in one evening without getting confused. I think it's more....intellectual organizing rather than working on the same difficult orgo or physics problem for 2 hours.

32. dentalman

dentalman Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 10, 2004
    It's semantics. One individual class per se is not harder than any of the toughest science classes in college. It is just the sheer volume of them, especially during second year, and the constant hoops to jump through, that make it unpleasant. Free time during dental school is enjoyable. But when it is go time at school, it sucks.

33. I'mFillingFine

Jul 23, 2005
    Shuffled off....
    I do just want to agree that much of it is spitting out exactly what's on professors' powerpoints/PDFs/paper handouts. You WILL learn along the way, but it is entirely from lectures, usually. (Which should ideally follow what's on the boards.) So forget independent exploration :D

34. LonestarYankee

LonestarYankee 2+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Knee deep in ankle-biters
    i don't mean to sound like a complete jerk, but this post just goes to prove that it DOES matter what school you attend. you also shouldn't "weigh-in" on this topic until you've gone experienced more of dental school. i have a hard time respecting a brand new first year saying dental school is easy. btw, i'm actually ashamed of myself that i spent the time to respond to such a ridiculous statement.:thumbdown:

35. LonestarYankee

LonestarYankee 2+ Year Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Knee deep in ankle-biters
    okay, okay... i just read my response, and it did sound pretty arrogant... sorry... sort of...

36. hona

hona Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Sarasota, FL
    It's not hard but I like to say.
    all the work they give us is like putting
    "5 pounds of sh** in a 1 pound bag"

37. OceanBlue

Feb 21, 2007
    South
    well said!

I guess this is why some people experience dramatic emotional stress in dental school....because their 1 pound bag of shyt just burst.....

38. nhasigioi

nhasigioi Nha Sĩ Giỏi 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Sài Gòn
    Dental school is not that hard but learning never ends. It's all up to the individuals. Some prep/restoration may look great to some while others always find room for improvement. The same goes with science classes. It's hard to be on the top. It's easy to get by.

39. dinesh

Mar 31, 2005
    Canada
    Like everything else, it's alot of work.
    I wouldn't say it's hard just yet, just a ****load of work to get done..

40. Lidopaine82

Lidopaine82 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Ohio
    I voted for it being hard. but the more i think about it i just dont know. i think i find it hard just because i really don't study as much as i should. if i did, it would probably be easier :D

41. dddsmack

Sep 21, 2006
    Heber City Native
    You mean you voted that it was hard at Case even though you get damn near 2 days off per week?

42. Lidopaine82

Lidopaine82 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Ohio
    hey i know its not as hard as other schools, but the sporatic half days means that we have more stuff to teach ourselves

43. ChiefSchlep

ChiefSchlep Banned Banned

Apr 9, 2007
    Of course its not hard. Everyone on SDN got a 4.0 in undergrad, is top 5 in their class, and scored a 96 on Part I boards.

44. godbless

godbless 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2005
    who says dental school is hard, the only thing is that you go in with a full head of hair and you come out .........with not much left:D if you are a girl you come out hairer than ever, but if you are a guy, lets just say....ROGANE :p

45. godbless

godbless 7+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Couldnt agree with you more........looking at the poll itself

people who said YES :12YearOldKid,Squished Rat,onetoothleft,fightingspirit.......VERY SQUISHED

people who said NO :hungover:ddsmack,LuckMC11,simpsonj24, Solid Snake DDS.......SOMBODY IS HAVING FUN!

NO offense to anyone;) just my observation.

46. fightingspirit

fightingspirit 5+ Year Member

Dec 26, 2005
    for those who wish to be GPs, dental school isn't bad at all. but for those who want to specialize, it's be in the top 10 of the class or die trying.

getting a C is perfectly fine and easy.
    getting a B is great and a bit difficult.
    getting an A is awesome but it is next to impossible because of the
    1- volume of material
    2-the street smarts you need to know what to study in the little time you have.
    3-the need to be in the right end of the bell curve (unfortunatly, some class professors predetermine the percentage of A's in the class, which fosters competition and ill-will).

yes, dental school is hard.

47. armorshell

Apr 12, 2006
    That's funny, I see an orthodontist and an oral surgeon or two in the "easy" category :laugh:

48. nhasigioi

nhasigioi Nha Sĩ Giỏi 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Sài Gòn
    Unless someone was born with superior hand skills, it's as hard if one wants to be a GP. You may not need to be in the top group for science, but you definitely need to be in the top in the lab and clinic. IMO, that's the one way to be ready by the time you get out.

49. DIRTIE

DIRTIE Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Las Vegas
    It just comes down to what school you attend. Some schools really do make it very difficult, some just don't care about all of the boards part 1 material as long as most of their students are passing and moving on. Some schools add more filler classes in there just for kicks, some give you a day off during the week, some have part or all of the summer off the first 2 years. It just varies so much.

50. IWuvTeef

IWuvTeef Dentist 5+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is not difficult per se, just very time consuming. Time managment is key. Also, it depends on if the clinic directors like you or hate you...

51. dddsmack

Sep 21, 2006
    Heber City Native
    Yeah, I accidentally voted in order to see some results. My bad. But of course the poll is based on opinion and personality etc.